How do you use Logos? How can we improve it?

Page 5 of 5 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 98 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 10244
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 19 2017 8:47 AM

First, I'm not sure about pushing Logos on a congregation per se. I can understand Faithlife doing that. But a Cadallac product line? I'd assume if the product is amenable to group-learning and a tradition, then, most definitely. But Logos literally avoids both. The new Basic will be interesting.

Pew sitters are pew sitters in church. Outside of church, it's a different equation. I notice fellow Christians that I'd never guess, locked into their Bible software. And pastors (most I can see) that can't be bothered (in this area). Even the Bible colleges and seminaries are still locked into the 1500's approach of pouring the weekly Word, similar to a factory.

Posts 64
Eric Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2017 11:27 AM
Having the search prompt you similarly to the way the Visual Filter tool works might help a great deal on removing the search syntax memorization burden.
Posts 5114
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2017 11:56 AM

Yes I can understand FL marketing want to sign up whole churches to an a high priced subscription for videos... might be dangerous for the pastors of those said churches..those pew sitters, that at least you and I have noticed Denise, might just decide they enjoyed the mobile Ed. teaching from the comfort of the easy chair in their own home and decide not to go to church on a Sunday morning and they can do it without still needing to open their bibles.

Denise:

First, I'm not sure about pushing Logos on a congregation per se. I can understand Faithlife doing that. But a Cadallac product line? I'd assume if the product is amenable to group-learning and a tradition, then, most definitely. But Logos literally avoids both. The new Basic will be interesting.

Pew sitters are pew sitters in church. Outside of church, it's a different equation. I notice fellow Christians that I'd never guess, locked into their Bible software. And pastors (most I can see) that can't be bothered (in this area). Even the Bible colleges and seminaries are still locked into the 1500's approach of pouring the weekly Word, similar to a factory.

Posts 26857
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2017 2:14 PM

For some of us, Sunday morning is primarily about corporate worship rather than religious education.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2017 2:33 PM

MJ. Smith:

For some of us, Sunday morning is primarily about corporate worship rather than religious education.

Yes

Posts 5114
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2017 2:51 PM

And so it should be. 

MJ. Smith:

Posts 2834
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 8:35 PM

MJ. Smith:

YesYes

I think there is room for both, but certainly corporate worship takes precedence. And if there is not room, it wins.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 166
Susan W. Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 5:12 PM

Thanks so much for this tip.  I will really use this.

Susan Murphy

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 6:38 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

how you'd like to see us improve it to meet your Bible study needs better. 

By far my biggest gripe with Logos is notes. It's fine for annotations but note taking is so terrible that I generally transfer them to another app. The problem is first of all that they are clunky and just the process of scrolling through the notes distracts me from the text. I feel like I'm fighting with it. The software that I use for notes (Scrivener) on the other hand is just a joy to use.

Posts 10244
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 7:29 PM

MJ. Smith:

Didn't see your note earlier. Personally, I view 'pewsitters' as derogatory, as if there's a pecking order largely measured by dealing with some writings as if an idol (the theory of the OT creation after loss of the Temple/land).  That said, best I can see in the the NT, there's quite a bit of latitude surrounding  corporating meetings.

To avoid being sent to the ChristianDiscourse bad-girl corner, my Logos point would be a general absence in Logos of behavioral improvement (vs textual worship). I suspect something regarding behavioral improvement integrated into Logos would be VERY interesting. Sort of the next step, after litergical.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2017 11:13 AM

I'm in favour of the kind of features and books Denise is suggesting! I was just thinking today and yesterday I wanna include such things in the book I'm authoring and for which I'm searching for a co-author! :-)
But I aim for a release date far away in the future, at A-company forums You can see from my profile what Year that would be.
From my Monday Facebook post You can see how far I would maximally go in dating which is too little according to people. The post is in Swedish but I believe Facebook translates when You click. Also: Should go up North this Summer - there are relatives from the US there and I would like to go to the beach me and the girls: a new girlfriend if I have by then, and those relatives not much younger. The beaches are really nice, only time for that is when it's the warmest period of the Year:

Denise:
To avoid being sent to the ChristianDiscourse bad-girl corner, my Logos point would be a general absence in Logos of behavioral improvement (vs textual worship). I suspect something regarding behavioral improvement integrated into Logos would be VERY interesting. Sort of the next step, after litergical.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 26857
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2017 2:13 AM

Denise:
Personally, I view 'pewsitters' as derogatory

Interesting - Although I'm more apt to say "pew warmer", I consider it less denominational than "assembly" or "parishioners".  I would agree that the NT references a variety of corporate meetings as one would expect in any comprehensive view. For example, in thinking of the Anglican BCP one thinks of 3 separate services.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 31 2017 3:45 PM

Rosie Perera:
Make it faster in all sorts of ways. UI responsiveness mostly. Dropdowns, etc.

Search drop down has an annoyance when changing text fields for searching since search runs after one field is unchecked, which is before the next field is checked. Hence have a work flow disruption while waiting for a non useful search to complete.

Another drop down annoyance is automatic assistance for completing a search; dreaming of option so can choose when want assistance OR not. Annoyance is automatic delay while trying to type in desired search.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 346
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 1 2017 4:43 AM

I'll repeat 2 suggestions I have made before.

1. completely rework accuracy of lemma searches in lexicons, including noting when there is debate about lemma meaning.

2. include "FONT" subsection when right clicking ANY word on screen. Clicking on the FONT subsection shows what default font Logos recommends, and ability to choose other suitable fonts.

Stephen Miller

Australia

Posts 117
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 1 2017 6:56 AM

I would say:

1. Make the app look and feel like a native Mac app. Having native controls is what I miss most about that other Bible software. I know it would be an immense undertaking, but I'd love to see a truly native Mac app. 

2. Improve performance.

3. Improve notes. They still seem quite clunky. I would also love to be able to change the font on all my notes globally instead of one by one.

Posts 6
Yuriy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 3:34 PM

I personally think that Logos development is rooted in greed. They turned good software into a website, just to make sure it's unavailable to those who do not want to bend over for a pricey fee. I absolutely hate your software and have uninstalled it within an hour. You can't improve that, unless you scrap the whole thing and make it an application instead of a cheesy website again, otherwise bye bye. 

Posts 26857
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 5:44 PM

Yuriy:
make it an application instead of a cheesy website again,

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Logos is available as a desktop application, a mobile application, and on the web. The software itself is free as are a few resources to use with it. If you uninstalled within an hour, I can safely say you did not have enough time to explore the software and make an educated decision. That being said, I would not argue that Logos is for everyone.

Posts 507
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2019 12:17 AM

Yuriy:

I personally think that Logos development is rooted in greed. They turned good software into a website, just to make sure it's unavailable to those who do not want to bend over for a pricey fee. I absolutely hate your software and have uninstalled it within an hour. You can't improve that, unless you scrap the whole thing and make it an application instead of a cheesy website again, otherwise bye bye. 

I am mystified by your post. You also made a similar post here https://community.logos.com/forums/t/46154.aspx?PageIndex=6
What is interesting to me is the following:
1) you only made 6 forum posts. Logos do have a bit of a steep learning curve, but there are many users on the forums willing to help anyone struggling to get to grips. Uninstalling the software within 1 hour implies that you barely evaluated the software.

2) Perhaps you confuse the Home page with a webpage. It does list articles from websites, but it is not a web app (which you imply by stating that you uninstalled it within the hour. It is possible to run Logos over a webpage (https://app.logos.com), which is a brilliant addition to the current Software you can install on your desktop. The web app does give you the flexibility to also access your library when you do not have your pc with you, but you do have access to the internet and a browser.

3) Not sure how you consider it greed as the software is free and there are loads of free books available. You can build a decent and usable library without spending any money. Of course there are extremely expensive options available, but I think most Logos users will argue that they do offer value for money. Logos is a business and they need to make a profit to keep on developing and adding more resources.

4) Referring to your other post (referenced above) where  you state that you prefer another Bible Software. Lots of Logos users also use other Bible Software for various reasons. I think that we are extremely fortunate as Christians to have different software that supplement and complement each other.

I do have the feeling that perhaps you did not give Logos Software not a fair chance to prove its worth. If there is any way we as fellow users can help you on discovering more of the true power of Logos, please ask and we will try our best to help you through our experience.

Posts 2834
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2019 7:59 AM

Sarel Slabbert:
I am mystified by your post.

There is nothing mysterious about it.  He's a troll.  Don't feed the trolls.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Page 5 of 5 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS