I bought a used Surface Pro 3 finally.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 26 2017 3:01 PM

I bought a used Surface Pro 3 and put my old Surface Pro 1 up for sale under joshinri on Ebay.  

Anyone enjoying their Surface Pro 3 with Logos 7.x right now still?  Bill you still out there?

Do you put Logos on a card or use the card slot for anything?  I figured I would never afford the new Surface Pro 5 and Logos works well on a pc...so why not?  Comments, suggestions?  

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2017 4:40 PM

Hi Josh,

I'm still here. Smile

Congratulations on getting a Surface Pro 3. I think you'll find it runs cooler than your Surface Pro 1.

I have a Surface Pro 4 currently running Logos.

How big of SSD did you get? If at all possible, run Logos off of the internal SSD.

Posts 1825
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2017 10:40 PM

I'm interested in getting SP4..

Do you use it on pulpit? And how's Logos on it? slow..fast?

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2017 6:06 AM

I've been using an SP3 for quite some time now and it runs great.  I took the mid-range one with the larger memory cache and I installed it on the SSDs (no card).  It runs great.  My passage guide can take about 4-6 seconds to load but that is mostly my fault as I have greated numerous sub groups to search through as well.  When L7 came out I noticed a slight decrease in speed (~0.5-1.0 secs) but nothing to cry home about.  I don't have a massive library (~4000).

The only real performance issues I see is when I have too many visual filters enabled... it can get pretty slow if I have numerous bibles open with several visual filters each

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2017 6:40 AM

My experience running Logos on a Surface Pro 3 micro-SD card was horrible. It was way to slow so I reinstalled it the internal memory. Then when I got the SP4 I made sure to get a bigger storage built-in so that it would handle the load of three Bible apps with large libraries.

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2017 8:05 AM

I have used my Surface Pro 3 for two years now, and it still runs Logos great.  Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

My Surface Pro 3 has an i7 processor, 512 GB SSD, and 8GB ram.  I think 8 GB ram and plenty of room on the SSD are essential for best results.  This is my only computer, and I use it constantly.

I have not "babied" this machine at all, and it is pretty tough.  I take it everywhere.  The only cover I use is the keypad cover.  (I do use the newer keypad cover with fingerprint id that came out with the ipad 4.)  I have never had a laptop in which the battery was almost as good 2 years out as the day I bought it.  But this Surface Pro 3 battery is still pretty good.

I did not see any reason to upgrade when the Surface Pro 4 came out, as my Surface Pro 3 was more than meeting my needs.  I may consider the Surface Pro 5, when it comes out in a few months.  But probably not until it has been out for a while. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 370
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2017 12:29 PM

I have the Surface Pro 3 with 512gig on my SSD w/ 8 gig of RAM. It works great. I think that it is the best 2 in 1 on the market. But then that's just me.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 1825
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2017 4:05 PM

Would i7 make a huge jump from i5 when doing passage guides or searches?

Also when is SP5 coming? Should I wait?

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2017 6:15 PM

mike:

Would i7 make a huge jump from i5 when doing passage guides or searches?

Also when is SP5 coming? Should I wait?

I doubt it would make much of an appreciable difference. Many of us have the i5 and it performs more than adequately, generates less heat and has a little better battery life.

Posts 1825
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2017 10:25 PM

I'm afraid my Logos is too big for Surface Pro.. and I have other stuffs I want to put in other than just Logos 7.

Btw, how do I find how many gigs my Logos resources takes in my pc?

Thank you again.

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2017 11:06 PM

mike:

https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers shows where the files are stored so you just need to check the space that area takes up

Posts 370
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2017 5:58 AM

mike:

I'm afraid my Logos is too big for Surface Pro.. and I have other stuffs I want to put in other than just Logos 7.

Thank you again.

If you get on that has only 32 gigs that would be an issue. Personally, I wouldn't get one that had less than 256gigs. That way you will have plenty of room on the device. As I said earlier, I have 512 gigs for the SSD and I have more than enough room. My resources are about 6k (books not gigs) and it takes up about 38 gigs on my drive. 

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 8:38 AM

mike:

Thank you again.

Do you need more than 512 GB?  One can fill up any size drive, of course.  I have the 512 GB SSD in my Surface Pro, plus a 64GB mini card, and when that is not enough I have another 512 GB external usb drive.  But Logos always has priority on the SSD.

The new Surface Pro 5 is supposed to offer twice the storage of the 512 GB, but I doubt I would pay for such a drive.  I think 512 GB will be my limit.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1825
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 12:57 PM

If I have 512, then I would have filled close to half of it. :(

Not to mention 512 is priicey.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 6:02 PM

Bill...256 GB and 8 megs of Ram I think.  I am trying to sell my Surface Pro 1 on Ebay but so far no nibbles.  It is in great used shape too.  Joshinri is my username on ebay.  Thanks everyone for your replies.  I graduate in May with my Mdiv from Luther Rice.  Sure hope I can find a job as a pastor or associate pastor soon.  I am willing to travel anywhere within the domestic USA.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 6:35 PM

Josh,

My SP4 has the same RAM and SSD as yours. You should be able to install Logos directly on your SSD. You'll see great performance. Blessings on your search for a call.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 2:29 PM

thanks Bill.  Unfortunately noone bought my SP1 I5 with keyboard cover and pen on Ebay.

Pressing on in Jesus name,

jesussavedjoshua@gmail.com

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 23 2017 8:00 PM

I finally sold my SP1...Thanks be to God!

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 23 2017 8:31 PM

Josh,

I am glad to hear the news. I knew it was weighing on you. I trust you'll be happier with your experience in Logos on the SP3.

Posts 370
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 6:53 AM

JoshInRI:

I finally sold my SP1...Thanks be to God!

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS