Logos for Self Study Seminary

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 142
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 12 2016 9:09 PM

Today the question was posed to me that if someone wanted a fairly equivalent curriculum to studying at a seminary what books would I suggest in Logos?  So, of course, I'm putting the question out to those of you who can answer it far better than myself.  So, here are the parameters: 

1. assume Logos 7 and at least Gold (to give some context on the number and types of volumes)

2. assume the individual is attempting to self-study for an M.Div equivalent (to give context to the types of courses that would be recommended)

3. oh and this one is from myself since I am not yet sold on the MobileEd courses so the final assumption is the Gold level library sans any MobileEd.

Thoughts?  

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 10:39 PM

I have Gold, but for a M.Div I would supplement with several volumes

Languages BDAG/HALOT for Greek and Hebrew

New Testament, it depends on where you study and what you use.  Gold has The Pillar series, which forms a good basis for further study although it is not a complete series yet.  The Pillar series is conservative, and at some point, a student has to look into critical commentaries.  So something like Word, Anchor or Herm may be needed.  See Best commentaries.com

Old Testament, a good set of Old Testament commentaries.  Basic is Tyndale which are included in Gold.  One will have to add critical commentaries on the books covered in class.

Bible speaks today is great for preaching.

Church History/Theology/ Ethics

Theology add whatever modern text is used by your seminary.  I used Erickson 20 year ago when I did my degree.  What you use will depend upon your theological position, reformed, unreformed etc.

Ethics add ethics texts

Church history add church history texts. 

Aside, reformed seminary has put some of their lectures on I tunes university, I have used church history 1 & 2 to supplement my own class notes.  They are good and free

I trained @ Moore College Sydney,a conservative reformed college

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 1:43 AM

Dennis Davis:
if someone wanted a fairly equivalent curriculum to studying at a seminary

Given that seminary should include discussions arguing alternative points of view and that seminary should have a significant spiritual formation component, my initial reaction is that the question is ill-formed. However, if what you mean are resources available to provide reading equivalent to a seminary reading requirements, the answer is yes. What I would do is pick an appropriate seminary, determine what classes one would have to take including choosing electives, then do Google searches for class syllabuses and pick appropriate Logos resources for each class. Don't forget to factor in reading required to do homework and required papers ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1930
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 9:40 AM

This!

MJ. Smith:

Dennis Davis:
if someone wanted a fairly equivalent curriculum to studying at a seminary

Given that seminary should include discussions arguing alternative points of view and that seminary should have a significant spiritual formation component, my initial reaction is that the question is ill-formed. However, if what you mean are resources available to provide reading equivalent to a seminary reading requirements, the answer is yes. What I would do is pick an appropriate seminary, determine what classes one would have to take including choosing electives, then do Google searches for class syllabuses and pick appropriate Logos resources for each class. Don't forget to factor in reading required to do homework and required papers ...

Here you can find the requirements for whichever MDIV you would want at Liberty University.

Once you download the appropriate Degree Completion Plan, then you can find the course guides for each course here, or in a Google search for the course number, which will tell you what texts you need and the pace at which the course runs.

If you prefer Yale you could start here, or Harvard here.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1930
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 9:43 AM

You can also find many courses available free through places like iTunes U or Open Yale Courses.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1593
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 2:26 PM

MJ. Smith:

YesYes

A Seminary experience does include head knowledge. Some of that can come from reading books. More of it comes with critically engaging books and your classmates. The traditional academic way of doing this is tests, papers, and group discussions. It is way to easy to just sort of skim using Logos alone. Of course, Logos can be a quite useful tool for this as well.

But a large part - and quite possibly the largest part - of Seminary is spiritual formation. I know of no ways to do this without group interaction - and actually can't even imagine it.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 2:49 PM

Thanks, Joseph.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 245
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 6:12 PM

Joseph, thank you very much. I'm going to look into all of this as well and maybe follow along the same lines as a self-study. 

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 7:42 PM

My biggest add to this conversation is that most teachers have free video classes available  online elsewhere.  I would not buy any MobileEd classes.  I would buy accredited classes for very similar pricing first.  

Posts 6122
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 8:27 PM

Everett Headley:

My biggest add to this conversation is that most teachers have free video classes available  online elsewhere.  I would not buy any MobileEd classes.  I would buy accredited classes for very similar pricing first.  

Ditto 👍👌🤘✌️️

Posts 142
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 9:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the great responses.  I had initially recommended a set of resources but to go the extra mile and google a few of the syllabuses from various schools and then give that out along with the resources is a great idea.  As always, much appreciated. 

Posts 1930
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 9:24 AM

I would just chime in again to say that I am not recommending against purchasing Mobile Ed courses, because I have several and find them useful.  I was just trying to give a broader example of how one might proceed in the context provided.

Posts 471
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2016 12:03 PM

Everett Headley:

I do have some Mobile Ed courses but I do agree with you.  There are many courses available, a good number of them are free.  I am currently working through a free course through a seminary. Mobile Ed courses will help you to use your Logos Library in the process though. We have invested a lot in our libraries so it makes sense to get the most out of them.  I think you need to look at what you expect to get out of a course and if there is a more effective method of achieving that.  For me sometimes that is taking a course online or in Mobile Ed.  If you can find someone in your church or elsewhere who will work through a course with you, it will be beneficial to both of you.

Posts 2180
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2016 6:53 PM

I bought into Logos because I could not physically and financially afford to pursue seminary training. In essence you will be spending a lot of time studying in Logos regardless!

You have to be very self-disciplined to study on your own with or without course materials. Mention here about spiritual formation is mostly about being connected with people who will keep you on the road. I recommend a pastor who will keep you accountable. Maybe more than one might help you as you grow.

God bless you as you study to serve him. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS