Berkhof Collection ... resources not downloaded

Page 4 of 6 (115 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 114 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 204
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 2:38 PM

Steve Sando:

I finally pieced together the process and I have the books.  I don't have L3 installed so, here's what I did:

1. Go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/5084
  2. Click on "Download Book Files"
  3. Right click on each book and select "Save Link As"
  4. Save it in some folder.  I used "G:\Logos"
  5. Repeat for each book
  6. In L4 run the command; "Scan G:\Logos"
  7. Restart L4 (The books showed up, but it didn't index them. so no searching worked)
  8. In L4 run the command "merge index"

I'm now waiting for a reindex.  We'll see what happens

So far this is the only solution works for me, however Logos 4 still tries to download the 18.3mb files after I have add the collection manually.

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 3:20 PM

I have now gone through 3 or 4 "downloads," and a lengthy indexing process last nite. I went to bed with 8 hours left and when I woke up had an error message that said I was out of HD space. I looked and have 10gig free and so I closed and reopened the program as instructed. It downloaded 18.3mb, again, and so far, 9 hours later, has not begun to reindex. I can only search the same one resource everyone else can in the Berkhof collection. I do not want to rebuild the index, I did this on Wed. after 4.0b. Frustrating is just not strong enough a word.

Posts 59
Westie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 4:27 PM

This is another example of why L4 is still a beta product.    With problems like this, it is hard to argue otherwise.  I think it has great potential, and will someday surpass L3.  But in the mean time people have to be willing to deal with problems, and be patient.  I downloaded Berkhof into L3 and had it set up in a collection in less that 5 minutes.  I suggest that people run Both L3 & L4 to minimize frustration.

Mark

Posts 115
Steve Sando | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 4:49 PM

[sigh]

The merge index finished and the Berkhof books are not searchable.  I can read them, put them in a collection, but can't search.

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 5:47 PM

Woke up excited to see the progress Logos was making with Louie...nope. 18.3MB download, 3 seconds of indexing, and Louie is still in L3 format and can't be searched. This is ridiculous, Logos.

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 5:47 PM

Robert Pavich:

Based on the conversation here today; I'd change my opinon and say that we need something like the following:

"Logos is now downloading 14:5mb of data "The Louis Berkhof collection; 15 volumes"

That way we can keep track of what's what.

Yes, and we also need a way to show in the library the newest books.  How can it be good business practice to make people ask each other and figure out (sometimes using guesswork) if they actually received everything they bought?  Really?

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 7:28 PM

Hey Fred,

I know that this is a hack to identify new resources, but it works for me. I added a value to "my tags" for all the books in my library when I upgraded from 3.0.  Now if new books are added and I group by this field (my tags) the untagged books appear with a "- - " next to them.  These then are new books.

Posts 50
Robert Lombardi | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 8:01 PM

Mine downloaded and then performed 13 hours of indexing. I really get concerned about the toll this indexing is taking on my small laptop. It seems that it's really working the laptop, the fan is running and I can barely do anything when it's indexing. I always put the indexing in pause when I actually need to work on the laptop. And I dread accidentally shutting-down the laptop while it's indexing. I have to leave it on all night. And to top it off, in this case, I have no clue why it wanted to do that. The library window doesn't show any new books.

I tried the L3 method someone else mentioned. Updated L3, downloaded / installed the books, and then synchronized license. L4 still only downloaded 18.3 and did nothing.

I too may be going back to L3 until there's more of a major feature release that has me more convinced that it's stable and improved.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 8:15 PM

Mark:

This is another example of why L4 is still a beta product.    With problems like this, it is hard to argue otherwise.  I think it has great potential, and will someday surpass L3.  But in the mean time people have to be willing to deal with problems, and be patient.  I downloaded Berkhof into L3 and had it set up in a collection in less that 5 minutes.  I suggest that people run Both L3 & L4 to minimize frustration.

Mark

I did not get the Berkof Collection, yet. But from all the reports posted, it sounds more like a mistake in what files are downloaded, not a problem with Version 4. I would recommend not indexing until we hear differently. I'm afraid the indexing will be continous and unsuccessful until the correct files are downloaded.

Yes,  Version 3 is still very much alive & useful.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 19
Tom Traubitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 8:25 PM

I'm in the same boat.  L4 keeps wanting to download 18.3 MB of resources (Berkhoff) but it never downloads right and keeps trying to download again.   Massive indexing has also started on my netbook.    Very annoying and makes me start rethinking how many more resources I want to add to my Logos4 given the issues with performance.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 9:36 PM

This is all hypothetical since I haven't bought Berkof yet.

If I am sporting a 13GB resource collection do I really need to re-index after a little 25mb Berkof download? Then Monday I'm supposed to get two more tiny Pre-Pub titles. Will re-indexing happen again? If it wouldn't seriously degrade my functionality it would be nice to schedule indexing for every week or two or even monthly. I am not talking about turning off auto update. I would not get my new titles if I did that. I am only concerned with my poor hard drive spinning 24hrs a day.  (I've been taught that technically it doesn't hurt the drive but I can measure temperature increases when it does continuously spin.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 24704
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 9:57 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I am not talking about turning off auto update. I would not get my new titles if I did that.

I can only re-iterate my advice from page 3 in this situation:-

Dave Hooton:
Set Automatically Download Updates = NO in Program Settings. It will notify you that a download is available but don't accept it until you know (or hope!) the problem is fixed - give it a couple of days.

It's about managing the multiple downloads and multiple re-indexing that would otherwise occur in this situation, but also applies where people will make multiple purchases over a short period of time.

In respect of this problem I have created a bug report at http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_Issues_with_Berkhof_Collection. Please feel free to make changes via the Edit tab & then Save the change.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 39
Douglas McMasters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 1:11 AM

I followed these directions:

1. Go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/5084
  5. Repeat for each book
  7. Restart L4 (The books showed up, but it didn't index them. so no searching worked)

and finally completed the 'merge index' command overnight.  I awoke this morning to Berkhof in the library AND SEARCHABLE.

As a precaution I turned automatic updates to NO and am not paying attention to the occasional popup window that tells me updates are available.  So, in any case, I have a workable version until a fix is found for this problem.

Many thanks to all who thought through something of a solution for this issue.  

One final note--I would encourage Logos to listen closely to the issues and frustrations expressed in this thread.  I think several folks are right at the edge and not willing to repeat this experience without making some hard decisions about their involvement with Logos software.

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 1:23 AM

Douglas,

I'm glad it worked for you; mine is still unsearchable.  Keep in mind though that 14 of your files are probably L3 and only 1 is L4. Whenever they get around to fixing the problem, you'll have to download them again and endure another joyous time of indexing...

Posts 39
Douglas McMasters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 2:48 AM

DHG,

More than likely, but I've been waiting for these resources for some time and am willing to bear the pain of a future merge index--it's becoming a part of my regular routine Hmm.  I am teaching three of our pastoral staff theology; we're reading through Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics (you can find it on pre-pub) and I want them to cross-reference Berkhof's contributions.

I did notice something.  In my 'Theologies' collection, it lists two entries for Berkhof as author.  One entry has a '.' at the end of the name and thus generates a second author entry.  How do I report that?

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 7:20 AM

Douglas A. McMasters:

I did notice something.  In my 'Theologies' collection, it lists two entries for Berkhof as author.  One entry has a '.' at the end of the name and thus generates a second author entry.  How do I report that?

I've done it for you. Smile

Posts 1073
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 8:41 AM

Fred Greco:
Yes, and we also need a way to show in the library the newest books.  How can it be good business practice to make people ask each other and figure out (sometimes using guesswork) if they actually received everything they bought?  Really?

There is probably scope within the metadata for a purchase date field, or a download date field, or a last updated field, or similar, but this will be different for each user and difficult for Logos to implement from their end.

In the mean time I gave all my resources a rating of StarStar early on in the L4 beta process. New resources arrive without a rating (rating:0) so that they are easily identified.

As I became familiar with the different resources, I used Star for the stuff that I am not interested in (but just could not bring myself to remove! Geeked ... targums etc.) and StarStarStar for the stuff that I want to investigate later. StarStarStarStar or StarStarStarStarStar stars are reserved for resources that I have found particularly useful, or come highly rated by others.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 9:43 AM

Martin Folley:

Fred Greco:

There is probably scope within the metadata for a purchase date field, or a download date field, or a last updated field, or similar, but this will be different for each user and difficult for Logos to implement from their end.

In the mean time I gave all my resources a rating of StarStar early on in the L4 beta process. New resources arrive without a rating (rating:0) so that they are easily identified.

As I became familiar with the different resources, I used Star for the stuff that I am not interested in (but just could not bring myself to remove! Geeked ... targums etc.) and StarStarStar for the stuff that I want to investigate later. StarStarStarStar or StarStarStarStarStar stars are reserved for resources that I have found particularly useful, or come highly rated by others.

That's a useful system. Thanks for the idea! I've got a lot of catching up to do rating my resources...

Posts 19
Tom Traubitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 9:50 AM

Douglas A. McMasters:

I followed these directions:

1. Go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/5084
  5. Repeat for each book

and finally completed the 'merge index' command overnight.  I awoke this morning to Berkhof in the library AND SEARCHABLE.

As a precaution I turned automatic updates to NO and am not paying attention to the occasional popup window that tells me updates are available.  So, in any case, I have a workable version until a fix is found for this problem.

Many thanks to all who thought through something of a solution for this issue.  

One final note--I would encourage Logos to listen closely to the issues and frustrations expressed in this thread.  I think several folks are right at the edge and not willing to repeat this experience without making some hard decisions about their involvement with Logos software.

I can confirm this workaround on one of two computers I use.   Like Doug, I've turned off automatic updates for now, but I still get a popup telling me there are updates (which cannot be successfully downloaded.)   However, this fix does not seem universal (it worked correctly on my workstation, but does not seem to apply properly on my netbook.)  Oddly, I have two Louis Berkhoff's in my library when sorted by author.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 10:08 AM

Tom Traubitz:

Oddly, I have two Louis Berkhoff's in my library when sorted by author.

One has a period after his name and needs correcting by Logos.

Page 4 of 6 (115 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS