Mind Map Users?..

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1159
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 12 2016 6:17 AM

Hey Logos users, I'm trying to find an ideal software for diagramming entire books (mostly books of the Bible but also really heady books). I will be using a method of diagramming called arcing, and I want to include the entire text of a book within a mind map to diagram the flow of thought. I'm also hoping to find one that is more visually appealing rather than less (beggars can't be choosers though). 

There are several problems I have in finding a good software for this. 

#1. Most mind mapping software is not built to hold an entire book worth of data, so the design is somewhat simple and round and flowing. I'm looking for a program that will start diagramming from the top left of the page and will stagger sub-categories below each preceding idea in a clear cut square angular way (somewhat similar to the Logos propositional outline tool, but with each proposition staggered (tabbed) from it's preceding idea.) See the image below.

#2. What I find is that most mind mapping software is not built to hold entire paragraphs (and pages), but only small one line headings. I'm trying to find a software that would be able to handle a lot more. I don't want a 30 page document to take ages to load or to crash frequently from overload, and I don't want software that won't allow me to put in that much text.

#3. I have found one program that fits my needs (Docear), but it's not very user friendly, and I can't export anything from it to pdf. It is saved in a strange form of document called .mm. I would like to export the results of my study so I can view it in other ways, so I would need a program that would allow me to export to pdf.

Having said all this, I am open to all recommendations. If you have a program you use and like, I want to hear about it! Thanks to anyone who is willing to give any suggestions!

(As a side note I have seen the Bible Arc software, and it looks great, but it wouldn't allow me to input text from books, only Bible text, so it doesn't fit my needs exactly.)

Existing software pic that is almost what I want:

Posts 150
Ryan Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 7:42 AM

Can you confirm that you want to use this for reading a book? Not just scripture? 

Just wanted to clarify.

Posts 1159
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 8:12 AM

Hey Ryan, yes. I also would like to utilize something like this for some very old theology books. 

Posts 150
Ryan Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 9:24 AM

hmmm. I got nothing to that end. I think almost anything is going to be clunky for this. BibleArc's phrasing module is created for that specifically. I don't know if anything that comes close to that. 

I've used excel for different ways of charting a discourse. But, it's not like the phrasing you're doing in your picture. I hope you can find something! 

Posts 6570
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 10:50 AM

Mind maps are for basic outlining and list of things.  I have used Tony Buzan in the past because his mind map  exports to PowerPoint and you can make that a presentation with main points, subpoints and scripture references.  It was kind of neat to see the branches for each main point and the sub branches for the sub points and leaves for scripture references come out.  Right at the center, where the branches came out like tentacles, the title for the sermon was there, all in one nice colorful presentation.  I got tired of it and the software started acting up so I quit using it.   Unfortunately, when I tried to upgrade the price was way too high, so I gave up on any mind maps. Outlining, to me, is still very powerful for manuscripts and basic sermon outlines for PowerPoint presentations. Plus, there's more flexibility for what you want to do.

DAL

Posts 906
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 11:15 AM

To your number 3, can you use a PDF printer? A quick Google search shows me that your software allows printing, so you should be able to install a simple "print to PDF" driver and use that.

Posts 6570
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 1:27 PM

iMindmap -- version 10 coming soon.

Posts 27006
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 1:42 PM

The Brain does the best at large quantities of data in my experience. However, I believe that a layered approach with pages that can be comprehended at a glance is more effective than a wall-sized single chart.

Liam:
strange form of document called .mm.

Isn't that  NotePad/WordPad format?

Exporting to PDF is often not given as a form because one can print to PDF without adding the code to the application program ... cleaner and more reliable.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10311
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 6:25 AM

Liam, your search is probably not unusual.

I wanted multi-directional (essentially free-form), pastable large text blocks, and multi-layer (similar to art apps). I was mapping the Church of Christ against Paul, Jesus, and 7th century Judah. And no-can-do. I even tried 3D software ... each has a clunker somewhere. So, I rolled my own. 

I really wish Logos extended their highlighting concept into some type of user-selected structure ... outline, mindmap, etc. A lot of people would like it, and easy to code. It's the easiest way to do what you want, and what I ended up with.  The layering, I never solved.

An idea I would point out ... is outlining/mindmapping strictly a greek/roman/western concept ... not really appropriate to 'the east' and earlier? That's how I ended up with multi-directional.

Posts 3666
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 10:27 AM

Check out this thread for lots of suggestions: 

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/38311/287151.aspx 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 27006
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 10:35 AM

Denise:
An idea I would point out ... is outlining/mindmapping strictly a greek/roman/western concept ... not really appropriate to 'the east' and earlier? That's how I ended up with multi-directional.

http://takingnotenow.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-history-of-outlining.html

http://www.webwritingthatworks.com/AHistoryofOutlining01.pdf

I've been amused watching the concept of mind mapping moving from web to hierarchical ... not to its advantage in my mind.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1159
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 8:18 PM
Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the suggestions! Keep em coming! I plan to look into each of these! Justin, thanks! I haven't heard of this. I'm not sure how to do this, but I'll play around with it and see what I can do. MJ, I didn't know that either. Thank you! Lots of good stuff here!
Posts 758
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 10:44 AM

Liam,

Like Graham, I also use FreeMind.  It uses a ".mm" format file.  If you could upload one of your maps, I could verify that the format is the same.  FreeMind will export to pdf, html, and other formats.  Perhaps it would at least be a tool for exporting your maps.

I started using mindmaps to organize class sessions while I was teaching Church history for Sunday school.  When I covered the period of the Puritans, I learned that the sermons given were quite long and quite complex.  The academics asserted that modern audiences would not be able to follow the general flow of such complex sermons. 

Based on that observation, I abandoned PowerPoint, which is a "flat" method of presentation, and made readable outlines in FreeMind maps.  As I delved into sub-points, I would drill down into the mindmap.  The audience could follow my train of reasoning as I popped part way up and then hit the next sub-point.  The class could see where I had been and where I was going.

Posts 6570
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 5:39 PM

http://www.xmind.net/

Xmind looks good too and cheaper than iMindmap. They have a FREE version too.

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 6:09 PM

Tree might be worth a look.

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 1159
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 6:38 AM

Thanks for the additional suggestions guys! Keep em coming everyone! 

Abram, thank you for pointing out Tree! It may be just what I was looking for! I'm testing out and enjoying the trial version now! I also really like the ability to explode or tighten the arms of the tree with the drop down arrows! It's funny, that's a feature that I also wanted, but didn't know how to really communicate it and didn't post anything about above! Thank you!

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 6:44 AM

MJ. Smith:

Denise:

http://takingnotenow.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-history-of-outlining.html

http://www.webwritingthatworks.com/AHistoryofOutlining01.pdf

I've been amused watching the concept of mind mapping moving from web to hierarchical ... not to its advantage in my mind.

YesYes

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3666
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 1:11 PM

M J Smith:

Yes

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 6570
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 3:10 PM

Mind mapping picked my interest again. I  looked at iMindMap again and saw that they have done many improvements including 3-D presentation mode so as a returning customer I got a good deal on version 9 with a free upgrade to the upcoming version 10, Plus an additional 10% discount from the already great offer.  I used the 3-D presentation mode this past Wednesday and it's awesome!  I may be putting my sermon outlines on mind maps to present,  but still keep my conventional outline on a Microsoft word document  for backup purposes. 

DAL

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS