Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 78
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2016 7:53 PM

After using L7 and many of its features, indeed, this software has many really good functions. With all these features, I often wonder why Logos has not yet added the 'book mark' feature. Something like the Kindle books, where with one or two clicks, you have a book mark to come back to the spot of reading.

Is there any reason why L7 does not have the book mark feature? In addition, this BM can be active by having a screen showing all the book marks and their respective book titles. Whenever I want to read my favorite book, i can just go to the book mark page and click, without having to open the book in the library, or open a layout or other steps.

Just thinking out loud. . .

Thank you.

Al Sosa

Posts 302
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2016 8:02 PM

Bookmarks do exist. See https://wiki.logos.com/Bookmarks

If 9 are not enough, use favorites https://wiki.logos.com/favorites

Posts 774
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 6:32 AM

In my opinion, Al, the real power is in Layouts. Not only do you go back to your exact spot in the resource, but you get all the other resources that were open at the time.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 7:29 AM

If you are reading through a resource just close it when you are done. When you open the resource again it will open right where you left it. Jack already covered layouts and that will also work.

Posts 78
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 11:17 AM

Thank you everyone who responded. . . I am aware of these steps. Maybe I'm being picky about my style of book marking, but I was more thinking in the notion of a right click and add book mark. That's it. One step. All these methods require several steps. Again, maybe I'm being picky. But when I read a book in another reader, all I have to do is right click: book mark. And when I open the book again, the book mark is visible exactly where I left off. I guess this is good enough. . .I do hope one day that Logos will make it more intuitive rather than have to take several steps. Sometimes I am reading several books in one layout and a one step BM comes in handy with many books opened at once.

Thank you all. . . blessings.

Posts 78
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 11:22 AM

Yes, indeed. I have a layout with over 30 books opened for my research and study. Having to do BM with several steps becomes tedious. With a one step BM it is easier, I think. Either way, I do use Layouts. And. . . talking about layouts, I wish to see one day that I can have several layouts opened at once also. Sometimes, I have to close a layout because it does not serve my study purposes. If I have a History layout, and I want to study my Prophecy layout, I have to close the History and open the Prophecy. When I'm done with Prophecy, I then have to close the other and so forth. It would be nice to open at least 4 layouts with their dedicated books and other resources. Again, thinking aloud.

Thanks much. . . Blessings.

Posts 26276
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 1:49 PM

Al Sosa:
When I'm done with Prophecy, I then have to close the other and so forth.

If your machine has the power have you considered using floating windows to create a composite layout?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4913
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 2:11 PM

For more details on what MJ is referring to take a look at the following wiki page.

https://wiki.logos.com/Floating_Tool_Windows 

It does take a couple of mouse clicks to access but actually is a useful technique for bringing in to your study a group of resources / tools / documents as required and being able to exit them all and return back to your initial study layout.

Also agree bookmarks are buried to far away in the software. There is, if my memory is correct, the option to use shortcut keys which is fine if you want set bookmarks to but not useful if you are using bookmarks in the traditional sense like you are wanting. From past discussions I believe the developers view is bookmarks have for all purposes been superseded by favorites hence why the have been buired at the end of the favourites list. I don't agree but apparently it progress.

Posts 78
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2016 5:49 AM

Thank you MJ. . .
My machine has the power, I have 32GB of RAM, and two 27 inch monitors... I have already (to test my machine), opened over 50 books in one layout (not including notes, searches and other resources like media). And yes. . .I have used floating windows. In fact, this is all I use to manage my study session. So, it may seem that it is more a way of doing things rather than have the facilities of just opening up several layouts at once. You know something like excel spreadsheets layout or AutoCAD layouts. Maybe I'm so accustomed using these other resources that I thought that the developers in Logos might consider a working session like this to be a standard feature. . . I will work with these suggestions and see if I can find a happy medium of working with many books. Maybe L8 might come with these new features, which happens to be more friendly, I think.

Dreaming: Wouldn't it be nice to have several layouts opened at once and then just select, and then to have a screen with all the layouts with their respective books and resources, and be able to transfer books from layout to another by drag and drop (like a Window explorer interface), without having to open them in the physical layout?? I expect nothing less from the Logos developers, because to me these people are geniuses!!!!

When your library becomes large, after a while, managing it becomes the more time consuming activity than the actual study itself.

Thank you...blessings.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS