No NEW Journals - why not?

Page 8 of 36 (701 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 700 Replies | 24 Followers

Posts 2293
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 27 2017 9:16 AM

Denise:
Bet, you're right.

And you know Denise the thing that stings the most is I put my trust in FL and the stool was kicked from under me/us. FL has to rebuild trust in this area before they attract my dollars. Once bitten twice shy. And Everett, your analysis has always been spot on.

So far what I've seen is what one of my favorite pastors called MOTS "more of the same" a sure sign you will not see a different outcome.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 10035
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 27 2017 9:28 AM

Well, Beloved, I thought you might enjoy 'deja vu'.

1. Libby has just been replaced. Logos4 is brand-new, missing some Libby-features, but excitement in the air.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/7217.aspx?PageIndex=1 

2. Time has passed. Logos5 is approaching (the version that Logos nailed). Journalistas are starting to smell rotton eggs:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/51922.aspx?PageIndex=1 

Of course, after that came the collections, dreamy promises, etc.

Then (I added), some more sabre rattling, followed by Phil calming the waters:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/136193/917476.aspx#917476 

Of, course, after that was the March 2017 updates (this thread includes).

Now, the sabres are out again.  Sabre rattling seems the key.

Posts 2293
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 27 2017 9:53 AM

If it weren't so ghastly it would be funny!Angry

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1804
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 27 2017 11:49 AM

David Paul:

If I pick up any of the couple of dozen books within reach, very FEW of the TJL titles will be listed in the bibliographies. On the other hand, I keep seeing the same dozen or so journals referenced AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN...

• Vetus Testamentum
  • Novum Testamentum (Also frequently referenced is the Supplements of these)
  • Catholic Bible Quarterly
  • Harvard Theological Review
  • Interpretation: Journal of Bible and Theology
  • OLDER issues of Journal of Biblical Literature
  • Hebrew Union College Annual
  • Oxford-related journals
  • and, yes, JETS.

My point in posting, again, is that while some folks my be content with generic journals, I want journals that are being referenced by the resources I have in my library. Time and time and time again, I DON'T have these journals because the ones most quoted are not available in Logos. WHY IS THIS THE CASE? Just get them already. I am more likely to buy the journals being referenced in my library than other random journals I am only familiar with because Logos offers them. Please become relevant. Please sell what is relevant. Frankly, what I'd like to see is Logos do a database crawl and offer journals IN ORDER OF THE NUMBER OF REFERENCES MADE IN THE LOGOS CATALOG. This should be the criterion that sets the marching orders for those working on this.

These are high on our wishlist. Last time we investigated, many of them were unavailable to license. We'll check again and see if anything has changed.

Posts 1930
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 27 2017 12:33 PM

Phil

What is the plan?

1. How many journals do you have currently licensed and available for sale individually today?  How many are on sale in bundles today?  Can you link to them here please?

2.  Which journals did you sell in the past which are no longer licensed currently in FL and of them, which are you striving to license in the future?

3.  There are so many journals.  What is the thinking of FL on how to sell them (those that you currently have licensed, but are not yet on sale)

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 27 2017 1:25 PM

Hi everyone, 

I'm not an MVP or a Faithlife employee but I'm very uncomfortable with some of the posts here. I wonder if this discussion has gone on for long enough. I understand the need to vent but if we keep attacking and targeting the employees from Faithlife who are brave enough to stick their heads above the parapet, honest enough to admit mistakes and humble enough to apologise they'll hardly want to return to engage with us. We're right to want to hold this company which has Christian values accountable but we need to remember the rule of love ourselves. 

I too am disappointed in how things have worked out with journals. For many years they were almost all that I owned in Logos and I used them extensively, looking forward to the annual update (though people complained back then too that they weren't coming quickly enough - perhaps our glasses are a little rosy now). I've come to realise though that there is more to Logos than journals and I've reached the stage where I barely scratch the surface of the resources I have. 

Most people at university or seminary probably have access to online journals such as atla but they are unlikely to have access to a library as rich and varied as that offered by Logos. So I am thankful for what I have, hopeful that updates will be available but doubtful of the value of further venting or aggression in this thread. 

Colin.  

Posts 1804
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 27 2017 1:26 PM

Everett Headley:

Beloved:

Parting with Galaxie was a gross error. And, as far as I'm concerned the only person who can put this thing right is Bob. He must see this as mission critical.

Exactly.  The vaguery of the comments by Mike and Phil do nothing to assuage our frustration regarding this issue.  Specifics on journals and timetables would be helpful.  Considering how much of a fiasco this is, over communication should be the standard at this point. 

We'll provide concrete details as soon as we have them. We've responded to acknowledge that we've seen the discussion and let you know we're working on it. We're trying to avoid sharing details that aren't yet final.

Mike and team are close on the list of journal volumes we can update. As soon as we feel confident with it, we'll share the details. A couple of licensing conversations need to happen when team members are back in the office. I hope to have clarity on that front by early next week.

Bringing a good resolution to this is our top priority.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 27 2017 7:16 PM

David Paul:

Confused

Ironic coming from you. Still agitating for the return of L3's notes?   Confused

The firings are still a thing that bothers me. I have spent maybe 300$ (probably less than that actually) that i hadn't already agreed to pay since that happened. The year prior I spent like 6 or 7k?

Any way, I'll check back in a year or so. Adios till something breaks again.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 8:41 AM

Colin:

I'm not an MVP or a Faithlife employee but I'm very uncomfortable with some of the posts here. I wonder if this discussion has gone on for long enough. I understand the need to vent but if we keep attacking and targeting the employees from Faithlife who are brave enough to stick their heads above the parapet, honest enough to admit mistakes and humble enough to apologise they'll hardly want to return to engage with us. We're right to want to hold this company which has Christian values accountable but we need to remember the rule of love ourselves. 

Colin, this discussion has lingered for years.  It has done so because of the numerous promises and implications made directly by Logos representatives.  Those promises have gone unfilled, multiple times.  You may be uncomfortable, but there needs to be accountability for what has taken place.  They have an obligation to return and engage with us.  We have paid for software and liscineing with the agreement that more is coming.  Yet that has not happened.  This breach of verbal contract is simply not acceptable.  At no point in this recent conversation has any Logos user not acted in accordance with the rule of love.  Accountability is usually not warm and fuzzy.  That does not mean that it is hateful and mean-spirited.  If we did not want Logos to succeed we would have given up YEARS ago and pointed our money to some other software.  What simply needs to happen is for Logos to clearly, timely, and completely communicate with us about the status of the journals promised to us.

(Frankly, I grow weary of posts like this when we hold Logos accountable.  This is how we are to air this grievances about Logos, per Logos.  I have yet to see why this is wrong or uncomfortable in some eyes. No one has stepped out of bounds, allow us to have this dialogue.)

Posts 1804
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 8:56 AM

Mark:

What is the plan?

1. Finalize the list of journals we have a license to update and the volumes we're missing.
  2. Build out version-3 collections of our four journal bundles (i.e., Master, Academic, Theology, and TJL) by adding the missing journal volumes.
  3. Review the dynamic prices when coming from the version 1 and version 2 collections to make sure they're in line with customer expectations.
  4. Explore ways of licensing the TJL journals we're still missing (done in parallel with steps 1–3).
  5. Post the new bundles for pre-order.

Mark:

1. How many journals do you have currently licensed and available for sale individually today?

I assume by individually you mean at the individual journal level, not at the individual issue or volume level, right? The closest we have to this is our academic journals facet, which shows 502 results. But it includes individual issues and volumes as well as all the bundles. It also includes three Pre-Pubs and one Community Pricing product. Short answer: I don't have the definitive list readily available, but I could track it down if it would be helpful.

Mark:

How many are on sale in bundles today? Can you link to them here please?

Over 2,000 volumes from 66 journals (including some magazines) are available in Master Journal Bundle 2.1 (2,000+ vols.). Subsets of those 2,000 are available in these three bundles:

1. Academic Journal Bundle 2.1 (500+ vols.)
  2. TJL Upgrade Bundle 2.1 (550+ vols.)
  3. Theology Journal Bundle 2.1 (1,000+ vols.) (includes everything in TJL Upgrade Bundle 2.1)

Mark:

2.  Which journals did you sell in the past which are no longer licensed currently in FL and of them, which are you striving to license in the future?

1. Bible and Spade (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  2. Central Bible Quarterly (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2012–2016)
  3. Christian Apologetics Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2012–2014)
  4. Emmaus Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2011–2012)
  5. Faith and Mission (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2007–2008)
  6. Global Journal of Classical Theology (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2012–2017)
  7. Grace Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  8. Grace Theological Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  9. Journal for Baptist Theology & Ministry (new to Galaxie; we've never sold this)
  10. Journal of Christian Apologetics (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  11. Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (we no longer sell)
  12. Journal of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies (new to Galaxie; we've never sold this)
  13. Masters Seminary Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  14. Michigan Theological Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  15. Reformation and Revival (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  16. Reformed Baptist Theological Review (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2011)
  17. Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal (new to Galaxie; we've never sold this)
  18. Review and Expositor (we still sell, but can't bundle; Galaxie no longer sells this?)
  19. Southeastern Theological Review (we no longer sell this; we're missing 2012–2016)
  20. Trinity Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)

Our plan is to license as many of these as we can.

Note: "Up to date" means compared to Galaxie, not compared to the available issues.

Mark:

3.  There are so many journals. What is the thinking of FL on how to sell them (those that you currently have licensed, but are not yet on sale)

We'll sell them in the four bundles listed above and as individual journals (with dynamic pricing enabled). Sometimes our rights don't allow us to bundle. We're happy to explore other bundles where the current four don't meet our customers needs. We're open to other suggestions as well.

Posts 512
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 9:22 AM

Phil,

Did we lose EX AUDITU? I was really looking forward to future volumes.

Posts 3112
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 9:31 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Mark:

2. Central Bible Quarterly (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2012–2016)
  3. Christian Apologetics Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2012–2014)
  6. Global Journal of Classical Theology (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2012–2017)
  8. Grace Theological Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  9. Journal for Baptist Theology & Ministry (new to Galaxie; we've never sold this)
  10. Journal of Christian Apologetics (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  12. Journal of the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies (new to Galaxie; we've never sold this)
  13. Masters Seminary Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  14. Michigan Theological Journal (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're up to date)
  16. Reformed Baptist Theological Review (we still sell, but can't bundle; we're missing 2011)
  17. Reformed Presbyterian Theological Journal (new to Galaxie; we've never sold this)
  18. Review and Expositor (we still sell, but can't bundle; Galaxie no longer sells this?)
  19. Southeastern Theological Review (we no longer sell this; we're missing 2012–2016)

1) Will you be able to get JETS back?

2) Masters Seminary Journal is not even close to being up to date.  You sell up to volume 18 and they are currently on volume 28

Posts 512
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 9:45 AM

Masters Seminary decided not to continue with Galaxie quite a few years ago. As far as I know nobody has any newer volumes than what we already have. MacArthur has his sermons and most of his books in Logos, so maybe they will change their position on this.

Remember Galaxie was only charging 50.00 for 50 volumes that's only one dollar per year per journal. When I talked to the person in charge of the journals some years ago he said it wasn't really worth it for so little income, and besides that, they already were putting them up for free on their website.

But I would hope we could get JETS since Galaxie has them right up to 2016

Posts 1930
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 9:50 AM

Thank you, Phil for the detailed reply.  I hope it helps others.  I have the Masters 2.1.

"Isreal my Glory" is not on your list.  Wasn't it sold in the original TJL from Galaxie?  Is there a possibility of getting this back?

On the list of journals you no longer are licensed to sell...when you say you are up to date, what exactly does that mean?  None of the journals that I am aware of are up to date meaning 2017. 

Posts 2293
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 10:01 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Mark:

What is the plan?

1. Finalize the list of journals we have a license to update and the volumes we're missing.
  2. Build out version-3 collections of our four journal bundles (i.e., Master, Academic, Theology, and TJL) by adding the missing journal volumes.
  3. Review the dynamic prices when coming from the version 1 and version 2 collections to make sure they're in line with customer expectations.
  4. Explore ways of licensing the TJL journals we're still missing (done in parallel with steps 1–3).
  5. Post the new bundles for pre-order.

What I think that is missing in this plan is a focused commitment to adding value to our libraries by adding journals that are most frequently cited by our resources as David Paul has advocated for. I emphasize this as I have moved my journals to a competitor and if I can't have my favorite journal JETS on Logos the only thing that would entice me back is something akin to what I have outlined.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Mark:

Which journals did you sell in the past which are no longer licensed currently in FL and of them, which are you striving to license in the future?

As noted above JETS is a favorite of mine it and Bible and Spade are deal breakers. Focus your efforts on including affordable ways of including these in your resource offerings. Thanks for your update and the details you offer it is a necessary effort in repairing the breach of past failings please continue until you roll out your new package of resources. 

Posts 775
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 10:09 AM

Everett Headley:
No one has stepped out of bounds

Sorry, Everett, but I disagree.  While most are able to engage in a respectful dialogue, a few emit a decidedly Veruca Salt - ish odor (and not just here but throughout the forums).

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 1804
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 11:50 AM

Bobby Terhune:

Did we lose EX AUDITU? I was really looking forward to future volumes.

Yes. We had to pull it out of the journal bundles earlier this year due to rights issues.

Posts 1804
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 11:52 AM

Mattillo:
1) Will you be able to get JETS back?

It's at the top of our list of TJL journals to get.

Mattillo:
2) Masters Seminary Journal is not even close to being up to date.  You sell up to volume 18 and they are currently on volume 28

"Up to date" in my notes meant compared to Galaxie, not compared to the available issues.

Posts 1804
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 11:54 AM

Mark:
"Isreal my Glory" is not on your list.  Wasn't it sold in the original TJL from Galaxie?  Is there a possibility of getting this back?

Maybe. My memory is fuzzy on that. I'll have to investigate.

Mark:
On the list of journals you no longer are licensed to sell...when you say you are up to date, what exactly does that mean?  None of the journals that I am aware of are up to date meaning 2017. 

Sorry. I should have been clearer. "Up to date" in my notes meant compared to Galaxie, not compared to the available issues.

Posts 1930
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 28 2017 2:17 PM

Thank you again, Phil.  I am fuzzy on "Israel my glory" as well.  I thought it was sold part of Galaxie package.  I see they do not have it right now.  Is there a chance of getting that in Logos?

Thanks too for clearing up what up to date means.

Page 8 of 36 (701 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS