Converting Greek Text in personal books

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 17
Rev Mark Woodhouse | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2016 3:32 PM

Hi, I have a number of books I would like to convert to personal books, has anyone got any experience in doing this? They are currently in PDF (I can convert them to Word, however the Greek text doesn't convert properly; trying to convert them as English. 

Thanks All.

Posts 3195
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2016 5:55 PM

Mark

I experience the same issue- I have 3 sets I am converting from PDF which I scanned from the original resource- to WORD. So far I found no way to convert the Grk or Heb into the Word Doc- I always have to go back and edit the text.

I would love it if someone has a work around or resolution to this issue- it would literally save me 10-20 hrs per resource in compiling time.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2016 9:16 PM

I have a few (around 3000) Greek and Latin Word Files (converted from PDF) Left Side is Greek Language in Word and Logos right Side is Italien in Word (That's the Language after converting) and english in Logos. The only Differenz seems to me is, that right it will open to the Lexicons. But you Can't do Lemma search....just Basics.

I'm still struggle if I would convert all my Documents into Greek, or just stay with the Basic Search.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2016 9:19 PM

forget to say if you put the right Side in Greek in Logos you have the same Results as the left Side.

Posts 306
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2016 9:41 PM

Sascha, do I see it right that in the file where the language is marked wrongly, the Greek letters are actually there and correct? Couldn't you just select all the text in the file and mark the language as Greek in Word before you make the personal book? Maybe I am not understanding correctly what the issue is.

Posts 306
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2016 9:45 PM

Mark / Whyndell,

Maybe if you upload the actual files here (or at least a page, if they are copyrighted), someone might be able to help you. Scanned files are of course tricky, someone might be able to recommend a good OCR program. But if the PDF file has actual text, there might be ways using Word Search&Replace, Macros or other functions.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2016 10:10 PM

Bernhard:
Couldn't you just select all the text in the file and mark the language as Greek in Word before you make the personal book? Maybe I am not understanding correctly what the issue is.

Do Greek words have Greek letters when the font is SBLBibLit ?

https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/windows/missing-fonts includes link to Download from SBL that has SBL BibLit that includes SBL Greek and SBL Hebrew in one font.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 12:44 AM

Bernhard if the Greek Words show right in Word than they show right in Logos no matter what Language you have...it just influence the showing of Lexicons or not.

In Word just select all and change the Language to greek, no need to change Font...mine is Times New Roman

Posts 27047
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 1:18 AM

I've had language conversion problems only when the foreign language was a graphic rather than text in the PDF. And Sascha, the foreign language will only be in manuscript form unless the text is tagged with lemmas - something I don't know how to do in a PB.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 2:18 AM

thanks that was what I try to say but don't know the Words Big Smile

Posts 27047
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 2:30 AM

Sascha John:

thanks that was what I try to say but don't know the Words Big Smile

While the fact that English is not your native language is clear, you almost always do a good job of getting your message across. Words ... you'll learn them through the forums.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 7:51 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Do Greek words have Greek letters when the font is SBLBibLit ?

For grins, created a Personal Book with Greek examples:

Changed Personal Book to show one column with Display footnotes on page.

Copied Philippians 4:4 from: Newberry, T., & Berry, G. R. (2004). The interlinear literal translation of the Greek New Testament. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.

Pasted into Word 2010 (into a table), which set proofing language to Greek for manuscript words.

Typed in transliteration of Philippians 4:4 in SBL BibLit font followed by copying and pasting then change font to Symbol plus changed proofing language to Greek.

Hence, Personal Book has two types of Greek words: one using newer unicode characters and one using older coding.

Perseus has 2012 article about Greek character recognition => http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/publications/dve/RobertsonGreekOCR/

Living Poets has ancient Greek OCR => https://livingpoets.dur.ac.uk/w/Optical_Character_Recognition

Sascha John:
Bernhard if the Greek Words show right in Word than they show right in Logos no matter what Language you have...it just influence the showing of Lexicons or not.

Illustrating Symbol font (older Greek character coding) lacking lookup in Logos => highlighted letters followed by right click shows rectangles for selected text:

Right click on Greek word (newer unicode) in Logos can lookup inflected manuscript form in an Analytical lexicon:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 9:32 PM

Thanks Keep Smilling dit'nt know that...since I don't use any other Font than Timens New Roman I never had this Problem

Sascha

Posts 17
Rev Mark Woodhouse | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 9:58 AM

Thanks for ]e comments (I have to say not sure I understand some of them). Thanks for the idea re uploading the files Bernhard. There are two links below,1 for the original PDF and 1 for the resulting Word doc.

http://www.westfieldurc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/New-Testeamt-Greek-Course-Session-1.pdf

http://www.westfieldurc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/New-Testeamt-Greek-Course-Session-1.docx

Blessings

Mark

Posts 3195
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 10:18 AM

Here is what happens when I scan a document- when doing this metadata and everything else I can enable is done- the result copying with formatting and pasting into Word is this:

1:25b-c instead of acknowledging what is true about God, they chose to worship false gods The Greek is Il€T~na1;av T~V CxA~8€wv lOU 8wu EV T4> 1jJEl)<'iH, literally 'exchanged the truth of God into the lie'. The verbs supplied in the display represent what is really involved in the exchange process: the exchange means that instead of doing one thing they did something else. 

I then open up Logos and replace the gobbledy gook with the proper Grk or Heb text- even sometimes resorting to typing in myself.

Posts 3195
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 10:35 AM

Here is a Word doc created from one of my scans:7242.2.3 DIVISION CONSTITUENT 1.3-12.docx

Posts 306
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 7:20 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Here is a Word doc created from one of my scans:7242.2.3 DIVISION CONSTITUENT 1.3-12.docx

The problem in your file is clearly one with OCR (text recognition) I suggest running through a different OCR engine. I haven't done that for Greek text, but the links KS4J provided above or the following thread might be of help: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/16124/603710.aspx

Posts 306
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 7:50 PM

Rev Mark Woodhouse:

Thanks for ]e comments (I have to say not sure I understand some of them). Thanks for the idea re uploading the files Bernhard. There are two links below,1 for the original PDF and 1 for the resulting Word doc.

http://www.westfieldurc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/New-Testeamt-Greek-Course-Session-1.pdf

http://www.westfieldurc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/New-Testeamt-Greek-Course-Session-1.docx

Blessings

Mark

I think your best bet would be to go back to the teacher and ask for the original Word files. But that might not be possible?

Your Word file seems like a not very good conversion of the PDF files. Some parts that are English text in the PDF have been converted to a graphic, for example. You would need to start with a better conversion. If I open your PDF file directly with Word (I think possible from Word 2013), the conversion is much better. If you don't have that, you might be able to find a better converter online.

But even when doing the conversion in Word, the Greek still doesn't come across. Looking at the details of the PDF, they are in a font just called "Greek", which, even though it is embedded in the PDF, doesn't come across to Word. If I change the font to Symbol in Word, it looks almost correct. But that would mean it is encoded the old way (as described above) and not true Unicode Greek characters, which would mean a lookup in Logos will not work.

Changing the font for those parts to "Symbol" and correcting the mistakes will at least let you read the text in Logos.

There seems to be a program that can convert Symbol font Greek to Unicode, but it costs 50 bucks and I have no idea if it would help in this situation: http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~hancock/antioch.htm

Thinking of it, your second best option might actually be to run the PDF through a good OCR program like ABBYY to recreate the text with correct encoding. Running it throught he free OCR in a program called PDF Xchange Editor was good in parts, but still had a lot of problems.

Posts 306
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 8:01 PM

This page gives some hints about how to convert Symbol font or other non-unicode Greek fonts to Unicode: http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2010/05/greek-legacy-fonts-to-unicode.html

Maybe someone with experience can give more hints.

Posts 3195
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2016 5:09 AM

Bernhard:

Whyndell Grizzard:

The problem in your file is clearly one with OCR (text recognition) I suggest running through a different OCR engine. I haven't done that for Greek text, but the links KS4J provided above or the following thread might be of help: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/16124/603710.aspx

I downloaded the program and the grctraindata file- still can't activate the Grk recognition in the OCR program. For some reason the traindata file reverts to open with Acrobat- but on the website it does not reference this being a PDF file- any suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS