Hebrew Corresponding Words Broken for BHS

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 22
Ethan K | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 21 2017 4:00 AM

When I use the corresponding words tool (where you click a word and it automatically highlights words with the same lemma), it will highlight any word with common prefixes/suffixes as well (ל, ב, ו, etc.). For example, if I click וְהָאָרֶץ in Gen. 1:2, it will also highlight וָבֹהוּ and וְחֹשֶׁךְ because they have the prefixed ו. As far as I am aware, this is only an issue using BHS from the SESB set, the highlighting works as intended for LHB. Is it possible that this feature could be fixed, especially seeing that BHS is the more scholarly/expensive of the two? 

Many thanks,

Ethan

Posts 2997
LogosEmployee
Tommy Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 11:27 AM

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for posting. What version of the resource are you using? Can you click the i icon in the top right, scroll to the bottom and copy/paste the content under "Support info?" What sub setting for Corresponding Words do you have selected? Can you post a screenshot of the behavior in action?

Posts 22
Ethan K | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 8:42 AM

Hi Tommy,

So there are actually 3 editions of BHS in my library that seem to have come with the SESB bundle, all of which are having issues. I'll post the product info and a screenshot for all three. In each of them I have clicked והארץ in Genesis 1:2. 

Before doing that though, here is a screenshot of LHB with corresponding words working as it's supposed to—highlights והארץ will pull up other occurrences of ארץ with or without the article, conjunction, or other prefixes:

1) BHS: SESB 2.0 - This is the primary Hebrew Bible I use, as it has tagged morphology info for searching, is linked to the BHS text-critical apparatus, and has ketiv/qere included. Still, if I try the corresponding words feature, it highlights any prefixed prepositions or conjunctions as well.

Support Info: LLS:1.0.204; 2016-11-29T19:16:17Z; BHSSESB.logos4

2) BHS: SESB 2.0 - I also have another version with the same image and title (but different support info as shown below), however the morphology is incomplete and some things don't work. Basically, it is a broken, double version that I have for some reason and I just never open. When I try clicking the והארץ , it only highlights the ו at the beginning, not even the base word. 

Support Info: LLS:BHSSESB2; 
2006-12-16T00:22:51Z
; BHSSESB2.lbxlls

3) BHS: With Werkgroep Informatica - Lastly, I have a version that doesn't have the critical apparatus, but has the morphological data to use for syntax searches, etc. Although, I don't usually read from this since it doesn't have the apparatus or glosses, it too is having the same highlighting issue. 

Support Info: LLS:WIVUMORPH
; 2016-10-10T16:35:35Z
; WIVUMORPH.logos4

I hope this doesn't just make things more confusing. This is the best way I can think to explain it. 

Many thanks for the help!

-Ethan

Posts 2997
LogosEmployee
Tommy Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2017 12:07 PM

Hi Ethan,

Thank you for the thorough documentation. I've submitted a case with development about this, and linked this thread to it.

Posts 22
Ethan K | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2017 12:02 AM

Great, thank you Tommy!

-Ethan

Posts 15685
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2017 9:43 AM

Faithlife reply on 28 Nov 2016 => https://community.logos.com/forums/p/133389/867400.aspx#867400 includes hiding recommendation:

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
You are using a version of SESB that is missing a lot of tagging information. It is recommended that you hide the LLS:BHSSESB2 resource in favor of LLS:1.0.204, which is an updated version of the other resource.

Personally added Deprecated to older BHS SESB 2.0 resource:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 22
Ethan K | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2017 1:10 AM

Thanks,

That's a good idea, I'll edit the title on my as well. However it just seems odd to me that a "depreciated" version is still included with the same title and image. I wish Logos would either remove it or rename it by default to avoid confusion.

Cheers,

Ethan 

Posts 8279
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2017 3:36 AM

Ethan K:

Thanks,

That's a good idea, I'll edit the title on my as well.

I edited the title and short title to include "old". However, please add a tag of "deprecated" (not: "depreciated") in your library as well - if enough users will do so, this will show up automatically in the community tag field in the library and thus helps all users - maybe only one more tag is missing!

For the unmorphed so-called "Michigan-Clairmont-Westminster" edition of BHS, the community tag already shows:

Ethan K:
I wish Logos would either remove it or rename it by default to avoid confusion

Remove it?! People have paid for it and some would raise an absolute storm about Logos taking away something that rightfully belongs to them for many years now. Some may even have made notes, highlights etc. exactly in this version. It's not even clear that all who own the deprecated version have a license to the newer edition. 

And Logos typically does not rename resources (and might not even be allowed to, contractually) since the names are provided by the publisher - and should show up correctly when citing from a resource, however old and not-fully-functional it may be.

So people can tag it as deprecated and - if they don't want to see it in their library - hide the book. I keep mine just for test purposes and forum questions - but I don't read Hebrew anyway. 

Running Logos 7 latest (beta) version

Posts 22
Ethan K | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2017 5:25 AM

Haha, my mistake on the typo there. I just added the "deprecated" tag on my resource too for what it's worth.

I can see your point about people perhaps having highlights in that version and keeping it for that reason, fair enough. Still, I wish there had been some form of communication from Logos when I made my purchase about these two seemingly identical versions of BHS and how/why they function at different levels. I'm not a programmer so I don't know any of what goes on in making and updating these resources, but even having a small note somewhere in the descriptions of the resources seems like an option that would not be too difficult. Anyway, it's not a big deal, just odd to me more than anything else.

Cheers and thanks for your input, Ethan

Posts 847
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 3:29 PM

Ethan K:

Hi Tommy,

So there are actually 3 editions of BHS in my library that seem to have come with the SESB bundle, all of which are having issues. I'll post the product info and a screenshot for all three. In each of them I have clicked והארץ in Genesis 1:2

Before doing that though, here is a screenshot of LHB with corresponding words working as it's supposed to—highlights והארץ will pull up other occurrences of ארץ with or without the article, conjunction, or other prefixes:

1) BHS: SESB 2.0 - This is the primary Hebrew Bible I use, as it has tagged morphology info for searching, is linked to the BHS text-critical apparatus, and has ketiv/qere included. Still, if I try the corresponding words feature, it highlights any prefixed prepositions or conjunctions as well.

Support Info: LLS:1.0.204; 2016-11-29T19:16:17Z; BHSSESB.logos4

2) BHS: SESB 2.0 - I also have another version with the same image and title (but different support info as shown below), however the morphology is incomplete and some things don't work. Basically, it is a broken, double version that I have for some reason and I just never open. When I try clicking the והארץ , it only highlights the ו at the beginning, not even the base word. 

Support Info: LLS:BHSSESB2; 
2006-12-16T00:22:51Z
; BHSSESB2.lbxlls

3) BHS: With Werkgroep Informatica - Lastly, I have a version that doesn't have the critical apparatus, but has the morphological data to use for syntax searches, etc. Although, I don't usually read from this since it doesn't have the apparatus or glosses, it too is having the same highlighting issue. 

Support Info: LLS:WIVUMORPH
; 2016-10-10T16:35:35Z
; WIVUMORPH.logos4

I hope this doesn't just make things more confusing. This is the best way I can think to explain it. 

Many thanks for the help!

-Ethan

This should be fixed by a resource update that shipped today.

Posts 395
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 5:33 PM

Thank you, Philana, and the rest of your Team. I am VERY grateful to have the "corresponding words" work as intended in the SESB BHS:-)

Posts 22
Ethan K | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 3:04 AM

Awesome! Thank you so much for the fix, I really appreciate it as well! 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.