No NEW Journals - why not?

Page 4 of 38 (760 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 759 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 5157
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 13 2017 8:14 PM

That was FL's stated intention but they haven't been able to implement it.

abondservant:

wasnt there a quarterly plan for new journals? what happened?

Posts 6574
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 13 2017 8:32 PM

I own plenty of journals in Logos plus BAR in another software.

This is where owning another software sometimes comes in handy. Not always ideal, but there are resources Logos has not been able to secure contracts with some publishers to bring their resources over to Logos (BAR, CARTA, etc.).  I'm surprise The  archaeological  Bible has not made it in yet even though it's a Zondervan product.

I'm good though 👍 

DAL

Posts 3312
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 14 2017 4:53 AM

I hope they bring JETS back and start updating their masters theological journals. 

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 14 2017 9:36 AM

Mattillo:

I hope they bring JETS back and start updating their masters theological journals. 

I agree Matillo.

I keep hoping I'll login and find an update. But its been several months since we've heard anything.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 692
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 14 2017 11:59 PM

So no news is bad news?

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 4:00 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

So no news is bad news?

Yeah, I think selling journal bundles under the pretense that they will be updated quarterly and then not following through is a big mistake on someone's part.  I certainly don't think Faithlife was purposely acting dishonestly, but it does seem as though the whole process was a disorganized mess with poor planning and execution.  For the record, I would have bought all of the journals either way, but I was looking forward to having them regularly updated.  This should be a priority, especially considering the updates were a major selling point.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 6574
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 4:12 AM

Joseph Turner:

Kevin A Lewis:

So no news is bad news?

Yeah, I think selling journal bundles under the pretense that they will be updated quarterly and then not following through is a big mistake on someone's part.  I certainly don't think Faithlife was purposely acting dishonestly, but it does seem as though the whole process was a disorganized mess with poor planning and execution.  For the record, I would have bought all of the journals either way, but I was looking forward to having them regularly updated.  This should be a priority, especially considering the updates were a major selling point.

Kind of like Logos Now having 6 week cycles to release new stuff. For now, I did not renew, but probably will next year.

DAL

Posts 10313
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 6:38 AM

I'll let Phil chime in (again):

Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2016 10:28 PM

The response to the first round of journal bundles was really positive. Based on that, we planned to do quarterly updates, where we'd add the latest volumes/issues from the existing journals and any new journals we'd licensed since the last update. But this is proving to be too much too quickly for enough customers to keep funding journal production at that pace. We'd still love to ship quarterly updates, but I think we're going to have to be more intentional about how many new journals (as opposed to updates to existing journals) we add each quarter to ensure that the price is workable for enough people's budgets.

We're digging in to what it would take to cover the deficit and ship 2.1, and we're also planning to try smaller releases each quarter moving forward.

Question: What is your budget for journals? Knowing this will help us decide how to pace our acquisition and development. Take this short survey to help us decide.

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 8:27 AM

Denise:

The response to the first round of journal bundles was really positive. Based on that, we planned to do quarterly updates, where we'd add the latest volumes/issues from the existing journals and any new journals we'd licensed since the last update. But this is proving to be too much too quickly for enough customers to keep funding journal production at that pace. We'd still love to ship quarterly updates, but I think we're going to have to be more intentional about how many new journals (as opposed to updates to existing journals) we add each quarter to ensure that the price is workable for enough people's budgets.

We're digging in to what it would take to cover the deficit and ship 2.1, and we're also planning to try smaller releases each quarter moving forward.

Question: What is your budget for journals? Knowing this will help us decide how to pace our acquisition and development. Take this short survey to help us decide.

The problem is that the original journal bundles did well under the pretense that the updates would be forthcoming.  This response from Phil posits a number of likely scenarios which would be implemented, yet NONE of them have been implemented.  It almost seems as though the journal situation got so overwhelming that it was simply dropped. I hope that these get back on track sooner than later. 

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 5157
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 12:29 PM

When it comes to FL this is par for the course, so many things get promised but never properly executed and followed through with to maturity and just get dropped without a word because they have moved onto the next big marketing idea to sell us the next version of the product.

Joseph Turner:

Denise:

The problem is that the original journal bundles did well under the pretense that the updates would be forthcoming.  This response from Phil posits a number of likely scenarios which would be implemented, yet NONE of them have been implemented.  It almost seems as though the journal situation got so overwhelming that it was simply dropped. I hope that these get back on track sooner than later. 

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 3:05 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
dropped without a word

The last update from FL was March 2. I happen to agree with all that everyone has written.  It is proper for FL to respond to let us know what is going on.  We were told there would be updates to the journals.  The silence is communicating a lot.

Posts 878
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 3:21 PM

Mark:

dropped without a word

The last update from FL was March 2. I happen to agree with all that everyone has written.  It is proper for FL to respond to let us know what is going on.  We were told there would be updates to the journals.  The silence is communicating a lot.

We are still working on this project. I'm sorry it keeps getting pushed back. However, we now have one person who will own the project going forward, which means it won't have to fight for the attention of multiple stakeholders.

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 4:35 PM

Thanks for the update Ben!

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 5:13 PM

Thanks Ben.  Would you please suggest that he/she be introduced to this thread.  Communication is key to keeping customers informed and happy.

Posts 6574
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 5:28 PM

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):

Mark:

dropped without a word

We are still working on this project. I'm sorry it keeps getting pushed back. However, we now have one person who will own the project going forward, which means it won't have to fight for the attention of multiple stakeholders.

Thanks! Take your time. Most are not using their journals anyway 😁 It's true 👍

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 6:10 PM

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):

Mark:

dropped without a word

This is great news!  Thanks Ben!

Posts 3312
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 6:21 PM

Yes Thank you for the update Ben.  Please bring JETS back and if possible make it possible to buy smaller chunks of journals for those of us who don't want to buy one massive $500+ journal bundle.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 6:32 PM

Thanks for the update, Ben! I have a good amount of journals to keep me busy for the moment (and I may join Galaxie just to have a backup copy of all the latest journals), so no major rush, although journals are important to us academic users.

@Mattillo One option for ETS while you wait for FL to re-offer them might be ETSJets.org. $30 for non students and $15 for students per year gets you online access to JETS. Not as luxurious as Logos, but I've used it for access to JETS when the stuff wasn't in Logos yet.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 3312
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 15 2017 6:58 PM

Thanks!

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 16 2017 10:42 AM

Hope this project comes to fruition soon, but like Nathan Parker I have more than enough to keep me occupied for now.

Page 4 of 38 (760 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS