O'Brien commentaries and Academics

Page 2 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 60 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 19 2016 12:45 AM

Beloved:
I alter the Title and the Short Title with my designation "DNCite" for Do Not Cite to alert me to the academy's objections to these titles.

Personally added ?: prefix to resource titles plus ?Plagiarism? tag

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 147
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 19 2016 11:02 PM

Beloved:

I too find this practice to be helpful and I have adopted it with modifications taking into account your observations. I alter the Title and the Short Title with my designation "DNCite" for Do Not Cite to alert me to the academy's objections to these titles.

Thanks a lot Beloved!  Your suggestions as well as those of Francis and Keep Smiling are very helpful. 

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 12:34 PM

Thanks for those who provided feedback and an alternate way in modifying the title and short titles. I may do this myself. 

I tend to open a lot of my stuff from the library (even when writing academic papers) and run the guides afterwards. For some reason instead of using the guides heavily, I've gotten more in the habit of going straight to the library, opening the books I want to research first, then use the guides more as a "fallback" to check to see what else I missed. Therefore, I'd see my tagging when in the library.

It is a great point though about not being able to see the tagging when using guides, etc., so I really like the idea of modifying the title and short titles to be crystal clear about this. Great pointer.

I found out my credit would be about $4.00, so certainly not enough to replace these commentaries. I'll just keep them in my library, flag them and tag them so I won't cite them in academic papers, and just use them for personal benefit.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 881
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 12:57 PM

Has anyone seen a journal or seminary statement on how to handle these? I am curious what the Academy's position is on this kind of thing, and couldn't find anything similar enough in the past to use as a paradigm. 

Posts 322
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 8:35 PM

I use DNR (do not resuscitate) in my secular vocation. I will just tag these resources as DNR (do not regurgitate).Smile

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 11:09 AM

Straining at gnats...

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 12:03 PM

Here in desert country, we have no-see-ums.  You just can't strain against no-see-ums. And they itch worse than mosquitos.

I think this is not a gnat problem; it's a no-see-ums problem.

Years back, when a CEO got caught on tax fraud, we dumped our participation in the company. No holier-than-thou-ism ... just distaste.

If indeed true concerning the behavior being discussed, the writing would be deleted. Period.  Again, assuming if true. Always the question.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 3:18 PM

Justin Gatlin:

Has anyone seen a journal or seminary statement on how to handle these? I am curious what the Academy's position is on this kind of thing, and couldn't find anything similar enough in the past to use as a paradigm. 

My seminary hasn't weighed in, but I have tagged these "Do Not Cite" (and may also add it to the title of the commentary to ensure I don't), and I'm certainly not going to chance citing these in future academic writings for seminary or any other academic writing I'm involved in. The word is out about these, so using them could weaken my future academic writing. They'll still be great for personal use though, and I can just use other academic commentaries on these few Bible books for my academic writing.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 3:39 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Personally added ?: prefix to resource titles plus ?Plagiarism? tag

After rereading Jonathan Ray replies => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/129058/838691.aspx#838691 and => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/129058/838703.aspx#838703

added ?F.F.Bruce? tag to Peter O'Brien resources (along with ?Plagiarism? tag).

Thankful for Todd Phillips reply => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/129058/848368.aspx#848368

Todd Phillips:

From what I've examined just doing Logos searches, this is beyond just reusing ideas. O'Brien often cites his sources without using explicit quotes, but his method of paraphrasing them is to change a word or two here and remove a few others--the kind of stuff high school students get in trouble for.  Illegitimate paraphrasing is shown on this page: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/619/1/ and O'Brien is clearly doing that.

I'd have trouble quoting him knowing that they aren't really his words--but neither are they the exact words of the source, so I can't quote them as the source, either.  Here's an example:

Hellenistic literary devices, such as repetition, anaphora, inclusio, parallelism, rhetorical questions, direct address to the listeners, oratorical imperative, ‘hook words’, and the like were employed by the author as he composed his ‘word of exhortation’ to be read aloud in the congregation to which it was addressed.
Peter T. O’Brien, The Letter to the Hebrews, The Pillar New Testament Commentary (Grand Rapids, MI; Nottingham, England: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2010), 24.

Devices like repetition, anaphora, inclusio, responsio, parallelism, catchword association, oratorical imperatives, direct address to the listeners, rhetorical questions, “hook-words,” and the like are present in Hebrews because of the need to provide oral assistance to the listeners.
William L. Lane, Hebrews 1–8, vol. 47A, Word Biblical Commentary (Dallas: Word, Incorporated, 1998), lxxv.

Personal desire for "?:" in titles is reminder to diligently research plus test and hold onto what is good. For paper writing, would ponder including many sources along with comments about similarities (plagiaristic workflow) and differences. Innovation is using existing items in different (creative) way(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 3:42 PM

Maybe label them "anathema"?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 268
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 2:50 AM

I thought Logos wouldn't remove Peter T. O'Brien's commentary from our library (and I think they don't have the right to do that, since I bought the book). But now it seems they did and I wasn't aware of it...

Does any of you still have O'Brien's commentary on Hebrews (Pillar), Ephesians (Pillar) or Philippians (NIGTC)?

Posts 561
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 2:58 AM

Michel Pauw:

Does any of you still have O'Brien's commentary on Hebrews (Pillar), Ephesians (Pillar) or Philippians (NIGTC)?

I still have those three commentaries.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 901
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 3:09 AM

Michel Pauw:

I thought Logos wouldn't remove Peter T. O'Brien's commentary from our library (and I think they don't have the right to do that, since I bought the book). But now it seems they did and I wasn't aware of it...

Michael

I have the 2 Pillar volumes in my library, but curiously I can't find them by searching by his name, but only by searching for Pillar.

Posts 21858
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 3:09 AM

Scott E. Mahle:

Michel Pauw:

I still have those three commentaries.

And so do I

Posts 9964
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 3:38 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Michel Pauw:

Michael

I have the 2 Pillar volumes in my library, but curiously I can't find them by searching by his name, but only by searching for Pillar.

Did you by chance use the accent character instead of the apostrophe to type O'Brien? For me, filtering for author:o'brien will display the Pillar books (plus more by him and other authors named O'Brien). Unfortunately I never had the NIGTC book by him in my library.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10519
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 6:35 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Leave out the apostrophe in your search criteria. Also, check your spelling of O'Brien.

Posts 901
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 7:14 AM

NB.Mick:

Paul Caneparo:

Michel Pauw:

Michael

Did you by chance use the accent character instead of the apostrophe to type O'Brien? For me, filtering for author:o'brien will display the Pillar books (plus more by him and other authors named O'Brien). Unfortunately I never had the NIGTC book by him in my library.  

Works as you describe on a desktop. But doesn't on my tablet, which is my default method of using Faithlife.

Posts 901
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 7:15 AM

Jack Caviness:

Paul Caneparo:

Leave out the apostrophe in your search criteria. Also, check your spelling of O'Brien.

Correct for a desktop. I was using my tablet though. It's obviously not a major problem.

Posts 21858
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 7:54 AM

Paul Caneparo:
Works as you describe on a desktop. But doesn't on my tablet

Very strange - and I see the problem on my iPad

Strangely - it does find them if I just use "obrien"

Posts 901
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2018 7:57 AM

Graham Criddle:

Paul Caneparo:
Works as you describe on a desktop. But doesn't on my tablet

Very strange - and I see the problem on my iPad

Strangely - it does find them if I just use "obrien"

Strange it works on an iPad. Doesn't on my Android. Even more strange "O'Brien" does get results, but for Brandon O'Brien.

Page 2 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS