2.0 still have to disable hardware acceleration?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5
Mark | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 10 2016 7:30 AM

I was originally excited to hear about the new release, because I was SURE the video playback problem so many users have suffered with would have been a top priority. Particularly since I didn't see the "disable hardware acceleration" box on the splash screen. I guess not.

Here's my saga:

We switched to Proclaim about a year ago when our new lead pastor, who had using Proclaim successfully on his laptop for youth presentations, informed us he was going to be using it for the worship service. Being old curmudgeons, us video guys kind of resisted, because of course there was nothing wrong with Powerpoint. But we decided to go along and had problems right out of the box related to video crashing the program. So ultimately we stayed with PP, until we figured out there was a workaround (that really isn't a workaround if you want quality video) by disabling hardware acceleration. So it kind of works.

I have gotten used to using the program and actually have grown to love the features and would never want to return to Powerpoint or anything else I've tried.

Fast forward now. We have been using a Dell Optiplex 3020 with the standard onboard graphics and audio, and have had tons of problems with it, particularly with the audio failing for no apparent reason, and no matter what we do with DI boxes and ground lifts, we can't get rid of the hum. It seems to be hardware related so we reinstalled Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and updated all the drivers and still have problems. And of course the video playback problem, that I assumed was at least partially related to the fact that we had a weak video interface.

So I decided we should replace the box with one I had but make some nice upgrades first.

Dell Optiplex 780 with a Core2Duo 3.33 ghz processer, 8 gb memory, Win 7 Pro 64bit, upgraded from the stock 255 watt PSU a 430 watt PSU, added a GEForce 730 graphics card with 2GB memory, Intel 160gb SSD, and a Steinberg UR22mkII usb audio interface hoping to have a machine that would do what we need.

Fired that bad boy up, turned on Proclaim and the graphics run beautifully. No stutter, fade between slides is butter smooth. For about 5 minutes. Then the video freezes, the CPU goes to 50% and stays about there, and when I exit the program I have to go into task manager and kill Proclaim. The difference is that before the program became unstable and crashed, but now I can still use the slides, including the Bible slides, but the video backgrounds are simply frozen.

If I disable hardware acceleration, I'm back to where I was before, but a little worse, because the Core2Duo can't render the graphics quite as well as the i5 in the "old" computer. So the video plays, but is pretty choppy and very non-pro in my opinion. So did I just waste $500?

Any other video on this machine is perfect. Youtube HD is crisp and smooth. Windows Media Player 12 plays perfectly and never stutters or freezes, and supposedly that is the video player for Proclaim.

A program with all the great features of Proclaim that can't be used reliably isn't worth much in my not so humble opinion. Come on guys, can't this be a priority rather than bells and whistles?

Posts 5
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 3:04 PM

BTW, these were in the Proclaim Logs right after it crashed on me this morning. Plus I attached the dxdiag and a screenshot of the task manager after I exited the program for whatever that's worth. You can see Proclaim is still running hogging 50% cpu. 

Also, video driver is latest update and Windows is up to date as of this morning.

5824.Proclaim.log

0537.cef.log

7610.DxDiag1210160822.txt

Posts 294
LogosEmployee
Glenn Gervais (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2016 8:09 AM

Thanks for the detailed report and log files Mark. This is a little out of my knowledge area, but am only seeing one log file. Can you use the Help menu to grab all your log files (we save 10) and post back here. I will bring this up on Monday with the other developers to diver further into the logs and DxDiag.

Glenn

http://support.proclaimonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/203763785-How-do-I-submit-log-files-

Posts 5
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 6:43 AM

Glenn,

The computer is at church now, so I'll have to go there to get the logs. Might be a few days now.

Mark

Posts 5
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2016 6:07 AM

Logs as as requested

0246.Proclaim Logs 121816.zip

Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2016 7:09 AM

Mark, thanks for your logs. I'm not seeing anything obvious and you video specs seem more than adequate. We haven't changed anything regarding video playback in 2.0. We use an embedded version of Windows Media Player which may have different behavior than the standalone player, as you have observed. I did notice you are running Windows 7 which historically has had more "video freezing" reports in Proclaim. We saw a dramatic decrease in these issues when Windows 10 was released. I recommend updating to Windows 10.

Posts 5
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 10:21 AM

Scott,

That's really frustrating to hear. Clearly, this has been on ongoing problem for a couple of years now. A quick google search of your site gives me 7 pages of results, so I'm surprised that it has not been a priority to get to the root of the problem. rather than the just offering the disable hardware acceleration workaround. To me that's analogous to taking your Corvette to the dealer for a known problem, only to have them tell you to pull two spark plug wires and drive with your foot on the brake!

You mention that you saw a dramatic decrease with Windows 10. Does this mean you still have the issue even with Windows 10? My son bought a Dell Laptop with Windows 10 and it's been nothing but problems, not sure if I'm interested in "upgrading". Dell can't officially recommend 10 for the Optiplex 780 and a Google search tells me installing 10 on that machine can have nightmarish results.

I'm not a huge Microsoft fan, (I run Linux at home with the exception of one machine we need Office 365 for college paper submissions, Win 7 pro), but obviously Windows still dominates the market, and there are just certain things that can't be done with Linux. Windows 7 at least for me has been a pretty solid platform in every other regard. We run it on the computers at my business because we have to run Windows for a proprietary application. Other than what can be considered normal Windows quirks, it works really well. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of Win 7 until I absolutely was forced to.

Windows 8 clearly had issues. I had a Toshiba laptop a couple of years ago that had it and hated it. It also had hardware issues, so we trashed it. Windows 10 still has the lame interface like 8. Windows 7 users still make up almost 50 percent of the PC users out there, so I'm perplexed as to why as a software developer you would not prioritize making Proclaim work on an established, popular platform, rather than essentially suggesting we buy a new computer. Which may, or may not, produce the desired result.

Other than your suggestion, there is no compelling reason to switch to Windows 10. Many people I'm personally acquainted with would concur, plus gazillions on the internet who absolutely recommend staying with 7 if at all possible.

I cannot fault you for the design or the features. They're awesome and I really do want to continue to use it. The little bit I do know about coding and programming tells me developing a program like Proclaim is a Herculean task and you've clearly done a great job incorporating usefulness into the concept. I really want it to work well.

Obviously, this isn't an easy problem to identify or repair, or it would have happened by now. Percentage-wise, how many users have to disable hardware acceleration in order to use it? In reading some of the prior forum posts regarding this problem, you had an experimental player for a while. That doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Is embedding a different media player an option in the future? Or possibly having a choice of different ones?

Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 3:02 PM

Sorry for the frustration here Mark. The issue/bug here is with the embedded version of Windows Media Player. Windows machines are like snowflakes and the video freezing issue happens on a relatively small number of configurations. We have investigated moving to a different player but there are licensing issues with the players and codecs required. The decline in reports of this issue with Windows 10 has reduced the prioritization of finding a workaround for this issue. 

Mark:
Percentage-wise, how many users have to disable hardware acceleration in order to use it?

The setting is local so I can't give you an exact number. We do track enabling/disabling and that number is very low.

Mark:
In reading some of the prior forum posts regarding this problem, you had an experimental player for a while. That doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

The experiment was not successful so we removed the option.

Posts 10
Sophie Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 5:01 AM

Hello! this complex question. Here it is necessary to think ...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS