Do we now have to provide reasons for refunds?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 659
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 11 2017 3:40 PM

I've asked for refunds plenty of times in Logos and never had to supply a reason, but now apparently I do?

Having to email to get a refund is already a hoop to jump through. Is this a policy decision or just an over-enthusiastic rep?

The return policy doesn't say anything about providing reasons: https://www.logos.com/support/return

Posts 30150
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 3:44 PM

I thought it was standard practice to give a reason - they never have to ask because I've already given it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 3:54 PM

Another way to look at this would be to see it as good customer service. "If you are dissatisfied with a product is there a reason that could be corrected?" It could provide insight to them - poor quality markup / incorrect marketing / pricing that doesn't match the quality / etc.

I don't see a problem unless they would not give a refund unless you had a 'good' reason or if they got 'pushy' about it.

I have asked for refunds through the years and honestly don't recall whether I gave reasons. I probably did out of courtesy, but never gave it a whole lot of thought.

Danny

Posts 659
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 4:04 PM

It should be an automated process like returning a kindle book. 

Fair enough maybe get people to email if they bought a base package and can't work out how to use it, but asking if there is some functionality I'm having difficulty with is a bit unnecessary - it's a book! - and I've already bought 1000s in Logos!

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 4:10 PM

I am asked the reason on the phone.  They use the phrase, ''For our records...''

I would prefer not to have to supply a reason; I figure the 30-day money-back guarantee precludes its necessity.

Posts 30150
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 4:29 PM

scooter:
I figure the 30-day money-back guarantee precludes its necessity.

Whereas, I would assume the guarantee makes it more important to know why they are incurring the cost of the return ... a cost we all wish to minimize as it increases everyones' cost.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 4:58 PM

My experience is that it doesn't matter what Reason you give. Its not something FL have ever pulled me up on - my reasons have been varied from not liking something to realizing I've overspent that month and FL never question it. 

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 5:09 PM

MJ. Smith:

scooter:
I figure the 30-day money-back guarantee precludes its necessity.

Whereas, I would assume the guarantee makes it more important to know why they are incurring the cost of the return ... a cost we all wish to minimize as it increases everyones' cost.

I'm one of those people who do not like human sales interactions when expectations re my money are involved.  Thus, I dislike a why upon returns; I also would rather not be asked if I want to hear about today's specials when I contact cust. service.

I was not approached the last 2 times re the specials by the cust. service rep + I was happy.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 6:22 PM

People crack me up!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 2:53 PM

Well i should have told the full truth then...  most times I have returned items it has been because a sales person had convinced me to try it... I always simple said it was not something I would use often enough to justify the expense. Although these days I find MJ more helpful in advice than staff I have talked to at FL.

-Dan

Posts 2305
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 3:19 PM

I don't think I have ever returned anything.  Maybe I should jump on the bandwagon. 

A very minor issue, a distant second cousin once removed from the one above, is this however, and I am not sure if it was a sort of return and re-buy or some another anomaly, but would ya just look at that (see image below).  Looks like I bought the same thing twice (Logos upgrade and Bronze) both Aug 31 and Sep 2 (with variant, James EEC).  Anyway it shows up on my order page as purchased twice, and I presume fouls up my total at the bottom--which is not a good marketing strategy when wives are involved. Thankfully, my credit card was only charged once.  

[Note: I suspect the first order reflects a credit card that timed out and I had to enter a fresh one for the purchase to go through---but that is a wild guess ]

Posts 3919
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 4:01 PM

How'd you get free access to Mobile Ed subscription? I don't remember any trials.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 482
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 4:37 PM

I faced the same issue; actually FL cancelled the first order, and reissued the second order + the free book (EEC on James) that I had requested days after my original order.

No double charge.Cool

Posts 7628
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 4:57 PM

The return policy at Walmart doesn't say you have to provide a reason for returning a product, but most of the time they ask too. It hurts nothing to ask and you can always say, "is not really what I wanted or expected."

Let me ask you, without starting an argument: How many times have you gone to any store's website and posted a complain because they asked you "why are you returning the product?" when it didn't say you had to give a reason in their return policy statement?

You see (everybody in the forums) this is the problem in the forums, too many people complaining about petty things. This is exactly what I told a Faithlife staff member that "someone" sent my way a few days ago and after a good coversation he even acknowledged my heart was in the right place. The only problem is people always read too much into a post or, plain and simple, they don't like someone being straight forward and point out where they're out of hand.

If we just keep the forum complaint free and just talk software and resources we will save ourselves a lot of unnecessary posts like the OP's and other posts. Refrain from posting complaints. If you didn't like being questioned about why you were returning a product why not talk to the rep right when it happened or email customer service and voice your complaint there?

#keepforumscomplaintfree

DAL

Posts 7628
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 5:12 PM

Dan Francis:

Although these days I find MJ more helpful in advice than staff I have talked to at FL.

-Dan

This is one thing I brought up in the conversation with the gentleman I talked to from FL.  Why should MJ or Denise, who are customers, know more than the actual staff at Faithlife? And he promised he would address that, since a customer went on a rampage after a Faithlife's staff was not able to help him. Is not a blunt response that necessary drives people away when they get out of control due to their frustration, but the fact that customer service has a hard time providing the answers people need or service in general.

But anyway, good thing MJ knows her stuff. Maybe she should be the one training FL's staff 😁

DAL

Posts 11312
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 6:05 PM

I'm like Scooter regarding calling up. I avoid if possible. And refunds are like an admission of guilt ... 'Can't seem to purchase books correctly, eh?'

The net result is I avoid purchase unless the odds are really good. I've stared at the jewish law resource and the jewish encyclopedia now, for maybe 4 years. It's such a risk.

But being DALian-positive, it's best not to let Logos in on customer secrets.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2305
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 6:40 PM

Leo Wee Fah:

I faced the same issue; actually FL cancelled the first order, and reissued the second order + the free book (EEC on James) that I had requested days after my original order.

No double charge.Cool

Yup!  That was it.  Now I remember.  FL folks are great!  

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 7:06 PM

Denise:
The net result is I avoid purchase unless the odds are really good. I've stared at the jewish law resource and the jewish encyclopedia now, for maybe 4 years. It's such a risk.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS