BUG (?): Visual Copy of John 1:1

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 18 2017 3:54 PM

I tried to create a visual copy of John 1:1 and got the following image:

I don't have any way to determine whether it's John 1:1 or not since I don't read Chinese (at least it looks like Chinese characters to me). But that's the point.

I tried this with the NIV, the LEB and the ESV.

What I did:

1. Highlight John 1:1 and right-click
  2. Select "John 1:1" (REFERENCE) from the right side of the right-click drop down menu
  3. Select "Visual Copy" from the left side of the right-click drop down menu
  4. Become confused and try again  Wink

(I also restarted my computer and cleared the cache (with CCleaner), before trying again and getting the same results.)

BTW, I get the same results if I highlight and choose any selected text (SELECTION) from the John 1:1 right-click menu.

Visual copy seems to work fine for the other verses I tried in John 1.

I've not been able to find other places where this occurs.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 302
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 4:46 PM

Just to confirm, what you are seeing is John 1:1 in Chinese,yes Smile

I get the same layout, but with an English text (still on Logos 6).

Posts 24842
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2017 3:38 PM

I selected the words "In the begining was the word" in Jn 1:1, and got the Chinese image in LEB, NLT, NIV84, NRSV but not in ESV.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2567
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2017 1:15 PM

Rich DeRuiter:

I don't have any way to determine whether it's John 1:1 or not since I don't read Chinese (at least it looks like Chinese characters to me). But that's the point.

What I did:

2. Select "John 1:1" (REFERENCE) from the right side of the right-click drop down menu

(I also restarted my computer and cleared the cache (with CCleaner), before trying again and getting the same results.)

BTW, I get the same results if I highlight and choose any selected text (SELECTION) from the John 1:1 right-click menu.

Visual copy seems to work fine for the other verses I tried in John 1.

I've not been able to find other places where this occurs.

Rich,

Do you just get Chinese? I would expect it to show all VOD options for this passage, unless you filter out other languages. 

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2017 6:07 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Rich,

Do you just get Chinese? I would expect it to show all VOD options for this passage, unless you filter out other languages. 

Yes. You can see what I got as the default option for this verse. I can get the English version by clicking the four-square, window-type icon, though I have to scroll through a few languages (German, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese). It's the last option of this style in the list.

I've not seen this before, but perhaps this is one of the few that have multiple languages, and they seem to be listed alphabetically (Spanish = Español).

I'd expect the default language to be the default presented.

Posts 27547
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2017 7:06 PM

I can confirm similar behavior in other searches. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2017 7:45 AM

Rich DeRuiter:
I've not seen this before, but perhaps this is one of the few that have multiple languages, and they seem to be listed alphabetically (Spanish = Español).

Don't know why I didn't notice this before.

Decided to look at other verses likely to have more than one language:

For John 3:16, English (my default language in Logos) is the default language, followed by German, Spanish, Portuguese and French. Wait. They're all in alphabetical order by language except French (Spanish sorted as "Spanish" this time, not "Español")? That reminded me that in the John 1:1 example. If the options were listed in alphabetical order, English would come after German, and before Español, unless it were not tagged.

In Romans 8:28, Portuguese is the default (Brazilian Portuguese, perhaps?), followed by English, German, French, Spanish.

For Romans 12:2, German is the default, followed by Chinese, English, French, Korean, and what looks to my eye like a second slide in Chinese (Japanese with Chinese characters?). My alphabetical listing theory isn't holding up in this example.

In Proverbs 3:5-6, English is given as the default (yay!), followed by German (Deutsche), Spanish (Español), French, and Portuguese. Looks alphabetical. (BTW, the artwork only shows up if I select vv. 5-6, not if I only select v.5. I didn't know that this was a restriction.)

For Philippians 4:8, French is the default, followed by German, Portuguese, English, and Spanish (not following alphabetical order by language at all here).

For Jeremiah 29:11, Spanish is the default, followed by Portuguese, English, German and French

For Matthew 6:33, Spanish is the default, vollowed by German, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean (?), a different artwork English slide, followed by the same artwork English slide.

I suppose I could keep searching (using lists from different sites of most popular verses), but this should suffice as examples.

It looks like in many, but not all examples, that the different language slides are sorted alphabetically by language, but this only works if sometimes the languages are given their English language names, and other times the language names they have in their own languages (e.g. Spanish vs. Español). A few times, the alphabetical scheme seems to break down, suggesting that either they aren't being sorted alphabetically by language, or that in some cases language tags weren't given and another default sorting routine is being used. It's possible, I suppose that they are all simply sorted by date created, and that the apparent alphabetical listing I observe is accidental and/or contrived. But that seems doubtful given some of the above examples where English is the default, in the middle or last - I'd expect the English to be created first. (Obviously, I'm guessing about how this works.) Whatever sorting us used, it should be consistent, and it doesn't seem to be (just blame the artists; they're used to it Wink).

BTW, it might be helpful to note somewhere, or with a tag visible to the user, which translations are being used in these wonderful works of word-art. This would be especially helpful for those of us (like me) who can recognize a language, but not always read it to make such determinations.

[Note to self: I just probably spent way too much time on this.]

Posts 27547
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2017 8:01 AM

Philana R. Crouch:
I would expect it to show all VOD options for this passage, unless you filter out other languages.

I would expect it to show ONLY English, unless otherwise specified. Making the user scroll through a number of unhelpful slides is time consuming and counter productive Wink 

Posts 21848
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2017 8:40 AM

Rich DeRuiter:

I'm not seeing it with John 1:1 - I get the English image with the (four squares) option to select others.

This is with NIV on 7.4 beta 3 on Windows 10.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2017 9:18 AM

Graham Criddle:

Rich DeRuiter:

I'm not seeing it with John 1:1 - I get the English image with the (four squares) option to select others.

This is with NIV on 7.4 beta 3 on Windows 10.

Also NIV (US - 2011 and US 1984), 7.4, b3, on Windows 10. Maybe the UK English is the difference (?). Unlike Dave H., I get the same result, regardless of the translation I try (though I've not tried all those I have).

Posts 24842
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2017 12:17 PM

Dave Hooton:

I selected the words "In the begining was the word" in Jn 1:1, and got the Chinese image in LEB, NLT, NIV84, NRSV but not in ESV.

Text replacement doesn't work with LEB but it does with ESV, where the initial image shows the selected text i.e. when selecting text replacement images via the 4-squares icon.

So both language choice and text replacement are suspect.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 21848
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2017 1:48 PM

Rich DeRuiter:

Also NIV (US - 2011 and US 1984), 7.4, b3, on Windows 10. Maybe the UK English is the difference (?). Unlike Dave H., I get the same result, regardless of the translation I try (though I've not tried all those I have).

I am usng UK English on my computer but usng the non-Anglicised version of NIV 2011

Posts 2567
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2017 11:25 AM

Rich DeRuiter:

What I did:

Hi Rich,

We've got a case open for this issue.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2017 1:25 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Hi Rich,

We've got a case open for this issue.

Thanks.

To summarize: The inconsistent sort order of the slides (even different for different users!) is the issue, and probably the (inconsistent?) language tagging of the slides (assuming there is such tagging).

Posts 10
Sophie Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 4:39 AM

I got to do what you have written! I'm not good at Chinese. But I'm happy!

Posts 26263
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 7:21 PM

Sophie Miller:

I got to do what you have written! I'm not good at Chinese. But I'm happy!

This is going to sound silly but I am suspicious that you are a smart bot not a person ... could you tell me what package you are running? Thanks. And I promise a great embarrassed image if necessary.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27547
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2017 7:25 PM

MJ. Smith:
This is going to sound silly but I am suspicious that you are a smart bot not a person

I reported this account this morning and it has since been deleted... but the posts remain. Brand new "user" with 10 strange posts, all from this morning. 

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS