Revelation resources

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Nicholas Hatch | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 12 2017 7:41 PM

I'm working on a paper on Revelation 11 for school.  Help me save time.  What are your go to resources when studying Revelation? What resources have you found to be less useful?  Why?  I'm considering adding a few commentaries to help me beef up my library but don't want to throw money at the wrong things.  For what it's worth, I have not (as of yet) studied Biblical languages, and I come from a non-denominational (Restoration movement) background. I hope to dig into the best scholarship available that does not require me to have a full knowledge of Greek language conventions.

Any help is appreciated

God Bless,

Nick

Posts 104
pk47 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 12 2017 9:14 PM

Michael Gormans book "Reading Revelation Responsibly" is a great primer on understanding the various nuances and rescuing it from the "left behind" perspective.

G.k Beale commentary is widely considered the best out there.  Although you might wanna go for the shorter version; it's more concise and cheaper.

Hope that helps.

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 12 2017 10:08 PM

This is a list I compiled for my congregation. I'm currently preaching through Revelation. I hope this helps!

Audio/Video:

1. Shane Wood Revelation Lectures
    1. http://www.shanejwood.com/the-book-of-revelation/
  2. Ozark Christian College Next Level: Revelation
    1. http://occ.edu/series/revelation

Monographs:

1. Revelation’s Rhapsody: Listening to the Lyrics of the Lamb: How to Read the Book of Revelation by Robert Lowery
  2. Dragons, John, & Every Grain of Sand: Essays on the Book of Revelation by Shane J. Wood
  3. The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views by Robert G. Clouse
  4. Leaving the Rapture Behind by Larry Pechawer
  5. Behold, Jesus Is Coming!: Revelation by Kay Arthur & David Arthur
  6. The Last Days Are Here Again: A History of the End Times by Richard Kyle
  7. New Testament Theology: The Theology of the Book of Revelation by Richard Bauckham
  8. Between the Cross and the Throne: The Book of Revelation by Matthew Y. Emerson

Commentaries:

1. New International Greek Testament Commentary: The Book of Revelation by G.K. Beale
  2. New International Commentary on the New Testament: The Book of Revelation by Robert Mounce
  3. Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 52a: Revelation 1-5 by David Aune
  4. Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 52b: Revelation 6-16 by David Aune
  5. Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 52c: Revelation 17-22 by David Aune
  6. The Revelation to John: A Commentary on the Greek Text of the Apocalypse by Stephen Smalley
  7. More Than Conquerors: An Interpretation of the Book of Revelation by William Hendriksen
  8. Breaking the Code: Understanding the Book of Revelation by Bruce M. Metzger
  9. Revelation: A Commentary by Brian K. Blount

Historical Background:

1. The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia by W.M. Ramsay
  2. The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia in Their Local Setting by Colin J. Hemer
  3. IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament by Craig S. Keener

Reference Materials:

1. Dictionary of Biblical Imagery by Leland Ryken, James C. Wilhoit, & Tremper Longman III
  2. Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament by G.K. Beale & D.A. Carson

💻MacBook Pro (15-inch 2018) | 2.9 GHz i9 6 core | 32GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB Graphics | 1TB SSD💻
💾MacOS Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A4871)💾
🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
⌨Logos 7 Extended Feature Set⌨
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 12 2017 10:39 PM

One search idea is word(s) that intersect milestone of Revelation 11: e.g. temple

temple INTERSECTS {Milestone <Re11>}

Personally starting to add year prefix to commentary resource title. The UBS Handbook Series Old & New Testament Collection (55 vols.) offer translation insights across cultures without needing original language mastery.

Poor Man's has insights of Christ while being over 200 years old => Poor Man's Old and New Testament Commentary (12 vols.) 

By the way, my favorite feature is visual filter highlighting so can "see" range of Greek verbal expression in many Bibles. Logos wiki => Examples of visual filters

Screen shot has combination of many visual filters plus some Discourse Greek features.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 6219
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 2:58 AM

Not in Logos, but The Avenging of the Apostles and Prophets by Arthur Ogden is awesome and he's from the restoration movement too. The rest, the others have suggested great commentaries too.

BTW, look up Arthur Ogden's website. He's got lectures presenting the entire book of Revelation. There you will also find Homer Hailey's lectures on Revelation. Lots of material to download.

DAL

Posts 2240
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 3:58 AM

The few times I've looked at it, this one has been helpful:

https://www.logos.com/product/2271/revelation-four-views

(Maybe someone else can comment on it? I've not read sufficiently through it to make a clear suggestion for it.)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 22
Nicholas Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 12:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll start sorting through these to see what I can use.  I'm guilty of avoiding revelation because it can be both cumbersome and polarizing, so I'm a little shy on resources for good study on the text.

Posts 3110
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 1:25 PM

I tend to be of the premil type and I'd recommend MacArthur's Revelation commentary, An Exegetical Commentary by Robert Thomas, and What Lies ahead by J. B. Hixson.  I agree with an earlier poster on the 4 views book as it gives a good overview.  All of the previous mentioned books by me can be found in logos. 

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 2:43 PM

Jan Krohn:

The few times I've looked at it, this one has been helpful:

https://www.logos.com/product/2271/revelation-four-views

(Maybe someone else can comment on it? I've not read sufficiently through it to make a clear suggestion for it.)

Yes! This resource is great! I've used it when I taught through revelation. Gregg does a great job giving the 4 major views. Get this book. 

I'm also from the restoration family and would highly recommend Jim McGuiggan's commentary on Revelation. This is not in logos but you can get it in kindle and convert it or get it from Sunset International Bible Institute in e-sword format. 

Posts 3110
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 6:08 AM

Don't forget Zondervan's Four Views on the Book of Revelation

www.logos.com/product/16628/

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS