Westminster Bible Companion: First and Second Corinthians NOW IN PRE-PUB

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4408
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 17 2017 8:59 AM

Westminster Bible Companion: First and Second Corinthians

The final volume for this great series is finally available... Lets get it under contract ASAP.

-Dan

Posts 66
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 9:17 AM

Done. Thanks for posting.

Posts 4408
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2017 11:02 AM

BUMP!!!

Posts 3671
Disciple of Christ (doc) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2017 3:07 PM

Done and BUMP!

Posts 4408
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 3:30 PM

BUMP

Posts 4408
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 21 2017 10:17 AM

Below is a review picked up off of GoodReads. She gave it 5 stars and offers some of her favourite quotes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What Christians do must be shaped by what God has done for us. Our living should be a response to the life of Christ within. 

This bible study is based on the bible alone. Scripture alone is what I appreciated as I went thru both books. Given a short scripture reading followed by the context of what was written was refreshing. I love that when a bible study is done that way. It is not based on the culture, but just the opposite. In doing so, it is reflection for all generations that gives hope. Being true to scripture also gives the reader an appreciation for the work of Christ and how Christ used the Apostle Paul in building up the church. The warnings for the church and reason behind the warnings. Despite popular belief, Paul was a very humble man, humbled by the work of Christ that he desires to pass on to the church of Christ. The strength of unity in the body of Christ. The unity based on the work of Christ and not for unity sake. 

Some of my favorite quotes are as follows.

• The church does not belong to its members, its mentors, or its missionaries. The more surely we know this, the more truly we shall serve. As so often in Scripture, this thought should give God's people both humility and confidence. Confidence comes form belonging to God, in Christ. Humility is needed, because nothing apart from God can give us true security or status. 
  •  
  • We cannot fulfill that calling if we hide away from people whose lifestyles offend.
  •  
  • Paul did not want Christians to use an unreliable judicial system against each other.
  •  
  • Our bodies are a venue for the Spirit to occupy. So a Christian's body is sacred space and is not to be treated carelessly or casually.
  •  
  • Christian life is lived in relationship. Love binds Christians to God, and this same love for God connects us to each other.
  •  
  • For we know in our living that forgives, the mending of damaged relationships, is neither easy nor cheap. Someone has to bridge the gap, handle the tension, and bear the pain if there is to be true reconciliation. God has done this for the world at the cross of Jesus.
  •  

The Corinthians was a body of believers that struggled with the same struggles that we do. Relationships and living Godly lives that separate us from the rest of the non believing world. We do not always get it right, but we have Jesus that did get it right for us. Our striving should be resting in his work. 

A Special Thank You to Westminister John Knox Press and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.

Posts 4408
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 21 2017 10:20 AM

Review from http://www.reform-magazine.co.uk/ :

Commentary on Corinthians

corinthiansFirst and Second Corinthians
John Proctor
Westminster John Knox Press
£15

This book is part of The Westminster Bible Companion Series, which is intended to help lay people “read the Bible more clearly and intelligently” and thus address the issues of daily life and be helped in their teaching ministry. Many of us look to books like this one for help as we prepare to lead worship, Bible study or take time for personal devotion.

As a lay preacher, I look to commentaries to, amongst other things: Give me facts about the context of the book and its writer and/or audience, provide themes and greater understanding of words or phrases, and provide pointers to aid my own reflections on the links with the 21st Century world in which we live and minister.

In John Proctor’s commentary, the introduction, with its information about Corinth in the First Century – its geography, social, religious and cultural context – is all one could hope for. The introduction to Second Corinthians draws the distinction between the two books. All of this is written in an easy and accessible style. By the end of the introductions, I was drawn into the story, ready and eager to read on and discover what the letters contain and how they might speak to us today.

The relatively short reflections relating to passages of varying length contain impressive amounts of information, e.g. the background to specific names, the shades of meaning of Greek words and theories relating to particular customs of the time. There are comments on Paul’s use of language and writing style to make his point. Mr Proctor suggests that Paul’s tone ranges from direct to challenging to personal and even to, on occasion, ironic. Again the writing is clear, dealing with the complex thinking of the letters but always making the important links with our world today.

This book certainly fulfills the series’ promise and would be an excellent place to start learning more about the letters to the Corinthians and what they say to us in our context. I am delighted to be able to add the book to my bookshelf as an additional resource in preparations for leading worship.

Val Morrison is a lay preacher and church elder serving in Doncaster. She is a former moderator of the United Reformed Church General Assembly.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.