The Christian Standard Bible (CSB)—Now on Pre-Pub (+ you may qualify for a free copy!)

Page 1 of 7 (127 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 126 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 185
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 13 2017 5:15 PM

Hello,

We're pleased to announce that the Christian Standard Bible (CSB), a major overhaul of their popular Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) is now available on Pre-Pub!

https://www.logos.com/product/134491/christian-standard-bible

You also might qualify for a free copy!

If you have already purchased the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB), place your Pre-Pub order for the Christian Standard Bible (CSB) and you’ll receive the CSB for free once it ships! To qualify, you must (1) have already purchased the HCSB before 1/13/17, (2) place your Pre-Pub order for the CSB, and (3) do not cancel your Pre-Pub order until the CSB ships. Once the CSB ships, we’ll unlock the CSB for you and won't charge you for the order!

We do not currently have sample pages for this translation. We will update the product page once we do.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Product Manager, Faithlife

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 5:20 PM

Daniel Motley:
To qualify, you must (1) have already purchased the HCSB before 1/13/17, (2) place your Pre-Pub order for the CSB, and (3) do not cancel your Pre-Pub order until the CSB ships.

For clarification:

1. "Before 1/13/17" means users can't purchase it today and still qualify, right? They had to have already purchased it prior to today. 
  2. I assume if a user owns this resource as a part of a bundle, the "purchase" still counts. It didn't need to be a stand alone purchase, right? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 185
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 5:43 PM

alabama24:

1. "Before 1/13/17" means users can't purchase it today and still qualify, right? They had to have already purchased it prior to today. 

Yes—only someone who has purchased the HCSB before today qualifies. If you don't own the HCSB, you cannot purchase the HCSB now and get the CSB for free.

alabama24:

2.   I assume if a user owns this resource as a part of a bundle, the "purchase" still counts. It didn't need to be a stand alone purchase, right? 

That is correct. No matter how you purchased it (individual purchase, bundle, collection, base package, etc.), as long as you own this resource and follow the steps above, you qualify.

Thank you for the clarifying questions!

Posts 7058
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 5:44 PM

alabama24:

Daniel Motley:
To qualify, you must (1) have already purchased the HCSB before 1/13/17, (2) place your Pre-Pub order for the CSB, and (3) do not cancel your Pre-Pub order until the CSB ships.

For clarification:

2. I assume if a user owns this resource as a part of a bundle, the "purchase" still counts. It didn't need to be a stand alone purchase, right? 

I was wondering the same thing, since he posted this today 1/13/17 so there's no chance.  Also, I already own it as part of an expensive Base Package, so I would hope it would still count.

Anyway, hopefully, we'll get an answer soon to see if we qualify.  Meanwhile, just in case, I'll place my prepub...hehe

DAL

Edit: Yep, I qualify! Good!

Posts 340
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 6:02 PM

Great stuff FL. Thanks for the CSB! Big Smile I qualify.

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 450
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 6:03 PM

Yes Thanks for the prompt pre-pub. Hope to see it soon.

Posts 1747
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 6:12 PM

Grateful to Faithlife (and presumably the publisher's cooperation) for this free upgrade.

Posts 204
David Salazar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 6:20 PM

Most information I've found re: CSB

http://thislamp.com/posts/2016/11/19/2017-christian-standard-bible-csb-first-look-updated.html

HCSB is my main preaching/teaching Bible (study remains NASB)

Gonna miss seeing the name Yahweh as it goes back the the tradition LORD.  (If it's a proper name, treat it as such, not alter caps to make a title into a name).   Also sadly slave is out and servant is in.  I get that people have a fixed definition of the word slave.  But I've also found that when I've read the word, people start paying attention more and I'm able to mention how the Bible is using it and people actually gain more from the Word. Bond-servant has always seemed to churchy a word that people bypass it.

Happy to see certain instances of adelphoi transalted as "brothers and sisters" when context warrants it. Also use of Christ instead of Messiah for NT.

not a biggie, but I've always like divine pronouns to be capitalized. 

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 6:56 PM

This is my favorite and main translation David Salazar

Like yourself, I do not agree with the removing of the name Yahweh, and going back to the traditional LORD. Am in agreement with your point of view on this. It is one of the things that I loved about the HCSB Translation. 

• All 645 instances of Yahweh in the HCSB have been replaced with the more traditional LORD (all caps).

"My main quibble with the changes is the loss of Yahweh for the Divine Name (יְהוִה/YHWH). Yes, I know the arguments: we don't know the exact pronunciation, and use of the name is offensive to some with Jewish backgrounds. For the latter issue, a speaker needs to be sensitive to his or her audience. Nevertheless, I have a problem with the use of the word Lord/LORD because (1) it is a title, not a name; and (2) it is a not a word in use outside religious circles in our culture and loses nearly all original meaning when used for God."

I was so surprised and shocked that they did this: 

• Pronouns referring to deity are no longer capitalized
  • The new CSB uses the title Messiah much less often than the HCSB, which used it 116 times in the New Testament for Χριστός/Christos. Note, for instance, the use of Christ in Matt 1:16 of the CSB as opposed to the HCSB's Messiah.

Since it being my favorite translation, I opted for the free CSB, and am very thankful to FAITHLIFE and the PUBLISHERS.

NOTE: I might just cancel my pre-pub order because of this. I will make my decision over the next few days. It sounds as if they tried to follow the pattern of the modernized ESV, which is my least favorite translation of all. Why so modernize a translation, such as the HCSB, when there was nothing wrong with it to begin with. All we are seeing these days are modernized translations, which in my point of view is taking us further and further away from the truth of the Word of God.

QUESTIONS: Will we still retain the HCSB, or is this an upgrade from the HCSB to the CSB? Can I have both the HCSB and the CSB as well?

Posts 2200
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 8:06 PM

Thanks FL!  This is great!

Posts 2539
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 4:21 AM

David Salazar:

Also sadly slave is out and servant is in.  I get that people have a fixed definition of the word slave.  But I've also found that when I've read the word, people start paying attention more and I'm able to mention how the Bible is using it and people actually gain more from the Word. Bond-servant has always seemed to churchy a word that people bypass it.

The report linked reported Rom 1:1 -  IMHO Slave is the better word.  But hope that we will retain both translations.  

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 5:31 AM

I wonder how this will impact the prospects of a HCSB Old Testament reverse interlinear being created. Maybe the existing NT RI will be modified to match the CSB and then an OT RI can be developed for both? Maybe? Please? Angel

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 7:58 AM

Hi Daniel Motley

Can you clarify if the HCSB and the CSB will be 2 separate translations?

I would really like to keep my HCSB if I can, and also have the CSB as well.

Thanks.

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 8:02 AM

Kenute P. Curry:

I can confidently say "yes," else there wouldn't be a pre-pub for it. There is the possibility that the HCSB will be removed from the store (if the publisher requires such), but you will be able to keep the copy you have. 

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 8:06 AM

Thank you alabama24

I figured so, because I see that it is already there. Just needed some clarification. Once again, thanks.

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 8:12 AM

Kenute P. Curry:
Why so modernize a translation, such as the HCSB, when there was nothing wrong with it to begin with. All we are seeing these days are modernized translations, which in my point of view is taking us further and further away from the truth of the Word of God.

I can't speak for this translation, nor do I want to get into any specifics. I will tell you, however, that I appreciate translations which utilize transliteration. I did want to speak for the broader issue, however. Language constantly changes and the need for new translations will continue until the Lord returns. I do think that it is interesting that the same arguments persist: There would be many people who would look at you and make the same argument... "Why the need for the HCSB? All we are seeing these days are modernized translations, which is taking us further and further away from the truth of the Word of God." Wink

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 12:22 PM

Thank you alabama24 

I respect your comments.

Posts 185
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 12:46 PM

Kenute P. Curry:

Hi Daniel Motley

I would really like to keep my HCSB if I can, and also have the CSB as well.

Thanks.

Hey Kenute,

Yes, the CSB will be created as a new product. You will be able to keep the HCSB.

Thank you for helping me clarify that!

Posts 1659
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 7:53 PM

Daniel Motley:
If you have already purchased the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB), place your Pre-Pub order for the Christian Standard Bible (CSB) and you’ll receive the CSB for free once it ships

Okay so it shows as a pre-pub with a $7.99 price tag, but I won't actually be charged?
Unusual.

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 8:24 AM

Allen Browne:

Okay so it shows as a pre-pub with a $7.99 price tag, but I won't actually be charged?

correct

Page 1 of 7 (127 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS