Bonhoeffer Discipleship temporary free

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2290
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 16 2016 12:03 AM

I've not seen any official announcement, but I assume following the Fortress Press Faithlife Group adds it to your library.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 3:28 AM

I don't have it. Is it related to Logos Now?

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 3:54 AM

Francis:

I don't have it. Is it related to Logos Now?

Apologies if this is a daft question, but are you following Fortress Press? It's showing for me, and the Now page doesn't seem to indicate that it's related to the subscription, so I'm inclined to think that it's not going to be that.

Posts 303
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 4:12 AM

I got the book as soon as I clicked Follow in that group.

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 4:26 AM

Confirmed!

For those who are interested:

https://faithlife.com/fortresspress/activity

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 6:09 AM

Thanks for pointing this out!

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 6:38 AM

Why would I want a book if it is only temporarily free? 

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 6:44 AM

To read it over the Christmas break and/or have a really good opportunity to preview it if you don't know it so well yet. You can take notes from it and whatever annotations are attached to it will be reattached to it if you purchase the book later on. 

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 8:39 AM

Thanks Francis

But I'll pass.

Posts 917
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 9:17 AM

Kenute P. Curry:

Why would I want a book if it is only temporarily free? 

I guess you've never been a member of a public library............ Big Smile

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 9:27 AM

Kenute P. Curry:
But I'll pass

I can't believe you can pass such a "bonne offre" Stick out tongue

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2016 12:49 PM

I'm passing Francis because I know within myself that I will not be able to read it in the set time. But make no mistake, I love  Bonneoffer. Already have some of his books. Big Smile

Posts 37
Noel Bomar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 12:40 PM

Kenute P. Curry:

I'm passing Francis because I know within myself that I will not be able to read it in the set time. But make no mistake, I love  Bonneoffer. Already have some of his books. Big Smile

I find it useful to "Print/Export" a book that is "Temporary" into a Word document, even though there is no "tagging" to Logos.  I can then read it when time permits, and if it is something that I want to add to my Library, I can purchase it later. At least I get the chance to review the book without loosing out on the "Temporary" access.

Just my thoughts.

Posts 303
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 6:32 PM

Noel Bomar:

I find it useful to "Print/Export" a book that is "Temporary" into a Word document, even though there is no "tagging" to Logos.  I can then read it when time permits, and if it is something that I want to add to my Library, I can purchase it later. At least I get the chance to review the book without loosing out on the "Temporary" access.

Just my thoughts.

That is certainly possible, I have been tempted to do that. But I don't think it is the right thing to do... You are getting a free preview, it was never intended for you to keep it longer than Logos decided. You still have another week to read it...

Posts 37
Noel Bomar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 8:28 PM

Bernhard,

I don't ever keep the Word doc after I have previewed it. As I said, if I find that it's something I want to add to my Library, I purchase it. If not I delete the file. I don't need to keep something that I have no interest in. I'm a very busy person with ministry, so the time I invest in something that I may or may not want to read is something I have to prioritize around my busy schedule.

I certainly don't believe in practicing "copyright" infringement or at the least "pirating" media of any kind, which is what I would be doing if I were to keep the Word doc.

But, I can appreciate your thoughts as well.

Noel

Posts 2290
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 10:36 PM

In most countries, for each computer you purchase, for each USB pen drive, for each blank DVD, even for each smartphone, as part of the price, you pay some fees that will be distributed among authors, artists, movie studios etc. as compensation for copies that the owner of these devices has made for "personal use".

There's a difference between "personal use" and "piracy". When I make a copy of something that I legitimately have access to, then that's a personal copy - and I've already paid for making and using it as part of the payment for the device on which I'm using it.

It's the same as recording music from the radio, or a movie that runs on TV.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 303
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 11:40 PM

Jan Krohn:
When I make a copy of something that I legitimately have access to, then that's a personal copy - and I've already paid for making and using it as part of the payment for the device on which I'm using it.

What I was talking about was not making copies for personal use of books that I own (I do that). I was talking about extending the preview period by exporting the book from Logos and keeping that file after the preview period has ended (when I do not have legitimate access anymore).

(Just clarifying what I meant here, not trying to pick a fight Geeked)

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS