Cheaper prices Always Great

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 356
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2016 9:43 AM

Dear Logos Users

I for one do not care if a discount down the line beats the prepub price.  For example  I purchased the EEC for $750.00, if down the line they want to sell it for less it is ok with me.  And logos should not have to worry about making up the difference to people who bought it earlier for a higher price.  Logos should not have that kind of restriction on their products. 

What do you think?

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 11:25 AM

Mathew Haferkamp:
What do you think?
I think Logos made it clear that prepub pricing would be the cheapest the item ever was.  Since many people make purchase decisions based upon that information, it is perfectly reasonable to see adjustments for those customers.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3253
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 11:39 AM

TCBlack:
Since many people make purchase decisions based upon that information, ...

I don't think people buy things because there's some guarantee that it will never be sold for less.

I think people buy things because the resources are useful/needed, and they are willing to pay the current price at that moment, be it CP, pre-pub, or live.

Posts 2338
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 11:55 AM

I routinely buy at a bargain. I expect it in fact.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 12:21 PM

Mathew Haferkamp:
What do you think?

I agree, Matthew. Any time Logos can reduce prices is welcome to me. I will not begrudge others the savings.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5095
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 12:49 PM

I think it an unfair burden upon them and an unfair expectation by us to hls them to having the prepub price as the cheapest price forever. I think after 12 months from inital release they should be able to offer the best price in the marketplace regardless of the prepub price.

TCBlack:

Mathew Haferkamp:
What do you think?
I think Logos made it clear that prepub pricing would be the cheapest the item ever was.  Since many people make purchase decisions based upon that information, it is perfectly reasonable to see adjustments for those customers.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 2:30 PM

PetahChristian:

TCBlack:
Since many people make purchase decisions based upon that information, ...

I don't think people buy things because there's some guarantee that it will never be sold for less.

I think it's more a question of reading copy that essentially said, "This is the lowest price you'll ever pay!" and believing it.

In the case of the EEC, this is why I bought it - when I bought it - as opposed to waiting.

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 2:32 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
I think it an unfair burden upon them and an unfair expectation by us to hls them to having the prepub price as the cheapest price forever. I think after 12 months from inital release they should be able to offer the best price in the marketplace regardless of the prepub price.

That's all very fine, and I honestly am not going to whine no matter what. But users didn't paint Logos into a corner, ad copy did.

Check the Wiki

Posts 356
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 3:08 PM

Yes you are right TCBlack, but am I just trying to throw them a tarp to get out of the corner!!! ( I guess a tarp would work not much of a painter)  Also thanks to everybody who responded!!

Posts 3253
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 3:11 PM

I think 12 months is too long, and here's the reason why. Some publishers only offer sales on a particular resource every year or two.

If the upcoming sale falls within that 12-month window, we might have to wait another year or two before that particular sale would be passed on to us again. That's unreasonably long.

I propose a 30-day period, which lines up with FL's return policy, and most stores' price protection offerings. FL wouldn't have to change any procedures, as everything is already in place for that situation.

Posts 3253
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 3:15 PM

Matthew C Jones:

I agree, Matthew. Any time Logos can reduce prices is welcome to me. I will not begrudge others the savings.

Yes In everything, give thanks. If the price drops, and some other Christian is blessed by the same resource we paid a bit more for, why shouldn't we be happy for them?

The notion that no one else should get a better deal than us would seem to run contrary to our new nature.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 4:46 PM

TCBlack:

I think it's more a question of reading copy that essentially said, "This is the lowest price you'll ever pay!" and believing it.

In the case of the EEC, this is why I bought it - when I bought it - as opposed to waiting.

EEC => https://www.logos.com/product/7565/evangelical-exegetical-commentary has many volumes yet to be written and published, which includes nine TBA volumes plus several volumes scheduled for 2023 release (lots of years longer than was advertised/anticipated in 2011). At the time of purchase, was hoping for EEC completion sooner, but understood risks (and wanted to help promote a new digital commentary set).

Do want to see EEC completed;  not know if sale (or reducing price) would help. An EEC promotional idea for new set purchase is $ 200 credit when last volume ships.

Edit: perhaps Peter O'Brien could pen a volume without plagiarism issues.

PetahChristian:
I propose a 30-day period, which lines up with FL's return policy, and most stores' price protection offerings. FL wouldn't have to change any procedures, as everything is already in place for that situation.

Some stores have longer price protection during upcoming Holiday season.  Some time after pre-publication ships (perhaps a few months), like idea of Base Package or Bundle inclusion plus sale opportunities.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5095
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 6:31 PM

30 days is far too short. There has to be reasonable incentive to take up a prepublication offer otherwise people won't sign up and the titles will not get over the line. The 30 day return policy is something totally different and should not be linked to this issue. Pre-publications are also different to  price protection policies store offer. They are for existing product. Pre-publications are asking people to commit to something not yet in production and in some cases like EEC to invest up front before the product and is completed. 

PetahChristian:

I think 12 months is too long, and here's the reason why. Some publishers only offer sales on a particular resource every year or two.

If the upcoming sale falls within that 12-month window, we might have to wait another year or two before that particular sale would be passed on to us again. That's unreasonably long.

Posts 5095
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 6:44 PM

No they didn't but what we are sugesting is we shouldn't hold them to that corner.  But as someone who has purchased in the past based on that price guarantee I recognise there should be some consideration given to that very fact which is why I think a 12 month wait should apply and is a fair and reasonable expectation. 

Thomas I don't think you are whining. You are raising valid points which show why 30 days is unfair and unrealistic. In the case of EEC and any other set released in a line manner the product is not yet complete and I think the 12 month price respect policy countdown till when lower prices can be offered should not start until the final volume in the set is released.  Like you I invested up front a number of years ago and am still waiting for the set to be completed so many understand your concern but also realise we operate in an economy where prices do change.

Posts 356
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 6:59 PM

I agree with you guys as for 3 month to 12 month wait is ok with me and I don't think that would be a problem.  Also the EEC is really a special case, I can't think of another example of paying up front and waiting years for the rest of product to be produced.  In this special one case it wouldn't bother me if it speeds up production.  But I should have used a better example instead of a one time thing.

Thanks for the responses and keep them coming!! 

Posts 3253
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 7:27 PM

30 days is far too short. There has to be reasonable incentive to take up a prepublication offer otherwise people won't sign up and the titles will not get over the line. The 30 day return policy is something totally different and should not be linked to this issue. Pre-publications are also different to  price protection policies store offer. They are for existing product. Pre-publications are asking people to commit to something not yet in production and in some cases like EEC to invest up front before the product and is completed. 

I have a good number of Mobile Ed courses on pre-pub, and understand the intent of pre-pub, to get enough people to commit to it for FL to be able to produce it.

In regard to incentive, how much (more) incentive do people need, besides being given a good deal?

I think that the savings is the (sole) incentive, not some arbitrary "guarantee" that it won't ever be sold for less. For Mobile Ed, the savings is about 40% off regular price.

There's a Mobile Ed sale at present which offers some courses for 35% off. I think that's great, since it gives people the opportunity to buy some courses that were produced before their time.

• Are others going to stop committing to pre-pub, because it might go on sale at some later date?

I don't understand that logic. Either the price is reasonable now, and you want to buy it now, or you don't, because we have no idea if or when a pre-pub will ever go on sale near (or less than) the pre-pub price again.

If people have "buyer's regret" because something is cheaper down the road, it's actually irrational. Either it was a good price at the time when you bought it, or it wasn't. Either you were happy at the time of the original purchase, or you weren't (in which case you can return it).

That's why I associate it with the 30-day policy, because I think the issue really is about whether or not it was a good price at the time, not whether or not the publisher will ever sell it for less down the road.

I don't think people will stop committing to pre-pub. People will buy what they want or need, as long as the price is right for them. It's as simple as that. Either you want it or you don't.

As a relatively new Logos customer, I have some experience with this. I think my sales rep mentioned that particular commentary volumes were initially offered at $1.99, and later on sale for $9.99. Their regular price per volume is about $50. I wasn't a Logos customer back then. I missed out on two spectacular deals. Since I don't want to hold up my studies, I'm willing to pay $50 at present for a volume I need. I'm not unhappy that others got the same volume for $1.99 or $9.99.

Everyone likes bargains. But no one should think, "Wow, I got it for $1.99 when it came out so long ago, and someone else just got it for $1.99 now" and suddenly feel like FL or the publisher "cheated" you months/years down the road. Can't we just be thankful for the price we paid, and also be thankful that others can save money too, even if they save as much (or more than) we did?

If you want 90 days, 180 days, or 360 days, please keep in mind that this only hurts others who missed out on an offer you didn't. Let's please be charitable and let others also benefit from good deals, instead of trying to bolster some "reward" at being one of many having committed initially to make an item available to everyone.

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 10:21 PM

I personally feel prepub need not be lowest. Indeed I n very rare cases it has not been. A while back I remember Zondevan offered each Word Biblical commentary for 9.99 a volume. Now this was well below any prepub price but had Faithlife chosen not to partipate in the sale you can believe people would have been upset. If I have paid $75 for an item liked it and it seems it for months and it suddenly is offered for $25 even though to regular price is s $100 I may feel disapointed that I missed a huge savings but I am happy others can have the fine work I have been using for months. 

Dan

Posts 5095
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2016 11:40 AM

Your response shows me you have no understanding of the prepublication program. You seem to think prepubs  get over the line based on people needing the book.   I would be very surprised if that was the case. Yes of course some will buy for need but there will also be those who sign up because the topic is of interest and the prepub price is supposed to be the best value offer,  Without those signing up less titles will get over the line if they perceive they do t need the book right now and there is potential in the short tem for the price to drop. Neither is there a link to the 30 day return policy and this topic - I do not not understand how you think there is such a link 

I am not saying the  prepub price can not be offered again within the 12 month period, all I have suggested is the price should not be lower.  

And most of your argument is about customers missing out on a price offered years ago because they were not Logos customers. How does that relate to your 30 days? The 12 months I am suggesting is to allow for that very scenario.

Your 30 days is saying that the value of the books we purchase from Logos is very unstable and that we should expect is reasonable after 30 days the price will be lower than the release price.

The real reason for your wanting 30 days comes out in your last paragraph. You think if you miss out on the prepub price you should  be given another bite at the apple for an even lower price.  I have missed out on lots of prepubs and have had to pay higher later simply because it was not in my budget at the time. I don't expect it as a right to get it cheaper later on because I missed out. 

PetahChristian:

I have a good number of Mobile Ed courses on pre-pub, and understand the intent of pre-pub, to get enough people to commit to it for FL to be able to produce it.

In regard to incentive, how much (more) incentive do people need, besides being given a good deal?

I think that the savings is the (sole) incentive, not some arbitrary "guarantee" that it won't ever be sold for less. For Mobile Ed, the savings is about 40% off regular price.

There's a Mobile Ed sale at present which offers some courses for 35% off. I think that's great, since it gives people the opportunity to buy some courses that were produced before their time.

• Are others going to stop committing to pre-pub, because it might go on sale at some later date?

I don't understand that logic. Either the price is reasonable now, and you want to buy it now, or you don't, because we have no idea if or when a pre-pub will ever go on sale near (or less than) the pre-pub price again.

If people have "buyer's regret" because something is cheaper down the road, it's actually irrational. Either it was a good price at the time when you bought it, or it wasn't. Either you were happy at the time of the original purchase, or you weren't (in which case you can return it).

That's why I associate it with the 30-day policy, because I think the issue really is about whether or not it was a good price at the time, not whether or not the publisher will ever sell it for less down the road.

I don't think people will stop committing to pre-pub. People will buy what they want or need, as long as the price is right for them. It's as simple as that. Either you want it or you don't.

As a relatively new Logos customer, I have some experience with this. I think my sales rep mentioned that particular commentary volumes were initially offered at $1.99, and later on sale for $9.99. Their regular price per volume is about $50. I wasn't a Logos customer back then. I missed out on two spectacular deals. Since I don't want to hold up my studies, I'm willing to pay $50 at present for a volume I need. I'm not unhappy that others got the same volume for $1.99 or $9.99.

Everyone likes bargains. But no one should think, "Wow, I got it for $1.99 when it came out so long ago, and someone else just got it for $1.99 now" and suddenly feel like FL or the publisher "cheated" you months/years down the road. Can't we just be thankful for the price we paid, and also be thankful that others can save money too, even if they save as much (or more than) we did?

If you want 90 days, 180 days, or 360 days, please keep in mind that this only hurts others who missed out on an offer you didn't. Let's please be charitable and let others also benefit from good deals, instead of trying to bolster some "reward" at being one of many having committed initially to make an item available to everyone.

Posts 356
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2016 2:41 PM

I can understand because logos said it would never be cheaper, but does anyone complain about the base packages. (which for the most part the books are $2.00-$3.00 apiece)  And also at least in 2015 & 2014 logos has offered a deal at the end of the year on all community price books for a $1.00 a piece.  Just food for thought, thanks for all the responses!! 

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS