Crashing on Mac and continuing local remote problems

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 6 2016 2:12 PM

For the past few weeks we have been experiencing a Proclaim crash on Sunday mornings. It crashed once last week during rehearsal on Sunday morning. This morning it crashed once during rehearsal, then again during the actual service. 

Also, for several weeks we have had an issue with the local remote not synchronizing screens. Some screens appear blank with the rotating "wait" icon. This morning the remote eventually synchronized and then the entire Proclaim program crashed for the second time. I thought perhaps this was exacerbated by motion graphics and videos in the presentation, so I took them out this morning with the same results. Same problem with the remote, and in fact it crashed twice this week.

We also experience severe latency on Sunday mornings beginning at about 9:30 central. I don't get sermon notes from our pastor until about an hour before the service, and have great difficulty getting them entered into the sermon slides due to this latency. Sometimes embedded scriptures, example [[John 3:16]], will not populate at all.

I have attached several Mac crash logs and the Proclaim logs for your reference.

Prior to these recent issues we enjoyed four or five weeks with absolutely no problems; it kinda spoiled us!

7220.Crash Logs.zip

1031.2016-11-06 Proclaim Logs.zip

Posts 294
LogosEmployee
Glenn Gervais (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 7:09 AM

Michael-

I've been looking at your logs and trying to reproduce what I'm seeing, but haven't had much luck.

Michael Wright:
For the past few weeks we have been experiencing a Proclaim crash on Sunday mornings. It crashed once last week during rehearsal on Sunday morning. This morning it crashed once during rehearsal, then again during the actual service. 

The logs and crash report indicate an issue with a video decoding, I have not been able to reproduce this with your most recent (2016-11-06 Sunday) presentation. I don't know which video (or motion background) is causing your crashes, but if your crash is consistently reproducible, you can remove one video at a time and determine which slide/video item it is and report back, then we can investigate further, we will probably need the video to so we can figure out a drop box once you know which video is having problems.

Michael Wright:
Also, for several weeks we have had an issue with the local remote not synchronizing screens. Some screens appear blank with the rotating "wait" icon. This morning the remote eventually synchronized and then the entire Proclaim program crashed for the second time. I thought perhaps this was exacerbated by motion graphics and videos in the presentation, so I took them out this morning with the same results. Same problem with the remote, and in fact it crashed twice this week.

I've not been able to reproduce this either, but have an idea on a code change to help prevent the local remote from getting out of sync. Not sure when we will be able to get it in an update. I suspect the remote is not thinking your presentation is different, so it doesn't reload all the slides. A couple things you can try is to edit the presentation (major change such as adding or removing service items, not a simple text change)- the remote should reload the full presentation. As an alternative, you can duplicate your presentation in Proclaim and use that for your church service the remote will see this as a brand new presentation and should download all slides. 

Michael Wright:
We also experience severe latency on Sunday mornings beginning at about 9:30 central. I don't get sermon notes from our pastor until about an hour before the service, and have great difficulty getting them entered into the sermon slides due to this latency. Sometimes embedded scriptures, example [[John 3:16]], will not populate at all.

We call to our servers for these embedded references and I'm seeing lots of failed requests, many with connection timeouts. How strong is your connection to the internet when it gets sluggish?

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2016 9:04 AM

Glenn,

I started testing this last night and it apparently failed within the first hour using the presentation named 2016-11-13 Sunday, which is a copy of the one from last Sunday that failed twice. I had put it on air at about 7:45 PM Central time, just before going to bed. When I got up this morning, it had crashed. 

There was only one motion background in the pre-service loop so I removed that slide and started the test again. I let it run for several hours with no trouble. So I put the slide back into the pre-service loop and started it again. It ran several hours with no trouble. It's never cut-n-dried is it! The motion background in question is from the "Christmas Aurora" collection in the #November2016 media release.

I then went back to the presentation from October 30th, 2016-10-30 Sunday. This presentation had crashed once during rehearsal on the 30th. The pre-service loop of this presentation is loaded with Bible verse videos and motion backgrounds, all from the Proclaim library. I let it run for quite a while, but it would not crash this morning.

As an additional stressor, I inserted the slide with the #November2016 "Christmas Aurora" motion background that I thought might have caused the problem last Sunday.  I put the presentation back online and let it run for quite awhile with no apparent problems.

Is it possible this is occurring due to network load? It seems to occur routinely at times when more churches would be online.

On a side note - I tried to test the local remote but encountered an error saying "the requested address is not valid in this context". I attached a screenshot for you. I have seen this before, and normally have to do a cold reboot of the Mac to get past it. The network is up and running and I am connected.

I have attached a new Mac crash log and Proclaim log extract for you. I will keep testing at this end for you. I am going to let it run until the cows come home!

1222.Proclaim Logs 2016-11-10.zip

2061.Proclaim_2016-11-09-202957_The-Well-2.crash.zip

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 5:10 AM

Glenn,

This is a follow-up on this issue. Everything worked perfectly during yesterday's service. Other than the usual Proclaim program updates, I did not make any hardware changes or re-configurations. 

I intentionally avoided using any motion backgrounds anywhere, and did not include any verse-of-the-day videos in the pre-service loop (just the static images), and I did not export any scripture slides from Logos. In addition, I did not have the usual sermon content slides with embedded scriptures. We had a guest speaker, so I imported his KeyNote presentation; which works like a charm - much thanks. Our guest speaker had never seen Proclaim in action and seemed very surprised to be able to control his own KeyNote slides from the podium.

I did not notice any network lag during the hours when I have grown accustomed to seeing it. All-in-all a perfect morning; AWESOME God, passionate speaker, amazing Praise Team, and technology that is completely invisible. 

Please express my thanks to your team.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS