Opinion: Cranfield on Romans

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8647
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2017 12:23 PM

I really can't remember any segments that left me baffled even though I lacked the former volume.  IOW I didn't have nor need Sanday and Headlam to benefit from Cranfield.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2496
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2017 1:00 PM

TCBlack:

I really can't remember any segments that left me baffled even though I lacked the former volume.  IOW I didn't have nor need Sanday and Headlam to benefit from Cranfield.

It's more of a scholar issue. Those who are familiar with the earlier work would give attention to their use of Gifford's work on Romans. Scholars invariably stand on the shoulders of those who precede them. It's an ivory tower understanding that most of us simply do not have.   

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2017 2:04 PM

Bobby Terhune:
The one thing about Canfield is that his commentary came out before the huge debate on Romans took place over the issue of Paul and Justification. The "New Perspective" movement has for better or worse changed how everyone interprets Romans

He managed one paragraph of interaction with NPP in the tenth edition preface (i.e. the Logos version):

"PREFACE TO THE TENTH IMPRESSION

In the last two decades a vast amount has been published on Romans or having a bearing on it. While I have welcomed the fresh light which has been shed and am grateful for having been forced to return to the text again and again, and seriously to ponder new questions, my understanding of the Epistle has not been significantly changed and my enthusiasm for it remains undiminished.

Durham, September, 2001.      C. E. B. C."

Posts 8647
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2017 5:08 PM

mab:
It's an ivory tower understanding
I call that the Ivory echo chamber.  I am familiar with it.  

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 7536
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2017 5:14 PM

I have the abridged Spanish version of it and I find it very useful.  If it had a bigger discount, I would get the full version in English.  A lot of scholars quote Cranfield as he was a great scholar himself.  Very thorough in his exegesis.

DAL

Posts 9302
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2017 6:11 PM

Everett Headley:
In what way does he reference the older works?  How much of a loss would it be if I don' t have them?

I can't recall from my experience. I do remember reading Cranfield, noting that something he didn't cover was covered well in S&H and thereby understanding what was meant by needing both.

How much are you left out by not owning both? Probably not much. If you consult a second or third commentary you might probably will be out even less.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2850
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2017 9:03 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

I see that the https://www.logos.com/product/42968/a-critical-and-exegetical-commentary-on-the-epistle-to-the-romans is on sale this month ($49.99). I know it is highly regarded and often cited.

My question is "If I have Moo, Schreiner, Murray, Dunn, Bruce and Stott as my "go to" commentaries on Romans would Cranfield add anything?

I love Romans and have thought about this set for a bit but now that it's on sale I am wondering if it can offer anything the others do not....

What do you think? 

Well, no doubt you have some great commentaries on Romans.  Who can tell you how many commentaries you need?  It is a personal thing.

But I will say this.  I have all those (and more) also.  I love Moo's commentary.  However, I will say that Cranfield is one of the few Romans commentaries that does add to the others.  To me it is the very best on Romans, but that is always a matter of opinion. 

Do you have to have any one of the many commentaries on Romans to understand the book?  No, not even Cranfield.  Is Cranfield worth adding to your library?  Yes, to me he definitely was worth adding, and I paid more than the on sale price now.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2017 5:00 PM

Does anyone know when the sale ends for this item?  Thank you in advance!

Posts 9357
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2017 5:05 PM

Is Mebin:

Does anyone know when the sale ends for this item?  Thank you in advance!

It is featured in the January sale - https://www.logos.com/products/search?Product+Type=Monthly+Product+Sale&view=grid&start=&sort=savings&pageSize=60&unlocked=no so it should be available for the rest of the month. So there is still more time...

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2017 6:39 PM

Thank you Bruce...I will buy it next week in that case

Posts 1311
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 10:56 AM

Just following up on my own question. I purchased this while on sale and I have been working my way through it. I have not been disappointed. Excellent!

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS