Best one volume commentary

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 11 2010 5:21 PM

What I can think of are:

New International Bible Commentary

New Bible Commentary, 21st Century Edition

The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: Abridged (2 Vols.) (not exactly one volume, but I think it is at the same type of those)

The Bible Knowledge Commentary

It seems that New Bible Commentary, 21st Century Edition is the best among the one volume commentary. Do you have any idea about which one is the best?

By the way, I want to ask what is the main difference between a one volume commentary and the footnotes of a study Bible, let say, the ESV Study Bible.

Thanks.

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 11 2010 7:07 PM

Kolen Cheung:

By the way, I want to ask what is the main difference between a one volume commentary and the footnotes of a study Bible, let say, the ESV Study Bible.

Probably depends on the commentary/study notes. But I know MacArthur's study Bible and Single Volume Bible commentary are almost identical.

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 1686
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 11 2010 8:19 PM

Lots of factors: needs, expectations, beliefs...

For me, the NBC is the most useful single-volume commentary I own.
Current. Clear. Concise. Informed.
A distillation of the key things to be aware of in any passage.

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 1:23 AM

I just realised that Logos carries the NBC.  I wonder what books are in the tournament of this year's March Madness?  Perhaps the NBC would make a good candidate?  [hint, hint, hint]  Wink

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 1:36 AM

Good reminder. I will wait until I saw the list.

Thanks.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 2:04 AM

Some years ago I had been using Bible Knowledge Commentary a lot. After finding NBC in Logos, I use it as my preferred one-volume-commentary since and am very happy with it.

Bohuslav

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 7:09 AM

I enjoy BKC more than NBC...but I've only used them in Malachi so far, so I don't exactly have a broad comparison of the two yet.

EDIT - I also have not been terribly impressed with the Believer's Bible Commentary, counter to all the praise I've seen for it...but again, my only reference point so far is its treatment of Malachi (which is very shallow...more of a summary than a commentary.)

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 10:18 PM

David Gullick:
But I know MacArthur's study Bible and Single Volume Bible commentary are almost identical.

I did a search on that. And I found that there is a MacArthur's Study Bible and a MacArthur's Bible Commentary. It is even more confusing. What's the difference between the two?

Thanks.

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 10:19 PM

It seems that NBC is the best. How about Baker Commentary on the Bible / Evangelical Commentary on the Bible? How is it compare to that?

Thanks.

Posts 595
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 11:52 PM

It's 2 volumes: IVP Bible Background Commentary - one for OT, one for NT.

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 1:10 AM

Pam Larson:
IVP Bible Background Commentary

It seems great on the background. But it is not on Logos. I was looking at the Zondervan one, but it is 9 volumes comparing to 2 vol. here.

Other good suggestion about the background?

Thanks.

Posts 1658
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 10:07 AM

IVP Bible Background Commentary

It seems great on the background. But it is not on Logos.

YES it is.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 595
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 11:57 AM

Logos needs to improve their product search. It's part of the Essential IVP Reference Collection:

http://www.logos.com/products/details/1516

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 1:38 PM

Thanks. It is so good. So, are the individual titles in the "The Essential IVP Reference Collection Version 3" are generally one of the best?

e.g. how you compare the "Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology" with the "New Dictionary of Biblical Theology"?

Also, the "New Bible Dictionary" is already included in the base package. Will there be further discount on that then?

Thanks.

Posts 595
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 5:27 PM

Kolen Cheung:

Thanks. It is so good. So, are the individual titles in the "The Essential IVP Reference Collection Version 3" are generally one of the best?

e.g. how you compare the "Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology" with the "New Dictionary of Biblical Theology"?

Also, the "New Bible Dictionary" is already included in the base package. Will there be further discount on that then?

Thanks.

I compared the entries on "Atonement". New Dictionary has 5 1/2 pages, with 7 sub-headings that show up in the table of contents. Evangelical Dictionary has 3 1/2 pages and only 2 sub-headings, OT and NT, which don't show up in the table of contents. So it's easier to find exactly what you're looking for in the New Dictionary.

As to getting a discount, you would need to talk to a salesperson about that.

Posts 1520
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 5:41 PM

Hi Kolen,

I also found The Teacher's Bible Commentary quite good (it's part of the Logos4 base packages, not to be confused with The Teacher's Commentary).

Peter

Posts 8008
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 5:25 PM

And now you can add "The Moody Bible Commentary" available on Vyrso (which by the way is on sale at "pre-pub" price...lol).  I wish you could type a reference and make it jump to it, but its tagging is not as advanced.  Great commentary so far.  Also, just for consideration, don't forget Holman's Concise Bible Commentary, Teacher's Commentary and Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Commentary.

DAL

Posts 9561
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:40 PM

DAL:
And now you can add "The Moody Bible Commentary" available on Vyrso

I appreciate having this in my library. Perhaps it will be available in Logos some day.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:48 PM

Eerdman's Commentary on the Bible, Dunn, Rogerson, 2003 is still the best one volume I know of.... https://www.logos.com/product/36612/eerdmans-commentary-collection#001

And it is tucked away in this commentary collection at the moment though, hope it gets under contract soon.

-Dan

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 11:15 PM

Kolen Cheung:

David Gullick:
But I know MacArthur's study Bible and Single Volume Bible commentary are almost identical.

I did a search on that. And I found that there is a MacArthur's Study Bible and a MacArthur's Bible Commentary. It is even more confusing. What's the difference between the two?

Thanks.

The MacArthur Study Bible contains Dr. MacArthur's notes which really are a shortened form of commentary but in no way are as complete as a full commentary.

Here's a description of the MacArthur Bible Commentary taken from Dr. MacArthur's web site:

In this premiere volume, John MacArthur brings you a complete Bible commentary in one volume. The MacArthur Bible Commentary treats every passage of the Old and New Testaments phrase by phrase, with hundreds of word studies as sidebars throughout. It offers a broad overview of each Bible book and the internal consistency that results from having a single commentator.

In addition, there is a 30 volume set of commentaries on the NT written by Dr. MacArthur.  (No longer available from Logos.)

In Christ,

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS