Help with Maps

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 14 2016 5:42 AM

I may just be missing something, but I am having great difficulty with maps/atlas in Logos 7. I was trying to do something very simple (or so I thought): pull up a map of Joshua's campaign as I was preparing a sermon. So I open up the atlas (from Tools menu) and put "Joshua" into the search. The only item that comes up is "Jacob returns to Canaan." It can't be that with Reformed Portfolio and Logos Now I don't have ONE map of Joshua's campaign! But for the life of me, I can't seem to find any real maps, like in the old days when there were several atlases to search.

And with a program like Logos, I should not have to leave in frustration and find what I want in Google like 100 times faster. Any help?

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 22363
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 7:40 AM

Fred Greco:
So I open up the atlas (from Tools menu) and put "Joshua" into the search. The only item that comes up is "Jacob returns to Canaan." It can't be that with Reformed Portfolio and Logos Now I don't have ONE map of Joshua's campaign!

The Atlas is not yet complete and so doesn't have maps of all the events we would like.

I would go for a media search

Posts 1650
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 4:24 PM

Fred Greco:
I may just be missing something, but I am having great difficulty with maps/atlas in Logos 7. I was trying to do something very simple (or so I thought): pull up a map of Joshua's campaign as I was preparing a sermon. So I open up the atlas (from Tools menu) and put "Joshua" into the search. The only item that comes up is "Jacob returns to Canaan." It can't be that with Reformed Portfolio and Logos Now I don't have ONE map of Joshua's campaign! But for the life of me, I can't seem to find any real maps, like in the old days when there were several atlases to search.

And with a program like Logos, I should not have to leave in frustration and find what I want in Google like 100 times faster. Any help?

The way the context-sensitive maps don't work in Logos is my biggest disappointment with the product.

I've used Logos through several versions now. They've added different map resources which are okay in themselves, but the tagging to fire up the appropriate map for a context has never worked properly and still doesn't.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 5:15 PM

Logos maps are frustrating.  It's been discussed before.  I would suggest using atlas resources instead, like the ones from Holman and Zondervan.

Graham Criddle:

I agree, but I wouldn't necessarily use a <Person> search since not many resources are tagged that way.

I also suggest creating a collection of favorite atlases to help filter out the non-map media (like family trees) that clog up the results.

Then you can get results like this:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 22363
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 11:12 PM

Todd Phillips:
I agree, but I wouldn't necessarily use a <Person> search since not many resources are tagged that way.

Good point Todd

Posts 782
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 11:30 PM

I'm sorry our progress has been so slow in getting more maps released. We're currently retooling around a new approach that will perform better and should allow us to make faster progress. But for now, with the Logos 6 style maps in Atlas, we've completed many or most of the maps from

• the life of Jesus
  • the early church
  • the United Kingdom

Other eras of biblical history are still under development. However, for the maps that we've released, you can search by person, place, thing, event, or passage. For example, here are the Atlas maps that describe events including Silas. (However, third party maps don't have the same level of tagging.)

As Graham points out, the earlier Biblical Places Maps can be found through Media Search, and those include a map of Joshua's Northern Campaign, if that's helpful.

Posts 4711
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 1:35 AM

Sean Boisen:

• the life of Jesus
  • the early church
  • the United Kingdom

Glad to see the last entry - I hope this will, at last, allow us to pin-point Jerusalem's 'dark satanic mills'.

(or were the capitals a slip of the finger?)

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 7:19 AM

Todd Phillips:

Logos maps are frustrating.  It's been discussed before.  I would suggest using atlas resources instead, like the ones from Holman and Zondervan.

Graham Criddle:

I also suggest creating a collection of favorite atlases to help filter out the non-map media (like family trees) that clog up the results.

Is there a dynamic collection that has been created (like for the canonical books) that I can use? Or do I simply have to search for "atlas" in my library and add those titles? I would like to make sure I capture as many map resources as possible.

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 7:43 AM

Fred Greco:
Is there a dynamic collection that has been created (like for the canonical books) that I can use? Or do I simply have to search for "atlas" in my library and add those titles? I would like to make sure I capture as many map resources as possible.

Try this for a collection rule:

title:(atlas,map)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 28242
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 1:37 PM

Todd Phillips:

For my library Jacob in the collection identifies 18 resources - some not relevant; using a Media search on maps identifies 37 resources

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 11:37 AM

Todd Phillips:

Another collection rule is:

Subject:Bible Subject:(Geograph,Map)

Searching Description and Title in collection includes many maps.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS