An Open Letter to Bob Pritchett

Page 7 of 7 (135 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
This post has 134 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2010 10:16 PM

While this thread seems to have veered off from its intended purpose,  (don't they all lol) I would still like to see Logos jump into remodeling notes with both feet.  While I don't understand all the technical issues involved, I do know that a great number of Logos customers would like to see great improvements in this area. 

--I for one would like Logos to combine notes and clippings together (code already there.?.).  This would give me most of what I am looking for.  Not to mention having them both separate, like they are currently, only makes things more difficult to organize... (would at the very least like to be able to easily and effectively hyperlink from one to the other, and also hyperlink with in the program)

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2010 11:59 PM

J. Morris:
--I for one would like Logos to combine notes and clippings together

I understand your reasoning and could make a cogent argument for your position. However, I chose to use them differently specifically because they are separate. I'd end up doing additional work if they were combined.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1535
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:51 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
But now that you know it is more of a statement about me, than you, I hope you will receive it in the fun it was intended,

As I said Kevin, I am open to correction from you if I mis-read your statement. I stand happily corrected. Big Smile

Posts 200
Dudley C. Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 5:55 AM

J. Morris:

--I for one would like Logos to combine notes and clippings together (code already there.?.).  This would give me most of what I am looking for.  Not to mention having them both separate, like they are currently, only makes things more difficult to organize... (would at the very least like to be able to easily and effectively hyperlink from one to the other, and also hyperlink with in the program)

I like this idea.  Maybe the latter idea (hyperlinking between them) would be easiest and would preserve the current implementation for those who use them separately.  If I could hyperlink between notes and clippings they would do almost everything I would like from them.

Posts 176
James Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 12:19 PM

Hi,

As the originator of this thread, I would like personally to thank Bob for taking time out of his busy schedule to reply. I've been leading a week away so have been away from my computer / email and Logos(!) for a whole week, so apologies for not conveying my thanks sooner.

When I am awake(!) and had time to consider Bob's response, and filtered out all the Mac v Windows posts in this thread, I will reply again (if needed).

Basically, I still see notes as a failing of the product, and am glad that Bob recognises that his users do too.

As I've outlined in this thread, an integrated text editor is necessary.

"Word processor" is the wrong term. If Logos implemented "Word 2010" - there would be no point. It need to be different - a Logos BibleNoteText Editor (please don't call it a word processor - tend to conjour up the wrong ideas in people's minds) (Same core features e.g. change font, highlight, tables, bulltets, pictures but have more bible study based, canonical sorting, Hebrew and Greek searching, integrated and linked to Logos - but it doesn't need Mail Merge etc!)

My initial response as to format which would answer most of the concerns of Bob is USE complete (X)HTML for as the format for notes - it's cross-format, already known and universal, easily searchable, easily extendible, small file size (text can be effiiciently compressed), and has great features. Diagrams should be in SVG format (again - cross format/ tiny file size etc).

Will post again when I give it some more thought.

James

Posts 10420
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 6:00 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Just for fun reading for all you laughing at me and my MacAversion, here is some lovely reading. If you care to click the link I believe you will find it amusing  ...

http://www.kevinpurcell.org/archives/685

We will get you yet, but I won't tell anyone Big Smile

Posts 10420
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 6:05 PM

JamesHudson:
"Word processor" is the wrong term. If Logos implemented "Word 2010" - there would be no point. It need to be different - a Logos BibleNoteText Editor (please don't call it a word processor - tend to conjour up the wrong ideas in people's minds) (Same core features e.g. change font, highlight, tables, bulltets, pictures but have more bible study based, canonical sorting, Hebrew and Greek searching, integrated and linked to Logos - but it doesn't need Mail Merge etc!)

I like that idea. I apologize for my earlier misunderstanding of your proposal.

Posts 97
Jeff Loven | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 10:54 PM

So...am I to assume that the "competing, third-party" note-taking and word-processing software being mentioned, but not named, is Microsoft's OneNote and Word? 

I've got to admit, I would love to have a full-functioning text-editor style note system in Logos. For now, however, I continue to discover and use work-arounds. This is tedious, to be sure, but at least it seems to work how I want it to.

I love Logos, especially version 4, and can't imagine my study without it. Praise the Lord for software developers using their God-given hardwiring to advance the kingdom!

Posts 3637
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 12:28 AM

Jeff Loven:
So...am I to assume that the "competing, third-party" note-taking and word-processing software being mentioned, but not named, is Microsoft's OneNote and Word? 

I have occasionally posted a list of alternate products that have been mentioned by others as replacements for Logos' own notes. Most recently I did it here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3548/35924.aspx#35924

These were originally culled from individual posts in the newsgroups and then collectively pasted into the original Logos WIKI.  More recently, I copied them to these forums.  All of these have been recommended by the LOGOS community at some point or another.  There may be other tools available as well - perhaps others would be willing to comment.  I would like to see the mind mapping tools that several users have mentioned added to this list.

I also stumbled on this list of note taking resources from a third party:

The Six Best Online Note Taking Apps You Would Love To Know

I have not used all of these resources, but the ones I do know if are well done; the others I suspect are also worth looking at.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 706
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:14 AM

Floyd Johnson:

I also stumbled on this list of note taking resources from a third party:

The Six Best Online Note Taking Apps You Would Love To Know

I have not used all of these resources, but the ones I do know if are well done; the others I suspect are also worth looking at.

Also, don't forget Evernote. I am using it more and more for personal organization. They apparently have a pretty robust API as several desktop and mobile apps have integrated it into their programs.

I think an investment in ways to integrate third party note taking solutions (online, Windows, and Mac) would bring more return in the long run.

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 5:18 AM

"I think an investment in ways to integrate third party note taking solutions (online, Windows, and Mac) would bring more return in the long run."

I would actually agree, for both clippings and notes. The problem is there probably isn't one notes program they could get away with. I use Listpro for all my organization, because they have a Windows mobile client they synch to (wouldn't it be nice to have your clippings on your phone without being forced to use an Apple iPhone, or to install Logos on the phone itself?). I don't know how you'd go about getting to an interface that any external notes program could use.

Maybe if you could URL into the program from the outside--IE, run Logos with a URL on the command line, or API into Logos with a URL on the command line, like a web browser, and that brought up the right resource in the right place, this would be possible. Is it possible to save links into Logos 4 in another program today? I've tried a couple of different times, and I didn't see any way to.

:-)

Russ

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 6:59 AM

RussWhite:

Maybe if you could URL into the program from the outside--IE, run Logos with a URL on the command line, or API into Logos with a URL on the command line, like a web browser, and that brought up the right resource in the right place, this would be possible. Is it possible to save links into Logos 4 in another program today? I've tried a couple of different times, and I didn't see any way to.

Ask DominicM how he did it in the thread titled NASB95 δοῦλος This is making my head hurt. http://community.logos.com/forums/p/13831/106462.aspx#106462 

The post originally had a link that when clicked, fired up my Logos 4  and opened Wuersts to the entry "Servant"  -- Very impressive.But that is now a Missing Link! 

You might also find this thread useful for going the other direction: Hyperlinking to Non-Logos Files in Logos Notes http://community.logos.com/forums/t/13849.aspx 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 18577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 7:04 AM

Matthew C Jones:

RussWhite:

Ask DominicM how he did it in the thread titled NASB95 δοῦλος This is making my head hurt. http://community.logos.com/forums/p/13831/106462.aspx#106462 

The post originally had a link that when clicked, fired up my Logos 4  and opened Wuersts to the entry "Servant"  -- Very impressive.But that is now a Missing Link! 

If you create a URL from within Logos by selecting Copy Location as URL from a panel dropdown menu in any resource, then you can paste that URL into a link somewhere, or into the URL bar of your browser, it will launch Logos, open that resource, and go to that location.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 7:09 AM

Rosie Perera:

If you create a URL from within Logos by selecting Copy Location as URL from a panel dropdown menu in any resource, then you can paste that URL into a link somewhere, or into the URL bar of your browser, it will launch Logos, open that resource, and go to that location.

Thank you Rosie! 

Now OneNote can give me almost everything I want, almost.

There you go Russ! 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 11:43 AM

Bob Pritchett:
I just don't think we can afford to do this.

Bob, I am remember of something that someone once told me about not being afford something.  She told me, can you afford not to do it.  She was telling me that the cost of doing something is high - very high, and the cost of not doing it was even higher.

Between notes, clippings, Personal Book Builder, and Sermon File Add-In, we have several ways to input data.  Question, why do we now need a sermon file add-in when our notes are now included in our searches?  I would recommend to simplify the way we input our information by bring this list down to just one or two ways.

Another recommendation is: you are too concerned for cross platform support.  The exact same file will look differently when it is opened by using different programs (even on the same computer).  I would keep the file very simple (HTML), and let program display whatever it displays.  It is completely out of your hands.

I do like the "off the shelf RTF component" solution.

Page 7 of 7 (135 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS