Listing Commentaries by Bible

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 4:31 PM
Mark Barnes:

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
How would your workflow be different than opening commentaries from the Passage Guide? 

One issue with the PG is that it's often hard to see which commentaries are which. Titles are often very similar, and you have to hover. You can't see at a glance what you have. You also can't sort by rating, etc. which means you have to maintain your prioritisation pretty effectively to make the best use of it.

...and on mobile devices, there is no hovering!
Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 4:44 PM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
Then what would you do with that list?

I don't use the Passage Guide very often, so I would use it in Library to scan my resources.

The other thing Mark Barnes didn't point out about using the PG is that I don't see my tagging, ratings, or any other data that is found in Library. It would be helpful to see that.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 9:00 PM

scooter:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Currently adding year and series prefix to commentary titles (along with some author names)

May I ask what order you use for these?? And the Bible book.

Commentary Titles (with preference for shorter title to show in Passage Guide, Search Results, Tabs, ...)

• ?< for Plagiarism Alert
  • #### for Year
  • Series OR Author
  • (Author) is optional, which is helpful for series with more than one author for commentary on a book
  • Separator is = for Top 2 and : for others
  • Bible Book(s)
  • Optional suffix

Abbreviated Title

• Bible Book abbreviation(s)
  • Series abbreviation
  • #### Year is optional, which is helpful for series with more than one author for commentary on a book

Work in progress showing Library sorted by Type (Bible Commentary section) with filter:

title:18,title:19,title:20

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 4:47 AM

Thank you, KS4J, for your detailed message on how you organize commentaries.  I have copied it in its entirety into Word, along with its url + date, so I always have it available, and can reference the original. 

Posts 17
Rev Mark Woodhouse | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 5:31 PM

hi Adam, yes some really good answers (thanks everyone). The main use for me is is visual (how my brain works!!). when am preparing a sermon / talk etc it really helps to see everything in a list and pick the book, this is especially so as I get use to certain volumes, the book itself is a reminder. Some of the suggestions I think would work really well. I do have one question. if you rename a book what happens when Logos update it?

blessings and thanks everyone

Mark

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 6:09 PM

Rev Mark Woodhouse:
if you rename a book what happens when Logos update it?

Thankful for customized Title and Abbreviated Title being kept when resource file(s) are updated.

My work in progress of customizing Bible Commentary titles shows in Passage Guide, which includes a commentary rated in Top 2 (has = sign in title) by => http://bestcommentaries.com/topcommentaries/

Note: anticipating modification of my priority order.

Some series have Bible Commentary and Monograph resources so have customized some Monograph titles with year prefix: e.g. Rev. John Lightfoot whole works. Adding year prefix shows some series have decades from earliest volume to the last. Also year prefix can reflect original author time frame: e.g. 1558 for Calvin, which was translated and published in 1845.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS