Cited by tool - precision

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 22 2016 6:42 PM

Hi all

using the cited by tool to find things in my library that refer to Calvin's Institutes 3.6.2

it seems to be returning things that refer to book 3 in general. 

Is there a way to make it more precise, so that it only returns results that directly mention that section?

Posts 1870
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 22 2016 9:12 PM

You can run a datatype search in Basic Search for <Calvin's Institutes 3.6.2>. I turn up only one result:

Justification means, in Calvin’s words, that we do not “contemplate [Christ] from outside ourselves from afar in order that his righteousness may be imputed to us but … we put on Christ and are engrafted into his body—in short … he deigns to make us one with him.”4 Similarly, sanctification is nothing other than union with Christ. Says Calvin, “When we hear mention of our union with God, let us remember that holiness must be its bond.… [Only if we are] infused with [Christ’s] holiness … may [we] follow whither he calls.”5 Both justification and sanctification testify to the fact that in Christ, one is no longer one’s own but rather belongs to God. (John P. Burgess, “Justification and Sanctification: Implications for Church Life Today,” in What Is Justification About?: Reformed Contributions to an Ecumenical Theme, ed. Michael Weinrich and John P. Burgess [Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2009], 58–59.)

5. Calvin, Institutes, 3.6.2, p. 686.

It's not necessary in this case, but to force an exact match as opposed to an intersection of a range you can use <=Calvin's Institutes 3.6.2>.

I'll look into why Cited By is so loose.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS