Should I Purchase the EBC (12 vols)?

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 49
Kason | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 13 2017 11:44 AM

I received an email that EBC is on sale and I can purchase the 12 volume set for $129, this sounds like a great deal.

Will this series provide much value to me? I currently have NAC, NIVAC, TNTC, TOTC, NIGTC, Pillar, LAC and some WBC.

Should I jump on the deal, or would it not add much additional value?

Thanks for the help! 

Posts 366
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 12:15 PM

Whether you should jump on it or not, I don't know. I have it and I like it. That's about I can say.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 12:23 PM

Kason:

I received an email that EBC is on sale and I can purchase the 12 volume set for $129, this sounds like a great deal.

Will this series provide much value to me? I currently have NAC, NIVAC, TNTC, TOTC, NIGTC, Pillar, LAC and some WBC.

Should I jump on the deal, or would it not add much additional value?

Thanks for the help! 

Use the 30-day money-back guarantee.  Buy it, put it in rotation; see how it stacks up against others that you have.  After 3 weeks, decide, so giving 7 days flex time.

Posts 6012
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 12:33 PM

Many people have been trying to buy it at that price, so try it! You can always return it.

DAL

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 12:34 PM

For that price, absolutely.  I have the older version, and prefer it to the new. 

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 1:07 PM

Kason:

Of the commentaries you list, I'd say EBC 12 vols is somewhere between NAC and TNCT+TOTC. I don't like to post an extract as EBC copyright restriction restricts that, but I just counted up the words in the sections on Romans 4:1-5. EBC had about 900 vs NAC about 1,000.

As to whether or not you should buy it, what are your interests - for expository/teaching/preaching EBC will be similar to NAC, although I actually prefer NIVAC; for exegetical work, your TNTC/TOTC, NIGTC, Pillar, WBC will be much better. I mostly focus on exegetical and rarely use EBC.

Posts 8739
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 2:39 PM

I think it is worth it for that price.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 889
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 3:02 PM

BriM:

... I don't like to post an extract as EBC copyright restriction restricts that ...

The product page has a number of preview pages for each volume for anyone who may want to have a brief look.

Posts 1021
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 3:03 PM

Seems like a good deal...I just bought the revised version in December so I think I'll have to pass on a great offer 😕

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 2902
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 3:23 PM

This is a rare sale. I'd buy and evaluate for 29 days then return if you don't like it. I have the revised in print and value it greatly. I've been told many consider it a staple

Posts 600
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 4:10 PM

I've been after these for a couple of years but I have never been able to justify the cost when compared with buying other stuff. I also received the offer notice and I've gone for it. At the price I think its too good to let go. So far I am very happy. For me its a 'midway' commentary. I'm going hard into Judges at the moment and so I've started reading this section. I have to say I like it. Its nowhere near as deep as some commentaries  I'm using but as a way of linking the overall themes with quite a bit of information thrown in  it does seem to have its place. 

Posts 5218
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 6:44 PM

Without a doubt at that price I would go for it. it is a fine mid level commentary that shines out in many spots like matthew and psalms, although I am very found of the gospel of john.  These seres has volume 1 filled with wonderful articles. It is a good starting point for anty evangelical scholar and a great place for anyone not of that ilk to get a good idea of evangelical thought. It was a commentary I always recommended before the massive price hike. I am glad to see that it has come down to a sale level like where it use to always be sold at. It is also in my mind a good core for building ones commentary library around.... Few are going to be satisfied with only it but like I said it is a very good starting point for evangelicals or those wanting a general evangelical view of scriptures. The revised version is superior in my mind but not worth the extra price. Indeed even after it came out I use to recommend the cheaper older version as a better value. Please seriously consider getting it and use it for 2-3 weeks to give it a fair evaluation, I don't think you will be disapointed.

-Dan 

Posts 5218
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 7:02 PM

Expositor's Bible Commentary?

Discussed the merits of this commentary too..

-Dan

Posts 2930
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 7:33 PM

My favorite reply from the thread Dan provided is:

David Carter:

Keith Pang:
A lot of people have the older one from what I've seen and heard. 

That's because we all bought it for around $130 a few years ago

Thankful for FL/Zondervan offering it again at that great price, since I wasn't a Logos customer a few years ago.

Posts 2270
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 13 2017 7:33 PM

This was one of the first commentary series I purchased and I haven't regretted it.  I don't use it as much since I have other commentaries, but I still turn to it.

Posts 2902
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 4:11 AM

I wish I got this email but thank goodness for this forum post

Posts 10362
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 4:42 AM

Kason:

Note that this is the original release. Logos also offers a revised edition, a a substantially higher cost Expositor's Bible Commentary, Revised Edition (13 vols.)

For $129, I would purchase this set—I paid more Stick out tongue

Posts 603
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 4:43 AM

Anyone know how long the sale is on for?

Posts 496
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 5:56 AM

FWIW http://www.bestcommentaries.com/author/donald-a-carson/ shows the Matthew commentary by Carson as #1.

From what it says you have a short time to decide.

Posts 2902
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 6:35 AM

Anyone know where this email came from?  Am I not subscribed to some special offer?  I checked zondervan's site yesterday but didn't see it listed

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS