Two interruptions to our Sunday Morning Service

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 4 2016 4:23 AM

We've upgraded to Proclaim 2.0, and got two interruptions during the service.

The first happened because Proclaim lost focus, so our wireless presenter stopped working. We fixed it by clicking back on the next slide in Preview. I think the cause of losing focus was a Proclaim message that popped up during the presentation (the one that comes in the bottom right hand corner, announcing new features or the Monday minute, etc.). Certainly a message appeared at that time that wasn't there shortly before.

The second time, Proclaim tried to install an update midway through the presentation. The UAC screen came up, and all connected screens went blank. We knew there was an update pending when we started Proclaim, and started to download it, but there wasn't time to install it before going live. We therefore cancelled the update. Then we restarted Proclaim and skipped the update. It was about an hour later (or more) that the update then tried to install itself and blanked all our screens.

Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2016 7:50 AM

Sorry for the disruption Mark. 

Mark Barnes:
The first happened because Proclaim lost focus, so our wireless presenter stopped working. We fixed it by clicking back on the next slide in Preview. I think the cause of losing focus was a Proclaim message that popped up during the presentation (the one that comes in the bottom right hand corner, announcing new features or the Monday minute, etc.). Certainly a message appeared at that time that wasn't there shortly before.

We'll take a look at this.

Mark Barnes:
The second time, Proclaim tried to install an update midway through the presentation. The UAC screen came up, and all connected screens went blank. We knew there was an update pending when we started Proclaim, and started to download it, but there wasn't time to install it before going live. We therefore cancelled the update. Then we restarted Proclaim and skipped the update. It was about an hour later (or more) that the update then tried to install itself and blanked all our screens.

We don't expect any UAC prompts during the silent background install. Once you've installed Proclaim you shouldn't see any during manual updates either. Do you see UAC prompts on this/any machine when updating Proclaim? 

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2016 1:39 PM

Scott Alexander:
We don't expect any UAC prompts during the silent background install. Once you've installed Proclaim you shouldn't see any during manual updates either. Do you see UAC prompts on this/any machine when updating Proclaim? 

I'm sorry but none of us remember if we normally get a UAC prompt when updating.

What happened this time was:

1. We were running Proclaim in a limited account.
  2. We got a UAC prompt asking for the administrative password.
  3. I pressed escape quickly, to get back to the presentation.
  4. A Proclaim dialog box appeared in the background and was flashing on the taskbar. I ignored it.
  5. At the end of the presentation I looked at the dialog box. It said something to the effect that Proclaim setup had failed.
  6. When we next ran Proclaim (for the evening service), it didn't prompt for an update.
  7. Proclaim is reporting it's on version 2.00.0.0018. So despite the UAC cancellation, the update did install.

Here's the log file, FWIW: 6175.636164698149270835_Proclaim.log

Posts 1708
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2016 4:57 PM

I am so thankful for the forums and the excellent posts.  I will NEVER purchase Proclaim or recommend it to anyone now.

Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2016 7:51 PM

Thanks for the detailed information Mark. Our expectation is that Proclaim is installed and the UAC prompt succeeds. We do not expect updates to require a UAC prompt since that work only needs to be done once. However, as you pointed out the installation of Proclaim "succeeds" even if the UAC prompt is canceled or fails. We should prevent attempting a background update if it requires a UAC prompt.

Sorry again for the disruption. 

Posts 340
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2016 9:38 PM

JoshInRI:

I am so thankful for the forums and the excellent posts.  I will NEVER purchase Proclaim or recommend it to anyone now.

Because of a couple of small problems that are being looked at right away? I am not using Proclaim myself, but just to say, if you want a solution that never has any problems, I recommend overhead transparencies. Actually, thinking about it, you better make sure that you always have spare bulbs and projectors and triple check every slide for spelling, font size, etc.

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 5 2016 5:18 AM

I agree with Bernhard. Besides, perfection can only be found in Jesus Christ. The Proclaim application will never be perfect, but offers features not yet available anywhere else. I greatly appreciate the way the developers make themselves visible and available to assist when problems do arise; you never have to wait long for a fix. Perhaps JoshinRI should stick with his Flannelgraph. Romans 8:25.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS