How do you use "Set Series?"

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1162
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 14 2016 10:48 AM

I have never played with the feature that allows you to create your own series. How do you use this feature? I understand you can use it to fill in gaps in series you have but are missing a volume (i.e. Add from another series to that series)

Does anyone create whole new series and prioritize those series? Would this be advisable? How do people use this feature?

Posts 241
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 11:04 AM

Basically, with Set Series, you can add a "Tag" like value to it, and to other resources, and it makes your own series. So, if you found your favorite go-to commentary for each book of the Bible, and added the tag "Fav66" to it in "Set Series", it would allow you to search those commentaries as if it were a series, or one book, seamlessly, even if they are from multiple different commentary sets. 

Posts 24338
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 11:22 AM

Besides adding a missing book (e.g. 1 Cor) to an existing Commentary series you can create an OT - NT series for bibles and lexicons

You can use the series name to prioritize the pair, or use the text box to enter a Hebrew word/book and bring up the Hebrew/OT volume when the Greek/NT volume is showing.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1162
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 1:22 PM

Ok.....so would it be correct to say one could make new series such as "Tier 1 Commentary" "Tier 2 etc" and prioritize this way with any type of resource? 

This would remove the clutter in prioritization......not sure if it's worth revamping my present system though...........

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 1:25 PM

One could ... but I would discourage it as there is only one series per book.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 1:51 PM

One of my most favorite things about setting the series is putting a Hebrew text with a Greek text in the same series then I have an original language Bible.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 12:15 PM

Matt Hamrick:

One of my most favorite things about setting the series is putting a Hebrew text with a Greek text in the same series then I have an original language Bible.

Personally use abbreviated titles for custom Bible series

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 2:05 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

This method does not enable the automatic switching of versions that occurs when the series field is used.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 2:18 PM

MJ. Smith:

This method does not enable the automatic switching of versions that occurs when the series field is used.

Yes and No. Typing Bible reference does change resource appropriately, but clicking history arrows does not switch resources:

Started with two tabs open for Lexham Hebrew Bible (LHB) followed by typing reference mt22.33

Custom series was used to switch resource since LHB does not have Matthew 22:33

Clicking on history arrow in The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition goes back to previous location in that resource.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 924
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 2:33 PM

Keep Smiling, I am curious about your naming schemes. I have seen before where you have added a publication year to the title of your Bibles, but I don't remember seeing the "g" or "h" added. Is that merely a way to see what language a resource is in at a glance or is there something else you do within the software after adding that designation? Sorry for the hijack, but if I was wondering when I saw your screenshot, I thought others might as well. Thanks!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 5:27 PM

Matthew:
Keep Smiling, I am curious about your naming schemes. I have seen before where you have added a publication year to the title of your Bibles, but I don't remember seeing the "g" or "h" added. Is that merely a way to see what language a resource is in at a glance ...

Yes, language letter suffix after publication year helps when choosing Bible using + (New Tab):

• d = Deutsch (German)
  • g = Greek
  • h = Hebrew
  • L = Latin
  • s = Spanish

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 7:01 AM

Sorry but I am confusedConfused, how do you set a series? I can't see where you do it.

Thanks

P A

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 7:21 AM

I have managed to find it, it is in the resource information panel. Click on the ( i ) in the top right hand corner and you will see it listed.

P A

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 9:11 AM

P A:

I have managed to find it, it is in the resource information panel. Click on the ( i ) in the top right hand corner and you will see it listed.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24338
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2016 11:00 PM

MJ. Smith:

Yes and No. Typing Bible reference does change resource appropriately, but clicking history arrows does not switch resources:

Yes - it doesn't depend on the naming method used for the series name.

Yes - clicking history arrow will eventually switch resources (third click in my case), and that is reversible!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 2:03 AM

Dave Hooton:
Yes - it doesn't depend on the naming method used for the series name.

Er .. ah ... you are correct that the naming method doesn't matter. However, the issue is using the abbreviated titles field instead of the series field.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 3:16 AM

MJ. Smith:
However, the issue is using the abbreviated titles field instead of the series field.

My Series naming convention includes my customized abbreviated titles with " + " between them. For example, series "2012h:LHB + 2010g:SBLGNT" is set for two resources => 2012h:LHB and 2012g:SBLGNT

MJ. Smith:

Screen shot shows Library sorted by Series. "Title" and "Abbreviated Title" fields were intentionally included to show naming convention.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 2:01 PM

got it Embarrassed

Posts 87
Rafe Andersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 10:32 PM

Other than lexicons, I have not found this feature helpful. Why would I bother with the passage guide commentary section anymore? Maybe you all know something that I do not about it. 

Posts 24338
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 17 2017 1:21 PM

Rafe Andersen:
Other than lexicons, I have not found this feature helpful.

That's OK - the Series feature doesn't have to be used.

Rafe Andersen:
Why would I bother with the passage guide commentary section anymore?

True. A one-volume commentary on Romans will be displayed if you use "All Commentaries" (depending on prioritization and/or the "Show" number).  But it will not be displayed if you use a custom collection of you favourite Series and it/they do not contain a commentary on Romans. You could remedy this by adding (+ Plus) that commentary on Romans to the collection, or by using Set Series to add it to the existing Series.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS