Workflow Ideas

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 87
Rafe Andersen | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 5 2017 8:46 PM

I love Logos, but I have never been able to get the hang of doing certain tasks in Logos. In my context, I will be writing many research papers for the next four years, and during that time I will also be preaching and teaching. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to approach Logos for those tasks?

Posts 24341
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2017 9:28 PM

Finding relevant material can be daunting but Factbook, Topic Guide & Sermon Starter Guide can be very useful. Passage Guide can assist with commentaries, cross references and interpretation. Bible Word Study/Exegetical Guide can assist with word analysis/exegesis. This presumes you have a decent feature set from Logos 7 and earlier versions or a subscription to Logos/Verbum Now.

My approach to documenting material for preaching/teaching starts with Clippings where you can add useful articles from resources and create notes (or paste them from a Notes document). I gather you don't like Sermon editor, so you can Export clippings and finalise your work in Word / Powerpoint. This may also be applicable to research papers.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 87
Rafe Andersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2017 9:39 PM

I will try these things out. Thank you.

Posts 2639
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2017 5:42 PM

Rafe Andersen:

I love Logos, but I have never been able to get the hang of doing certain tasks in Logos. In my context, I will be writing many research papers for the next four years, and during that time I will also be preaching and teaching. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to approach Logos for those tasks?

This is a loading question, at least as it regards to preaching. What kind of sermons do you prepare? Do you use an expository/inductive method of study before writing your sermons? If so, starting with the Passage Guide or Sermon Starter Guide are the worst ways to get started. Use the Exegetical Guide first and do proper inductive Bible study by making good observations and then record those observations from the text itself in the Notes feature attached to a verse or passage. Then use interpretive questions with the who what when were why and how kinds of Questions. Find those answers in the Exegetical Guide and then dictionaries, and lastly commentaries. That's just a start.

Posts 1752
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2017 10:18 PM

Rafe, thanks for your question/feedback. This is an area we've been talking a lot about internally. We're exploring some ideas around guided study and process/methodology/workflow. Our aim would be to help you know what steps to take to do certain kinds of Bible study tasks.

Posts 692
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 12:53 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Rafe, thanks for your question/feedback. This is an area we've been talking a lot about internally. We're exploring some ideas around guided study and process/methodology/workflow. Our aim would be to help you know what steps to take to do certain kinds of Bible study tasks.

This sounds exciting, really exciting. I have now more than enough resources. What I need is help with finding the most useful ones for a certain task. The Lexham Bible Guides are great with this, but more processes/methodologies/workflows/... would be even better.

Posts 276
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 9:15 AM

Armin:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

This sounds exciting, really exciting. I have now more than enough resources. What I need is help with finding the most useful ones for a certain task. The Lexham Bible Guides are great with this, but more processes/methodologies/workflows/... would be even better.

I am glad Faithlife is considering the wider application of preaching. In addition to the exegesis of the text I believe that the form of the sermon must also be addressed and is probably the most difficult part of the sermon writing process. Knowing which sermon form(s) best fits the bible genre is a challenge. Kent Edwards Mobile Ed course, "Invitation to Biblical Preaching II is a significant help in this area, but is only applicable to an epistle genre. I am hoping that Kent Edwards Mobile Ed preaching course on the narrative genre  becomes available in Logos in the near future to further fill this need.

Perhaps a section in the Sermon Starter guide or the Passage Guide with "sermon form" would help if it could be connected to books in Logos that deal with the forms of sermons- "The Four Pages of The Sermon" or "Determining the Form: Structures for Preaching" come to mind.

I think that Dave is right in starting with the topic guide or sermon starter guide as one legitimate place to start because of the section of "key passages" and "pericopes". When teaching a subject, it helps to know where the bible emphasizes a certain doctrine without having to use the topical sermon form. One can then use one text for the sermon, use an inductive method to determine the big idea of the text and a sermon form to communicate that big idea to others.

Posts 1711
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2017 4:32 PM

Rafe Andersen:

I will also be preaching and teaching. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to approach Logos for those tasks?

Have you seen Joe Miller's 5 day cycle of sermon prep? https://youtu.be/2UOIuGMjgoA?list=PL8AA3949989A57B88

it is an older version of Logos, but is still applicable as a Workflow suggestion.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 701
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 9:45 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Anything ever come of this? Is this a Logos 8 initiative?

Posts 302
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2018 10:43 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
guided study and process/methodology/workflow.

Yes

Posts 485
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 4:29 PM

Hi Rafe:

I am not an expert, just keep that in mind while you read (if you read as I am posting a little late).

As a lay sheep there is a word that is very important: relevance.

I have noticed that sometimes God deals with particular thrusts at a time, and is all related be it research papers, teaching and / or preaching.

Flocks need relevancy in their growth, so is important to take that into consideration.

I read a while ago, that in a church, topics were announced for the preaching event. In turn small groups would meet to discuss, study the topic.

Questions, interesting comments, experiences, spin offs, etc. were relayed to the preacher, and in turn that info could be used to fine hone the Sunday message. From that teaching took place along the lines of that message, etc.

So the question is: who will you be preaching to? what are they concerned about? Is God telling you that they need to know, become or do something or someone in particular?

Can you meet in small groups to gather info that becomes very pertinent to their contextual situation, so you can be more precise in your sermon prep?

Are key areas showing that definitively need research and that you can turn into a great research paper while at the same time prep you up for sermon and teaching?

I hope you can see the spiral that can be created in such way.

Hope this helps.

Posts 87
Rafe Andersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 8:29 PM

To my shame, I had forgotten about this thread. Thanks to all who replied. 

Posts 87
Rafe Andersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 8:34 PM

Thanks for the tips, Kevin. 

Posts 87
Rafe Andersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 8:34 PM

Great ideas, Dave. Thanks! 

Posts 87
Rafe Andersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 8:35 PM

I have seen those, David. I will look at them again. 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS