No NEW Journals - why not?

Page 38 of 38 (760 items) « First ... < Previous 34 35 36 37 38
This post has 759 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 1963
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 5:18 AM

Phil, this continues the tradition of being confusing. Tell me please what is the difference between Theological Journals Bundle 5.1 and Galaxie Theolgical Journal Library Vol 1-22.  I know there is a Galaxie subscription, but I am not interested in that.  From what I can see, these two are not subscription.  I also understand hyperlinking may be different in the two packages.  What I want to know is:

1.  What do you get in Galalxie Vol 1-22 that you do not get in Theological Journals Bundle 5.1?

2.  If one has pre-ordered the Masters Bundle 5.1, what Galaxie Journals in vol 1-22 would not be included in the Masters Bundle? 

3.  If one has all the Journal packages to date, does one need to purchase Galaxie Theological Journal Vol 1-22 AND Masters Bundle 5.1 to still have all the journals?  Or does Masters 5.1 cover it all?

I have tried to look back in the thread to figure this out and I do not have it figured out.  I had assumed that pre-ordering the Masters Bundle 5.1 gives everything

Posts 13372
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 8:00 AM

Mark:
Tell me please what is the difference between Theological Journals Bundle 5.1 and Galaxie Theolgical Journal Library Vol 1-22.

The TLJ bundle includes some journals from Galaxie and other journals produced by Faithlife. But it only includes journals that are 'theological' by nature. It doesn't include journals related to pastoral practice, for example. There is therefore a lot of overlap between the two, but they are not subsets or supersets of each other.

Mark:
If one has pre-ordered the Masters Bundle 5.1, what Galaxie Journals in vol 1-22 would not be included in the Masters Bundle? 

Master 5.1 has a large number of journals not found in Galaxie 1-22. But the reverse is also true. By my calculations:

Exclusive to Galaxie 1-22

• Bible and Spade (First Run), vols. 1–12 (1972–1983)
  • Bible and Spade (Second Run), vols. 0–29 (1987–2016)
  • Central Bible Quarterly, vols. 1–22 (1958–1979)
  • Christian Apologetics Journal, vols. 1–12 (1998–2014)
  • Emmaus Journal, vols. 1–21 (1991–2012)
  • Faith and Mission, vols. 1–24 (1983–2008)
  • Global Journal of Classical Theology, vols. 1–15 (1998–2017)
  • Grace Journal, vols. 1–14 (1960–1973)
  • Grace Theological Journal, vols. 1–12 (1980–1991)
  • Journal of Christian Apologetics, vols. 1–2 (1997–1998)
  • Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, vols. 1–61 (1958–2018)
  • Journal of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies, vols. 1–5 (2013–2018)
  • Master's Seminary Journal, vols. 1–18 (1990–2007)
  • Michigan Theological Journal, vols. 1–5 (1990–1994)
  • Reformation and Revival, vols. 1–13 (1992–2004)
  • Reformed Baptist Theological Review, vols. 1–8 (2004–2011)
  • Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal, vols. 1–5 (2014–2018)
  • Southeastern Theological Review, vols. 1–9 (2010–2018)
  • Trinity Journal, vols. 1–30 (1980–2009)
Posts 1943
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 12:10 PM

I also discuss the difference between the Galaxie Library and the Master Bundle here:

https://parkernathan.faithlifesites.com/online

Nathan Parker

Posts 1963
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 2:54 PM

Mark and Nathan, thanks for your input but still not clear for me:

Nathan, your write in your article:

I personally own the Master Journal Bundle 4.1 and have pre-ordered the Master Journal Bundle 5.1 (all journal bundles, with the exception of the Theological Journal Library Subscription available from Logos, offer dynamic pricing upgrades where customers only pay for the new books).

The Theological Journal Library is not the same as the subscription.

You further write: The only drawback with the Master Journal Bundles is that they do not include all of the volumes of the Theological Journal Library, so I recommend students purchase the Theological Journal Library from Logos first, then use the dynamic pricing upgrade to upgrade to the Master Journal Bundle if they are interested in the additional content.

So from this I am getting that like you, if I have Master Journal Bundle 4.1 and I have pre-ordered Master Journal Bundle 5.1, I still will be missing some journals that come in the Theological Journal Library package.  Thus, I should pre-order the Theological Journal Library in addition to the Master Journal Bundle. 

And it would appear that I should actually cancel the Master Journal Bundle 5.1 pre-order until after the Theological Journal Library is actually purchased in order to get a better Master Journal Dynamic price.

Is that what I am understanding?  In other words, the Master Journal Bundle 5.1 will not upgrade those of us who have all Galaxie Journals to date and Masters Journal Bundle 4.1 to include all that is in the Theological Journal Library.  Is my understanding (though foggy) now correct?

Posts 1943
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 6:01 PM

Mark:

Mark and Nathan, thanks for your input but still not clear for me

If you want all the journals, you need to pre-order both:

Galaxie Theological Journal Library 1-22

and

Master Journal Bundle 5.1

Galaxie 1-22 will ship first, dynamically priced to whatever you own. Master 5.1 will ship later, and the dynamic price will update reflecting any content you already own and any overlapping content in Galaxie 1-22.

If you only want to keep current with specifically what's from Galaxie, then only preorder Galaxie Theological Journal Library 1-22.

For the future, if you want all the journals, you need to continue to pre-order all future:

Galaxie Theological Journal Library bundles

Master Journal Bundles

If you only want to keep current with specifically what's from Galaxie, then only preorder Galaxie Theological Journal Library bundles in the future (the ones specifically marked "Galaxie".

Here's the difference between the two:

Master Journal Bundles: Includes much (but not all) of the content in the Galaxie bundle, but it does include extra journals not in the Galaxie bundle. This bundle is the bundle that Faithlife/Logos directly licenses from journal publishers. They have direct licenses to some (but not all) journals offered by Galaxie, plus they have licenses to some journals Galaxie doesn't.

Galaxie Theological Journal Library Bundles: Includes all of the content from Galaxie's own Theological Journal Library which mirrors what's included on the Galaxie website. Faithlife/Logos re-sells Galaxie's own Theological Journal Library as a bundle in Logos format. The bundle is in Logos format, but the content license itself comes from Galaxie (specifically for journals it hasn't licensed directly).

Nathan Parker

Posts 1963
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 7:12 PM

Thank you, Nathan.  That was very clear.  I now know I need to preorder both.  It would be nice if FL would put your explanation on their website. It was clear.

Posts 1943
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 7:43 PM

Mark:

Thank you, Nathan.  That was very clear.  I now know I need to preorder both.  It would be nice if FL would put your explanation on their website. It was clear.

Glad to assist. They're welcome to use it if they want. I could add this to my link as well to clarify things.

Nathan Parker

Posts 775
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 1:20 AM

Nathan Parker:

Galaxie 1-22 will ship first, dynamically priced to whatever you own. Master 5.1 will ship later, and the dynamic price will update reflecting any content you already own and any overlapping content in Galaxie 1-22.

From what I can see with the pricing, Master 5.1 is not only dynamically priced but also has a sales discount. Galaxie 1-22 is only dynamically priced. So I plan to first buy Master 5.1 while in pre pub, and then buy Galaxie 1-22. The hope is that this approach is cheaper than if I purchase them in the order they become available. But I don't have any evidence for this.

Posts 1963
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 4:32 AM

Armin

That is a good point.  I do not see much I will recieve from Galaxie 1-22 once receiving the Masters 5.1.  I wonder if anyone else has a comment on this

Posts 418
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 4:56 AM

If the journals obtained through Faithlife are better tagged and better functionality than those obtained through Galaxy, wouldn't it make sense to get the Master Journal first and then Galaxy's?

Posts 10600
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 6:01 AM

Jordan Litchfield:

If the journals obtained through Faithlife are better tagged and better functionality than those obtained through Galaxy, wouldn't it make sense to get the Master Journal first and then Galaxy's?

Sounds like a good plan

Posts 13372
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 1:59 PM

Jordan Litchfield:

There are not going to be two copies of the resources. It will make no difference what order you buy them in.

Posts 9017
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 5:17 PM

Nathan Parker:

Thanks Nathan. I didn't realize this and just place my order for Galaxie. I incorrectly assumed that the Master Bundle incorporated both.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1963
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 5:54 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Nathan Parker:

Thanks Nathan. I didn't realize this and just place my order for Galaxie. I incorrectly assumed that the Master Bundle incorporated both.

I do not know how Nathan knew but I am thankful for his explanation.  I would like to write more, but I am working hard to restrain myself.

Posts 1943
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 5:56 PM

Mark Barnes:

There are not going to be two copies of the resources. It will make no difference what order you buy them in.

This is correct. There's only going to be one copy of the journals, whether they're first obtained through the Galaxie bundle or the Master Journal Bundle.

I'm not sure about this, but it's possible that Faithlife ships them in the Galaxie Bundle first to get them in the library, then goes back and adds additional tagging to them by the time the Master Bundle ships (in which you'd receive a free update to those journals). Phil or someone from Faithlife would have to clarify how that process works though.

The bottom line is, you can pre-order both bundles at once, regardless of shipping order, and you'll never pay twice for the overlapping journals and receive the same files regardless.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1943
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 6:00 PM

Mark:

I do not know how Nathan knew but I am thankful for his explanation.  I would like to write more, but I am working hard to restrain myself.

Glad to assist. A while back, Phil mentioned there was a difference between the Galaxie bundles and their own bundles. I also compared the lists to see the differences. 

I finally sorted through everything to understand the difference, and I decided to post it here so it's clearer to understand so Logos customers know which bundles they want/need to get the journals they want/need.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 4:11 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Nathan Parker:

I was also in the same boat.  I thought I was set to get all journals in the Master Bundle as well, so I was glad to see Nathan's post.  Thanks Nathan!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 692
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 1:21 AM

Faithlife

Thank you for the Galaxie Vol 1-22 set

Shalom

Posts 518
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 7:40 AM

I think one thing to keep in mind with Having Journals from two sources (Faithlife & Galaxy) is that Faithlife has obtained rights to some journals that Galaxy also has the rights to. Because of the high cost of journal tagging, and the large number of journals from Galaxy that needed to be updated, it made the cost to high. So they elected to do without updating the tagging, so we could at least get the journals into Logos format.

Where Faithlife's rights to journals overlap Galaxies, those journals will have all the expected tagging, regardless of who we but them from.

Hopefully we will get all the Galaxie titles fully updated.

Posts 187
Theo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2019 5:13 PM

Why is Ex Auditu no longer available?

Any chance of getting it online electronically otherwise?

Page 38 of 38 (760 items) « First ... < Previous 34 35 36 37 38 | RSS