Complaining about Logos

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2017 4:15 PM

Denise:

scooter, I think we're mixing up normal economics with souls economics.

In the former, you're probably right. But presuming the latter (essentially the book of Acts), Faithlife would maximize relative to the intermediate variable ... pastors' souls maximization. At that point problems occur ... quantity vs quality (two theologies, one 'go ye into the world, vs the righteous remnant pre-selected or not).

This sounds like gobbledegook (apologies to EastTN), but I suspect it's why the forum gets tangled up on pricing. What's the ultimate goal.

I understand what you are saying, Denise.  Gonna think about your theory + FL.

Posts 438
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2017 5:16 PM

Alan Harris:

If all I had to go by was the string of complaints I read I would wonder if there were any Christians using the software at all.

Pastor Alan Harris

It's a sad reality there will on occasion be complaints or contributions to the forum we do not like. This will be so whether Christians or non-Christians are writing. When people are frustrated, angry or worried and this comes across in what they write, surely these are times when we need to give them some space to express themselves? Some of their 'vibrant' language or expressions may even give life and vigor to the forums. Certainly, an angry person may overstep and begin to abuse, but in my reading of many posts over a long time, that is really a very small minority. In fact, most times over the years, I've seen people treating each other with courtesy and many times seen heroic patience beeing shown in solving problems.

One interesting thing about the forum is the number of times issues raised (even in complaints) have been translated by Faithlife into adjustments or improvements to the software, the supply of new resources, changes in webpages, alterations in marketing direction and so on. Faithlife has demonstrated that it listens to its customers especially those who complain. In other words, there is value in the "complaints" for Faithlife as a business and ourselves as users.   

You raise a good point and quote a relevant Scripture as to how Christians should treat each other and people generally. Yet in many churches people are not taught or encouraged to raise issues that concern them ('complaints') about the conduct of services, sermons, the behavior of elders, ministers and so on. To be silent despite discontent is often seen as a virtue, but most often it solves nothing. What an excellent thing it would be if such churches were courageous enough to create a forum where people could openly express themselves (even sometimes badly) and church management take notice. Faithlife is a business, but perhaps it may have something to teach churches today in sensitively addressing their customer/member issues.

In your post you mention that you work at a full time job so you can do your pastoral ministry. You should be applauded for your 'tent making' life, like the apostle Paul. It cannot be easy for you. As an ordinary worker, I have great respect for ministers who take that path. May you and those you minister receive an abundant blessing for what you are doing.  Take care  Paul     

Posts 1029
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2017 6:24 PM

Denise:

Now, EastTN (just helping the OP get as many views as possible). Believe it (or not), I've worked on the analytics for most of your examples (competitor research). But let's ignore that. Because: Gospel economics is a maximize function. Not an optimize function. Now, some will argue quality (optimize) over quantity (maximize). But if you read your NT (OT was optimizing), you'll note the principle of maximize (quantity). Souls. Sitting around trying for high-quality souls was never the goal. And for good reason. The end was at hand.

This, I believe, is where Logosians get mixed up. Faithlife is an optimizing company. Bucks, not souls. Imagine, if they priced books as their competitors (OT, BigA, etc), and then literally charged for the features at full cost. Pastors could buy inexpensively  as needed. And feature-itus people would be faced with the obvious; value?

Denise, I think what you're saying is that FaithLife is a business, not a church. Hence "bucks, not souls." Absolutely! And by saying that, I don't mean that they're evil or unethical - just that they're in business to make money. Does Bob want to make money in a way that can help the church, and is consistent with a Christian life? I believe so.  But still - it's how he makes a living. So, yeah - at least one primary goal is "bucks."  It's a business.  And businesses can choose different market strategies.

And that's o.k. If a competitor chooses a strategy that clearly serves the market far better, FaithLife will have to adapt or die.

P.S.

Thanks for the stimulating conversation!

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:09 AM

I have not read from anyone that there is no place for legitimate complaints. 

I have read a reminder to watch for inordinate, disproportionate, and excessively and frequently aggressive complaints.

I have also read in the text, but more importantly in the subtext of this thread, concerns about how fellow customers communicate among themselves on the forum.

I have come to one inescapable conclusion: it is time for all of us to head straight for the nearest mirror, look in our own eyes without flinching, and chant "I am right... I am right... I am right".

Emphasis on "I". "Because," as L'Oréal puts it "I deserve it". 

Posts 377
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 9:37 AM

Thank you, Alan, for your comments, and everyone, for a really great discussion. These forums are for Logos users to encourage and educate each other, and I appreciate the overall tone of this debate. 

There have been a couple of posts, however, which border on personal insult. People can have strong feelings about Faithlife--good, bad, and sometimes both at the same time--but let's remember to respect each other even when we disagree. 

And on behalf of the company: Thank you for your complaints. No, seriously. Honest, constructive criticism from our users is something we highly value at Faithlife. Of course, it's always encouraging for us to hear how the things we make have a positive impact on your work and lives, too. Keep them both coming! 

--Adam 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 67
Barron1961 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 1:08 PM

scooter:

Denise:

some will argue quality (optimize) over quantity (maximize). But if you read your NT (OT was optimizing), you'll note the principle of maximize (quantity). Souls. Sitting around trying for high-quality souls was never the goal. And for good reason. The end was at hand.

This, I believe, is where Logosians get mixed up. Faithlife is an optimizing company. Bucks, not souls. Imagine, if they priced books as their competitors (OT, BigA, etc), and then literally charged for the features at full cost. Pastors could buy inexpensively  as needed. And feature-itus people would be faced with the obvious; value?

Is not FL, then, a maximizing company,  maximizing bucks by their robust prices? As they see it.  If I read U right, an optimizing FL would have lower prices + more customers.

scooter, whether or not FL is maximizing their profits by their high prices really depends upon their distribution of their products. Some Bible study software is optimized for use by the general public and can be purchased through outlets like Christian bookstores and Amazon which means they can sell it for less because of such high distribut ion. FL, OTOH, dowes not distribute that way. Logos is a more specialized product with features that are optimized for pastors and Bible teachers. There target customers are not as many in number as say the customer base of a program like QuickVerse that can be purchased in more places by more people. However, FL must still pay for all of the same things that other software companies must pay, like software engineers, sales and marketing and the plethora of other expenses to run a company.

I would say that based on who they are marketing to, FL has a very reasonable price for what their software will do. I think I paid only $356 for the LOGOS 7 software. The rest of my expenses have been tied up in books that are very reasonably priced considering how much effort it must take to make them all completely searchable And linked to each other via the software engine.

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS