Specific resource(s) needed...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 88
T. L. Brown | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 16 2016 10:38 AM

Help!  I need a commentary or some other resource that will connect Luke 16:1-13 to it's larger chapter and book context.

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Posts 88
T. L. Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2016 5:12 PM

I'm just testing to see if anyone has read this post!  Can you hear me now?

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2016 5:58 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you want.  Any good academic commentary should do this.  Is there something in particular you are expecting to find about the context?  That would help me to look.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2016 6:02 PM

Here is an excerpt from the NIVAC (Obviously it goes into more detail):

THIS NEXT PART of Luke’s journey section (16:1–31) can be divided into three parts, each focusing on the need for disciples to be wise and generous with the resources God has given them. The parable of the unjust manager calls for faithfulness and wisdom in handling money, followed by a series of exhortations that develop points emerging from it (16:1–13). A shorter unit rebukes the attitude of the Pharisees and declares the arrival of a new era, which, though new, does not change the ethical standards God requires (16:14–18). Finally, the parable of the rich man and Lazarus emphasizes the ethical call God has made to be generous in meeting human needs (16:19–31). Christ’s followers, unlike the Pharisees, should not be lovers of money. Recognition of the accountability God holds his disciples to has ethical and lifestyle implications, even down to the use of resources.

Darrell L. Bock, Luke, The NIV Application Commentary (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1996), 418.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1073
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 8:37 AM

Maybe take a look at The Expositor's Bible Commentary, Abridged:New & Old testament 2 volumes.

It is a good basic one to start with.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 2:52 PM

T. L. Brown:
... some other resource that will connect Luke 16:1-13 to it's larger chapter and book context.

The Outline Bible by Harold L. Willmington is a possibility:

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS