3/19/2010 Mystery Thingy

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 455
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 19 2010 7:22 AM

Uh, was their an update or something? I just got out of the shower and saw a growl notification saying something about what I thought was a 256mb download from Logos? Am I still waking up or was that for real. I never got an install screen but my computer has been on all night and it wasn't a start up download thing. Anyone else?

all about Christ,

David Buckham

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 7:37 AM

Maybe the reverse interlinears that go along with the latest PC beta?

Posts 102
Andrew Mercer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 7:38 AM

David Buckham:

.. download thing. Anyone else?

+1

Just started downloading for me as I logged on - it's 11.25 pm in Western Australia

Posts 5191
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 7:52 AM

me too - 15:00 in Scotland - still Sunny.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 7:56 AM

David Buckham:
Uh, was their an update or something?

I'm not running Growl so I don't know whether anything's been downloaded, but L4 has started indexing again. From the console messages it seems to be working on the ESV Reverse Interlinear, so it could be linked to the latest PC beta release ...

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 34
Mark Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:15 AM

I got the same notice when I started up L4 after reading the post.  This is what I saw being updated:

Creating new update for resource ID 'RVI:ESVNT', version '2010-03-16T18:22:38Z'.

Creating new update for resource ID 'RVI:ESVOT', version '2010-03-16T18:35:23Z'.

Creating new update for resource ID 'LLS:KJV1900', version '2010-03-18T20:00:42Z'.

Creating new update for resource ID 'RVI:KJV1900NT', version '2010-03-16T18:42:20Z'.

Creating new update for resource ID 'RVI:KJV1900OT', version '2010-03-16T18:55:32Z'.

Could be different for some I would guess depending on your Library.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:15 AM

There was certainly an update of something. Like Stephen I suspect resources, because I have the indexer running, showing 7 hours, but I've learned not to trust the time displaying. Pity we weren't told. I thought that Tom Philpot was hoping that Melissa Snyder might tell us when a resources update was due by posting here, so that we would know what to expect, like the PC folk get. (1 hour 13 minutes now! How time flies when you're enjoying yourself! Wink) (1 hour left to go already!)

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 12:45 PM

I know that at this stage it's not at the top of the priority list, but I hope that one day a feature will be added that lets users know what is being downloaded. Or better yet will make the download itself optional on a resource by resource basis.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 115
Tony Kissell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 2:03 PM

I  would love to see this feature, especially as here in New Zealand most broadband schemes have data caps on them and your speed is throttled back if you go over your limit.

It would be nice to be able to put off downloading a little used update until your monthly data allowance has turned over.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 2:24 PM

For now, couldn't you "Set Automatically Download Updates to No" when you're getting near your broadband cap? Then once you roll over, "Set Automatically Download Updates to Yes".

Granted, not the best solution, but at least workable to keep you from going over your cap.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 115
Tony Kissell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 3:29 PM

Good thinking!

This would be a work around but it would still be nice to be able to see what the updates are so I can make the decision as to whether or not to sacrifice my internet speed for an update that might be something I've been waiting for.

Or I could stop being such a miser and pay out for another monthly data block Wink

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Cameron Watters (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:29 AM

R. Mansfield:
Or better yet will make the download itself optional on a resource by resource basis.

This is non-trivial, since "resource" is a fuzzy term. For monographs, this probably wouldn't present a huge issue; if you don't have the latest version, your text is out of date. For things like the new reverse interlinears or the LCV or People/Places/Things, the resources and the feature are so closely tied to one another that not having the resource would substantially impact the functionality of the feature.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:38 AM

Cameron Watters:

R. Mansfield:
Or better yet will make the download itself optional on a resource by resource basis.

This is non-trivial, since "resource" is a fuzzy term. For monographs, this probably wouldn't present a huge issue; if you don't have the latest version, your text is out of date. For things like the new reverse interlinears or the LCV or People/Places/Things, the resources and the feature are so closely tied to one another that not having the resource would substantially impact the functionality of the feature.

I understand that, and I've still got my preferences set for automatic download. But Logos 4/Mac is the ONLY program on my system that doesn't alert me to the contents of the download and give me the option to accept it or not. I mean there can be bugs in OS X and an update might make my system run better, but the dialogue box for a new release still appears and informs me as to what is being released and what bug fixes or new features are in place. Logos 4/Mac is also the only program on my Mac that doesn't ask permission to appear in my menu bar. To me this should be an option in preferences as well. I'd probably leave it since it's not there at all times, but the option would be nice. These aren't dealbreaker issues, mind you; it's not going to keep me from using the program. But it is behavior from the application that is non-standard.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 455
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:46 AM

R Mansfield,

For what it's worth, Google Chrome (I am using the Dev version) doesn't alert me to downloads, in fact it doesn't even tell me it download anything, it just does it in the background. From what I have read, many cloud based systems are going this way. Logos is somewhat cloud based, so the non-described download makes some sort of sense, at least from that stand point.

all about Christ,

David Buckham

all about Christ,

David Buckham

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:51 AM

It is a major paradigm shift from L3, for those of us with fast, unlimited Internet access it isn't much of a problem. Unfortunately not everyone has that luxury. I'm not sure how, but I suspect that Logos will have to make some provision for those users.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:54 AM

Here's a response in the in PC Beta forums from Bradley Grainger:

Bradley Grainger:

In order to enable new "full screen" (LDLS3-style) reverse interlinear functionality, 4.0c Beta 1 will download ~400MB of updated resources. (This will probably be increased in Beta 2 to ~1.2GB.)

To avoid this, set "Automatically download updates" to "No" (you will keep the reverse interlinear functionality you already have) or check your update channel (http://community.logos.com/forums/p/13654/105414.aspx#105414) and opt out of the beta programme.

What this means for Mac users is that you'll get the 1.2 GB update when 4.0c Beta 2 is released if you have Automatically download updates set to Yes. I've asked our Windows team to let us know when they intend to push this out so we can let the Mac users know. Then you can turn updates off as appropriate.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:56 AM

David Buckham:
For what it's worth, Google Chrome (I am using the Dev version) doesn't alert me to downloads, in fact it doesn't even tell me it download anything, it just does it in the background. From what I have read, many cloud based systems are going this way. Logos is somewhat cloud based, so the non-described download makes some sort of sense, at least from that stand point.

But Logos 4 isn't a pure cloud based system, right? There's an application, 1731 individual library titles, and a host of other files resident on my MacBook Pro. Granted, the Logos 4 seems to have more connections to the internet than many applications, but it's not the same as using something like Google Docs which is purely cloud based.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 455
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:04 AM

R. Mansfield:
But Logos 4 isn't a pure cloud based system, right?

You're absolutely right, Logos is not purely cloud based. I said it was "somewhat" cloud based. We at least know we are downloading something. I am just saying, that as technology progresses toward a more cloud based format (Logos appears to be in transition or position to transition when the time comes) download information will become irrelevant. I would expect an OS, for instance, to tell me of system updates, but an application, I don't know if it's that important to know. Just my thoughts on it. You don't have to agree with me.

all about Christ,

David Buckham

all about Christ,

David Buckham

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:27 AM

Again, none of this is a huge issue for me. But back to the earlier topic, it would be nice to know the content of updates--whether they are optional or not. 

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS