What Tablet?

Page 4 of 5 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 84 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 6:06 PM

I have created an image of my Dell Venue 8 Pro's eMMC and tucked that away safely. I have a USB flash drive with Windows on it that the DV8P sees when accessing the boot menu on startup. When I select it, the tablet just boots to my desktop.Sad I had another USB drive that it wouldn't recognize at all from the boot menu. All settings in BIOS appear to allow booting from USB. Unfortunately, Augustine's idea to use the media creation tool to create the image on microSD didn't work. The media creation tool didn't see it.

Does the DV8P need to use a powered hub for this or a USB-C dock with power pass-through in order to initiate recovery?

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 9:42 PM

Are you attepting this from the "reset this PC" option?

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 26 2017 3:44 AM

Bill Anderson:

I have created an image of my Dell Venue 8 Pro's eMMC and tucked that away safely. I have a USB flash drive with Windows on it that the DV8P sees when accessing the boot menu on startup. When I select it, the tablet just boots to my desktop.Sad I had another USB drive that it wouldn't recognize at all from the boot menu. All settings in BIOS appear to allow booting from USB. Unfortunately, Augustine's idea to use the media creation tool to create the image on microSD didn't work. The media creation tool didn't see it.

Does the DV8P need to use a powered hub for this or a USB-C dock with power pass-through in order to initiate recovery?

Hi, Bill,

I found that I needed to reboot my 5855 a couple of times before it could "see" the USB flash drive and boot from it. 

Secondly, Macrium Reflect will allow you to create an image of your eMMC on microSD, with each partition available to be restored as needed. Macrium is free to try for 30 days. Then, you'll need to buy it if you like it and it works for you. It's a powerful piece of software.    

Thirdly, don't forget that the 5855 is not the same as Augustine's older DV8. What worked for him may or may not work for you. 

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 26 2017 7:21 AM

Paul, I am trying to boot to USB cold, by turning on the tablet, hitting Volume + when the Dell logo appears and selecting my drive from the one-time boot menu.

Mark, I'll keep trying, but that isn't reassuring. I don't want to wipe out partitions and such until I know I have a bootable medium.

Posts 35
Jeff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 26 2017 7:45 AM

Bill, it's very strange that the tool didn't see your SD card. I recall that it offered to install it there when it saw that my internal storage couldn't accommodate the image. Have you attempted selecting "Advanced Startup" in the Windows 10 settings? That should boot to a recovery mode that would then allow you to select the USB device to boot from. You shouldn't have to deal with the bios in order to boot from a USB drive.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 26 2017 7:55 AM

~

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 26 2017 6:04 PM

I now have a. bootable USB drive that works. I may sign up for a basic version of Logos to see how it runs on my existing setup before I blow everything away and try to install my 33.5 GB installation. I ran out of time this weekend to do it. Maybe next weekend when I have a big block of time. 

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 30 2017 5:06 PM

....and here I thought I was making progress by buying Surface Pro 3 finally.  Sigh.

Posts 2221
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 30 2017 5:44 PM

JoshInRI:

....and here I thought I was making progress by buying Surface Pro 3 finally.  Sigh.

I thought I was going to wind up with some svelte little powerhouse to run Logos. In the process, I've returned to my resurrected desktop PC. It runs Logos better than anything else I've got. Praise the Lord!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 30 2017 7:44 PM

JoshInRI:

Josh, you DID make progress buying a SP3. It is so much better than the Dell Venue 8 Pro performance wise.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 1:00 PM

I reintstalled Windows on my Dell Venue 8 Pro and installed Logos to the main drive. Everything ran better from the internal eMMC drive than from microSD, but alas, I only had something like 1GB left on the internal eMMC. I turns out I had miscalculated the amount of space my Logos setup took on disk. So, I had to revert to my previous setup. Macrium Reflect made it very easy to create a restore disk and then to restore my tablet from the backup image I had created.

Running Logos from microSD is my way forward.

Posts 2
Jaye Patricia Shipley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 3:12 PM

Colin, I also have back problems. In my case, I'm best sitting in my Ekornes recliner and I've essentially made the chair my office by setting small tables on either side and adding a wooden lapdesk on which to rest my laptop. When not in use, I set the laptop/lapdesk on the table to my left. My wireless mouse rests on the table to my right. I love this arrangement, especially with the larger screen my laptop offers. I do have an android tablet, but only use it for reading -- not study.

Posts 47
Cale Judd | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 3:40 PM

If you do use or buy a laptop, I highly recommend a solid state drive. Logos runs immensely better on an SSD. SSDs like to have substantial unused capacity and will slow considerably without it. I therefore suggest acquiring a drive with approximately twice the storage capacity you are currently using. If you're modifying an existing laptop, the free Macrium Reflect software makes it easy to clone your old HDD to an SSD. And if that's what you're doing, you can easily determine which Crucial SSDs are compatible with your machine at http://www.crucial.com/. Crucial is the brand name Micron uses for its after-market sales (a Crucial SSD is a Micron SSD). And you may very well find a Crucial drive you like at a better price from Amazon. I did. 

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 4:46 PM

Bill Anderson:
I only had something like 1GB left on the internal eMMC
Did you do a disk cleanup...remove previous Windows installations? That could easily recover 10+ GB

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 4:50 PM

Paul C:

Bill Anderson:
I only had something like 1GB left on the internal eMMC
Did you do a disk cleanup...remove previous Windows installations? That could easily recover 10+ GB

Paul, before I installed Windows I deleted all partitions and I formatted the remaining partition to blow everything away. I didn't have anything left when I ran disk cleanup.Sad Free disk upon a fresh install was something like 57GB. Windows took up 16+GB. There's not much I could do when my Logos installation, which was 34.5GB but over 38GB on disk, tried to index.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 4:54 PM

OK ... You gave it your best . Sorry it didn't work for you.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 4:57 PM

Thanks, Logos runs fine on the microSD when it isn't indexing. The key is to time the updates.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 5:04 PM

Guess i'm blessed to have a smaller library, Just a shame they don't offer it with 128 GB. The venue 11 does... but it is not pocketable. I have one with an i5 ( 4300y) processor. Honestly , I can see little performance difference in the 2 machines

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 5:21 PM

Bill Anderson:

I reintstalled Windows on my Dell Venue 8 Pro and installed Logos to the main drive. Everything ran better from the internal eMMC drive than from microSD, but alas, I only had something like 1GB left on the internal eMMC. I turns out I had miscalculated the amount of space my Logos setup took on disk. So, I had to revert to my previous setup. Macrium Reflect made it very easy to create a restore disk and then to restore my tablet from the backup image I had created.

Running Logos from microSD is my way forward.

Hi, Bill,

I was out of touch as I wasn't feeling terribly well. Sorry that you went through all that trouble only to find that running Logos from eMMC wouldn't work for you. But it's great that you are satisfied with its performance from the microSD card. I'm glad that Macrium Reflect was a help for you. 

Having such a portable tablet that can run the desktop version of Logos is great. Too bad that Dell has apparently stopped making/selling the DV8 Pro. It's no longer on their site. I'll take good care of mine!  

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 5:35 PM

Mark Nolette:
Dell has apparently stopped making/selling the DV8 Pro. It's no longer on their site. I'll take good care of mine!
I didn't know that. I agree ! I think I will start using the 11 when portability isn't a must. I can't imagine not having my pocket rocket.

Page 4 of 5 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS