No NEW Journals - why not?

Page 33 of 36 (701 items) « First ... < Previous 31 32 33 34 35 Next > ... Last »
This post has 700 Replies | 24 Followers

Posts 681
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2019 1:20 AM

This is better news - and I would certainly be a fan of getting any extra tagging done by the community.

My only slight concern would be to have a 'quality control' aspect to that - also possibly community based. Something like the 'Wikipedia' editor approach. However I am clearly not the person to speak to the practicality of this as an approach.

shalom

Posts 1921
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 7:03 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I'm open to hosting a video chat with those who wish you participate in late November or early December. Can we agree on that as a good next step?

Did this video chat ever take place? 

Posts 681
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 7:05 AM

Not that I am aware of

Shalom

Posts 110
Theo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 9:48 PM

Any updates?

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Sorry for the delay on providing an update on journals. With the launch of Logos 8, the holidays, some business travel, two funerals, and sickness, it's been an extra busy few months.

I think we've come up with an economical way to produce Galaxie's Theological Journal Library, vols. 1–20 while still ensuring that it'll show up in the Journals guide section (and be searchable using our journal label searching). It won't have all the markup we do to most resources, but it should deliver the essential value journal users are looking for and ensure we're not blocked by funding production costs. We should know in a few weeks if our approach will work. If it does, we shouldn't be too far away from shipping this product. This should also allow us not to have to run future versions of this product through Pre-Pub and wait for funding but instead either take pre-orders for a few weeks before shipping it or just ship and sell it.

We're also looking at the cost and funding levels for our four journal bundles (MJBTJBAJB, and TJLUB) and hope to have an update on them soon. It looks like the funding might be close enough to put them into production in the near future and then ship them not long after that. But we'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Any updates?

I'll follow up when I have more information to share. Thanks for your patience.

Posts 110
Theo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 9:49 PM

Any updates?

Posts 1908
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:19 PM

Kind of off topic but relates to journals...

Question for Phil to ponder...

I found out my seminary pays over $200,000 per year just for access to the eBooks and journal articles it supplies to its students (that's not counting their print books, etc.). This is for access to EBSCO, ProQuest, etc., albeit with a search interface not as powerful as Logos.

My question for Phil is:

With Faithlife's history and relationships with digital publishers, Bible study platforms, and now getting into larger bundles such as Faithlife Equip, how hard would it be for Faithlife to:

• Offer a subscription bundle of eBooks, Bible study resources, and journal articles to Bible colleges and seminaries
  • With content that is similar to what they currently access in EBSCO and ProQuest
  • With a more powerful search interface (similar to how Logos has built the Logos web app)
  • With full citation exporting for the major academic styles
  • Plus the ability to offer discounted access for students to Logos libraries for Bible colleges and students who subscribe
  • At a most cost-effective price than what Bible colleges and seminaries pay today?

Nathan Parker

Posts 9955
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 3:07 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We're also looking at the cost and funding levels for our four journal bundles (MJBTJBAJB, and TJLUB) and hope to have an update on them soon. It looks like the funding might be close enough to put them into production in the near future and then ship them not long after that. But we'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Just reviewing my growing prepubs, I notice, with any luck, the Journals prepub will soon be a year old.  I'm assuming a few more kick-the-can Phil posts.

I'm always too humorous, and I minor-ly updated the new journals feature description (in parens) ..., that'd be from Logos 6 four years ago:

What is it? 

The new Journals section lets you search the journals collections you own for Bible references and topics. With this new tool you can run a Passage Guide or Sermon Starter Guide report and get the most concise and up-to-date (or maybe not) recent information from your journals collections then organize your results by journal or by year. 

How does it work? 

Put the finishing touches on your next research paper with insight from a scholarly article, discover what’s driving today’s (or a few years ago) leading theological discussions, and get the most up-to-date (or maybe not) biblical research from some of the most respected pastors and scholars. Search your journals with ease with the new Journals Section.

Posts 1921
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2019 6:49 AM

So today I was searching for an article by S. Lewis Johnson, Jr and found it in The Masters Seminary Journal Vol 20 dated 2009.  But alas, in Logos, we only have up to vol 18.

Sigh...

Posts 4743
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 12:41 PM

Keep us not in suspense...is there any chance that Vetus Testamentum and Novum Testamentum will be added to Logos? Just to be clear, wanting the journals, the supplements, and the congresses. Been asking for these for at least a decade...have THOUSANDS of references to these two journals in my library.

Posts 4743
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 12:46 PM

Nathan Parker:

My question for Phil is:

With Faithlife's history and relationships with digital publishers, Bible study platforms, and now getting into larger bundles such as Faithlife Equip, how hard would it be for Faithlife to:

• Offer a subscription bundle of eBooks, Bible study resources, and journal articles to Bible colleges and seminaries
  • With content that is similar to what they currently access in EBSCO and ProQuest
  • With a more powerful search interface (similar to how Logos has built the Logos web app)
  • With full citation exporting for the major academic styles
  • Plus the ability to offer discounted access for students to Logos libraries for Bible colleges and students who subscribe
  • At a most cost-effective price than what Bible colleges and seminaries pay today?

I made a similar inquiry/request a few years back. Unfortunately, I don't think what I really want will ever happen, which is to have most of this stuff hyperlinked in Logos.

Posts 147
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 7:06 AM

Seeing so much flack about Journals in this thread leaves me spinning my head when this prepub to update existing journals is not moving.

https://www.logos.com/product/154052/master-journal-bundle-41

Posts 681
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 8:03 AM

I suspect - due to the inactivity many will have already gone elsewhere.

Sad - but probably true!

Shalom

Posts 3067
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 8:18 AM

I'm still here... Still waiting for JETS

Posts 1921
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 9:16 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

Sad - but probably true!

Shalom

I suspect a business decision has been made and it is not being communicated because it would disappoint us all.  It is clear, very clear, that Journals are NOT a priority for Faithlife.  They took the ball from Galaxie and fumbled. 

Posts 1788
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 9:26 AM

Mark:

Kevin A Lewis:

Sad - but probably true!

Shalom

I suspect a business decision has been made and it is not being communicated because it would disappoint us all.  It is clear, very clear, that Journals are NOT a priority for Faithlife.  They took the ball from Galaxie and fumbled. 

We're really close to shipping. I'll see if we can get a projected ship date.

Posts 1788
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 9:31 AM

Mark:

So today I was searching for an article by S. Lewis Johnson, Jr and found it in The Masters Seminary Journal Vol 20 dated 2009.  But alas, in Logos, we only have up to vol 18.

Sigh...

Neither we nor Galaxie have updates to this journal. Unfortunately, they're in an exclusive arrangement that won't allow others to offer it.

Posts 8833
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 9:34 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We're really close to shipping. I'll see if we can get a projected ship date.

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1788
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 9:34 AM

David Paul:

Keep us not in suspense...is there any chance that Vetus Testamentum and Novum Testamentum will be added to Logos? Just to be clear, wanting the journals, the supplements, and the congresses. Been asking for these for at least a decade...have THOUSANDS of references to these two journals in my library.

Unfortunately not in the immediate future. I don't remember the details on these, but I think it was a closed door last time we checked.

Posts 2685
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 9:35 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

Sad - but probably true!

Shalom

I have held off for a long time in the hope that the Logos edition will soon be available. This is taking far too long than I'd hoped for and with no end in sight, I am beginning to wonder if it is worth waiting for.

It would be sad If Logos do not carry these Journals but I do appreciate that the maths for Logos do not add up.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3067
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2019 10:00 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

David Paul:

Unfortunately not in the immediate future. I don't remember the details on these, but I think it was a closed door last time we checked.

Is JETS still in future? The updated Biblio Sacra?

Page 33 of 36 (701 items) « First ... < Previous 31 32 33 34 35 Next > ... Last » | RSS