Martin Luther's Galatians Commentary: Whole Section Missing?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 26 2016 3:25 PM

It seems that Martin Luther's comments on Galatians 3:24-29 are missing from: 

Luther, Martin. Commentary on Galatians. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997.

Luther clearly did not skip over commenting on this section, as other versions of his commentary will attest. I am wondering if the omission in the version I've cited is intentional or not.

Posts 438
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 3:36 PM

Thanks Jonathan - I can confirm that I have the same omission in my copy of that text (Luther, Martin. Commentary on Galatians. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997). By comparison the Crossway version (Luther, Martin. Galatians. Crossway Classic Commentaries. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 1998) has that missing section present. I would also raise the same question you have raised.  Keep well Paul

Posts 360
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 5:42 PM

Hello Jonathan my copy Commentary on Galatians, by Martin Luther the section is missing.  But my copy of

THE CROSSWAY CLASSIC COMMENTARIES
Galatians

Luther, M. (1998). Galatians (p. iii). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books.

has it included, just fyi

Posts 1120
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 8:07 PM

So many years--I wonder if you are the first to notice? This is one I've always wanted to go through cover to cover, but obviously that hasn't happened yet.,. Embarrassed

Posts 105
William M. Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 8:58 PM

I have this resource also and you are right. It is missing. Hopefully, Logos will update this resource in the near future. I only paid $4.00 for it. Maybe that is why it was so cheap.

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2016 9:06 AM

Thank you all. I appreciate the replies.

Posts 1051
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2016 9:47 AM

Thanks for reporting this.

FWIW, our edition is not the Crossway Edition. It's an entirely different translation.

That being said we're tracking down additional materials to figure out what is happening.

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2016 10:04 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Thanks for reporting this.

FWIW, our edition is not the Crossway Edition. It's an entirely different translation.

That being said we're tracking down additional materials to figure out what is happening.

Thank you, Kyle. It happened to be the one passage in the commentary I was looking up :-)

Posts 1120
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 12 2017 5:08 PM

Bumping this thread over a year later. I'm reading through the Commentary for Reformation 500--and the section is still missing.

Kyle G. Anderson:

ETA: I'm trying to track down an online version for the missing section. Unfortunately, all the ones I'm finding at CCEL etc. all seem to be highly abridged. Does anyone have a link to the full text?

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 13 2017 1:34 AM

Hi Sean, 

I've just noticed this myself.  I have not been able to track down this particular edition in book form online but there is a version of the commentary here:

http://www.godrules.net/library/luther/NEWluther_a3.htm 

This is the same translation as the Logos edition and includes the missing section! 

It was published by James Clarke in 1953 and edited by Philip S. Watson. 

I hope Kyle is still following this thread and can perhaps use this to repair our truncated version. 

Colin 

EDIT: a 'cleaner' version is found here:

http://www.lutherdansk.dk/1%20Galatian%201535%20-%20old/A%20COMMENTARY%20ON.htm 

Posts 1454
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 13 2017 2:15 AM

I checked a Finnish translation, and it looks like the end part of the verse 23 is also missing.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 13 2017 2:17 AM

Veli Voipio:

I checked a Finnish translation, and it looks like the end part of the verse 23 is also missing.

Yes, that's right Veli - I noticed that too but forgot to mention it. 

Colin

Posts 1051
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 13 2017 8:18 AM

Colin:

Hi Sean, 

I've just noticed this myself.  I have not been able to track down this particular edition in book form online but there is a version of the commentary here:

http://www.godrules.net/library/luther/NEWluther_a3.htm 

This is the same translation as the Logos edition and includes the missing section! 

It was published by James Clarke in 1953 and edited by Philip S. Watson. 

I hope Kyle is still following this thread and can perhaps use this to repair our truncated version. 

Colin 

EDIT: a 'cleaner' version is found here:

http://www.lutherdansk.dk/1%20Galatian%201535%20-%20old/A%20COMMENTARY%20ON.htm 

Thanks Colin--I'll take a look. These might be of great help.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS