Search on women

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 20
Manuel Mena | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 15 2017 2:11 PM

Hello, everyone!

I can't figure out for the life of me how to search the Bible in Logos for things said to or about women. I know I can do a search for the word "woman" or use some kind of wildcard (wom?n) and the like, but can't figure the syntax things like:

• Talking TO a woman/women
  • Talking ABOUT a woman/women
  • A woman talking/doing (SHE does/did X thing)

I guess I'm not as smart as I thought. Any help with searching the Bible with syntax that can find these things would have made my life easier this whole week. Thanks in advance.

God bless,
Manny

Posts 800
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 2:27 PM

You could start by entering the following into the search panel on the bible search tab: <Person A Woman>

This would give you a good start by giving you every verse that has something to do with women in the bible who are not named.  The problem is it won't give you the verses with biblical women that are named (ex. Sarah or Hannah).  When I did the search in the NRSV I got 1,206 results in 544 verses.

Posts 800
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 2:36 PM

Also, do you have the Bible Browser in your Tools menu? You would have it if you have the Extended Feature Set, or if you subscribe to Logos Now or Logos Cloud.  If you just have the Full Feature Set you won't have it.  That looks like an easier way to just explore the bible data even though there is no way to get everything you're looking for all at once with the Bible Browser.

Posts 20
Manuel Mena | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 3:09 PM

Thanks for the tip, Kiyah. I tried <Person A Woman> and can see this could be a good start. Made me realize that I would like to know how to narrow it down something like "God talking to/about woman/women" or "Jesus talking to/about woman/women" in specific. I didn't think about that when I first posted this question. Would you know how I could narrow it down in that sense?

Unfortunately, I just got the L7 Basic features just yesterday and do not have Bible Browser. I figured if I had L6 still there would be a way to use search to find this kind of info, maybe?

Thanks for any other tip you provide in helping me. Much appreciated.

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 3:17 PM

With the above caveats about your Library and limitations of <Person A Woman>:-

Manuel Mena:
Talking TO a woman/women

Try  {Addressee <Person A Woman>}  

Manuel Mena:
A woman talking

Try {Speaker <Person A Woman>}

Manuel Mena:
Talking ABOUT a woman/women

Manuel Mena:
A woman ...doing (SHE does/did X thing)

In Clause Search:

Try subject-sense:woman

Try agent:A Woman or some other role under Semantic Roles in the inline Search Help

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 800
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 3:43 PM

I don't think he will be able to do a speaker/addressee search or clause search with just Logos Basic though.  It looks like he can to Biblical People searches though, so the <Person A Woman> search should work.

Posts 20
Manuel Mena | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 3:46 PM

Thank you. I think that will be very helpful indeed. I will try these tonight.

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 3:47 PM

Manuel Mena:
Unfortunately, I just got the L7 Basic features just yesterday and do not have Bible Browser. I figured if I had L6 still there would be a way to use search to find this kind of info, maybe?

You can still use your Logos 6 features for a <Person> search and you may also have Clause Search. So stay with Logos 7!

Manuel Mena:
I would like to know how to narrow it down something like "God talking to/about woman/women"

{Addressee <Person A Woman>} WITHIN  {Speaker <Person God>} --> which requires Logos 7 Starter Feature Set.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 20
Manuel Mena | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 3:47 PM

I should be able to because I've had logos 6 full features. All I did was add on the logos 7 basic features but was told I can still do everything my Logos 6 full can do.

Posts 800
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 4:50 PM

Yes that's right. I had missed the part where you said you had Logos 6. Dave just taught me a few things too. Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2017 5:13 PM

Dave Hooton:
{Addressee <Person A Woman>} WITHIN  {Speaker <Person God>} --> which requires Logos 7 Starter Feature Set.

Expanded search:

({Addressee <Person A Woman>} WITHIN  {Speaker <Person God>}) OR ({Addressee <Person A Woman>} WITHIN  {Speaker <Person Jesus>})

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 20
Manuel Mena | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 6:26 PM

All these are very helpful. I even went ahead and upgraded to the L7 Starter Feature set to make it easier on the searching. Thank you all for you help and support!

God bless!!

Manny

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS