Is the basic engine of logos 7 free like logos 6 was?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13
Martin Scott Kemp | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 2 2016 11:31 PM

Hi there

When Logos 6 was released, you could download the basic framework free without having to pay $$$ to upgrade. I am fearful that buying into logos (and buying resources) is committing me to more money as I maintain accessibility as the new versions come out. Starting to wonder whether Im better off finacially to by resources in hard copy. It feels like the business model is based on charging people to maintain accessibility to resources. Anyone else get this feeling? Having the basic engine free to upgrade will be of great help, that way I'll keep buying Logos resources. Is this indeed the case?

Thanks!

Marty K.

Posts 24527
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2016 11:38 PM

Martin Scott Kemp:
When Logos 6 was released, you could download the basic framework free without having to pay $$$ to upgrade

The free engine was made available but sometime after launch - and the same model is applying to Logos 7

Martin Scott Kemp:
It feels like the business model is based on charging people to maintain accessibility to resources

I don't see that - there are charges for new resources and new features (some of those charges are based on subscription models)

Martin Scott Kemp:
Having the basic engine free to upgrade will be of great help

The last we heard is that the free engine is scheduled to be released in February 2017. 

Posts 13
Martin Scott Kemp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2016 11:44 PM

Thanks Graham,

I've seen a note about a web app with the "look and feel of logos 7" that will be released in Feb, is that the same thing as the free engine upgrade?

Posts 550
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2016 11:50 PM

The free engine I understand is not that much different (if any) than Logos 6. Is that correct? To get the tools, one does have to buy now (or then) the full feature tools ... again, correct or am I in error?

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 9.2 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 24527
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2016 11:57 PM

Martin Scott Kemp:
I've seen a note about a web app with the "look and feel of logos 7" that will be released in Feb, is that the same thing as the free engine upgrade?

I haven't seen that note so not exactly sure what it says - but the "web app" and the free engine upgrade are different.

As part of a Logos Now subscription you get access to the web app - which is currently under development. This allows you to access your resources on the web through a standard Internet browser without having resources downloaded to your local computer. It doesn't currently support all the features of Logos 7 on the desktop but it is moving in that direction.

The free engine upgrade will upgrade the Logos software on your desktop which is then used to access your resources downloaded onto the desktop

Posts 24527
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2016 12:00 AM

Bootjack:
The free engine I understand is not that much (if any) than Logos 6. Is that correct?

The free engine will include some of the capabilities included in Logos 7 (and not available in Logos 6) but we haven't seen a definitive list of what will be included as yet.

Some context from Phil Gons is available at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/129519/841680.aspx#841680 

Posts 29247
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2016 4:06 AM

Graham Criddle:
As part of a Logos Now subscription you get access to the web app

...you also gain access to the L7 engine. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29247
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2016 4:08 AM

Bootjack:
The free engine I understand is not that much different (if any) than Logos 6. Is that correct?

That is always the case, as the engine is constantly in development. The differences between late L6.x builds and early L7.x will not be that great. They are a continuation, one to the other. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2016 4:43 AM

alabama24:

Bootjack:
The free engine I understand is not that much different (if any) than Logos 6. Is that correct?

That is always the case, as the engine is constantly in development. The differences between late L6.x builds and early L7.x will not be that great.

There could be some new features e.g Quickstart Layouts, improvements to Text Comparison, Bible Word Study panel linking, Media tool - though some will depend on what Logos 6 features you own.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS