March Madness & Women Writers

Page 1 of 4 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 61 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 379
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 21 2017 11:45 AM

With March coming up, and the anticipated March Madness sale Logos puts on every year, I would like to make a suggestion.

I noticed last year that for the first time (at least as far as I know) the brackets included a couple women authors. It struck me at that point that the brackets had previously included only male writers. They were primarily pop Christian culture writers, but I was pleased nonetheless. However, I think a much better job could be done on this.

What about including in the brackets female authors who have contributed substantial works to theology and academia? I include the following names that come to my mind, but I invite others to post additional names.

Beverly Gaventa; Candida Moss; Lynn Cohick; Sandra Richter; Karen Jobe; Elizabeth Achtemeier; Jeannine K. Brown; Catherine of Siena; Teresa of Avila; Morna Hooker.

Personally, I think this is important as it recognizes that women (although not always given the opportunity) have contributed in substantive and meaningful ways to the life of the Church.

Posts 608
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 12:18 PM

I like this idea and I would support it with votes and dollars :-) 

Posts 649
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 12:36 PM

I'd vote for anyone who writes on good theology.

When will it start, March 1? Only 8 more days, yea!

Wouldn't it be great to have 100+ in the first round?

More important, wouldn't it be great to have every book for every author?

Dale Heath

Posts 267
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 12:51 PM

Jordan Litchfield:
What about including in the brackets female authors who have contributed substantial works to theology and academia?

This is a great suggestion!

YesYes

Posts 6154
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 12:58 PM

Jordan Litchfield:

Personally, I think this is important as it recognizes that women (although not always given the opportunity) have contributed in substantive and meaningful ways to the life of the Church.

Yes, having babies πŸ‘Ά πŸ‘ΆπŸ»πŸ‘ΆπŸΌπŸ‘ΆπŸ½πŸ‘ΆπŸΎπŸ‘ΆπŸΏπŸ˜ My vote 100% for Elyse Fitzpatrick also and Karen Jobes!

DAL

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 1:32 PM

Roger Dittmar:

Jordan Litchfield:
What about including in the brackets female authors who have contributed substantial works to theology and academia?

This is a great suggestion!

YesYes

Yes

Posts 510
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 2:00 PM

Jordan Litchfield:

Yes! Yes

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:13 PM

Jordan Litchfield:

That's the best March Madness suggestion I have heard in a long time. Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6154
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 4:46 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Jordan Litchfield:

It was suggested before and that's why some women appeared last year. I would love for Karen and Elyse to make it past, at least, the second round. πŸ‘

DAL

Posts 524
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 5:43 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Jordan Litchfield:

Agreed Yes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 1678
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 5:57 PM

Don't omit Loraine Boettner.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 2188
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 6:23 PM

Ellen White and Aimee Semple MacPerson come to my mind, although I personally wouldn't vote for either of them (but probably others would...)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 6154
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 6:27 PM
Jan Krohn:

Ellen White and Aimee Semple MacPerson come to my mind, although I personally wouldn't vote for either of them (but probably others would...)

I have some of their material as part of a larger bundle. I wouldn't vote for them either even if I didn't have any of their material. The little I have is not that great...almost useless I'd say. Just MHO DAL
Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 6:32 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Don't omit Loraine Boettner.

I assume that is a joke. Loraine Boettner is a man.

Posts 1678
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 6:46 PM

JH:
Loraine Boettner is a man.

Yeah. I think Bebe Warfield is, too. Big Smile

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 80
EX | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 7:04 PM
Meredith Kline!

PCA Church
L4 Platinum, L5 Reformed Platinum, L6 Reformed Diamond, Reformed Studies XL, Platinum, Logos Now

Posts 2200
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 9:41 PM

Dr. Kline was a man.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1073
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 21 2017 10:11 PM

One of the most stimulating things I've read in recent years is Katherine Sonderegger's Systematic Theology volume 1:

https://www.logos.com/product/53043/systematic-theology-volume-1-the-doctrine-of-god

Unfortunately it looks like this is the only title of hers in Logos, which would limit her as a March Madness choice. But I hope she produces the rest of the series soon and that it finds its way into Logos.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 233
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 12:51 AM

In addition to having women authors, I would like to suggest a format that would allow authors from different traditions to get further into the tournament.  Have authors from the same traditions go head to head in different brackets.  That would mean that there would be at least some from each tradition that would receive the higher discounts, and each tradition would have a better chance of getting to the final four.  I recognize that I left out the SDA authors.  This is illustrative only.  Perhaps two of the smaller traditions would be merged for the tournament.    

Posts 633
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2017 4:49 AM

I would love a chance to vote for Evelyn Underhill and get a discount on her collection.

Page 1 of 4 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS