March Madness Piper vs Bruce

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 676
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 14 2017 2:41 PM

Is anyone shocked FF bruce is killing John Piper? I sure am! 

Posts 48
Doug Newby | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 2:59 PM

I am a fan of John Piper but I would like to add some commentaries to my library so I would rather see FF Bruce win in the hopes of picking up some of his work.

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 3:07 PM

No, I am not surprised at all.  F.F. Bruce was one of the greatest New Testament Scholars in my lifetime.  John Piper is a great preacher / teacher.  However, I don't see him in Bruce's league as a scholar.  Piper's sermons are available on the internet for free.  To be inspired I would read Piper.  To learn, I would read Bruce.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 3:28 PM

Piper does not need to win, his resources are all like 10 dollars or less (not counting sermon archive which is free on desiring God)...F F Bruce is the better choice and it shows

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 5:20 PM

I am not totally surprised since Piper has gone deep in the last few tournaments so many may have already bought what they wanted from him.

We don't know what FL will offer, but Bruce has a number of serious commentaries a lot of folks might like to pick up at a bargain price if he keeps going.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 7:23 PM

Michael Childs:

No, I am not surprised at all.  F.F. Bruce was one of the greatest New Testament Scholars in my lifetime.  John Piper is a great preacher / teacher.  However, I don't see him in Bruce's league as a scholar.  Piper's sermons are available on the internet for free.  To be inspired I would read Piper.  To learn, I would read Bruce.

I will grant you that Piper and Bruce are in different disciplines, but I don't think you can say that Bruce is a superior scholar.  There is far more to Piper than his sermons, which are very good themselves.  He has many other works you should look into, one of which just came out in Logos: Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood.  It is a definitive work on the subject.  

I see Bruce as more one dimensional, a phenomnal assest in my library.  I would still prefer Piper to win, although I don't see that happening. 

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 7:37 PM

I am not a fan of John Piper. Have not read any of his books, and I doubt I ever will. He has some warped up and twisted Reformed Theology-Calvinistic teachings out there. I voted for F. F. Bruce all the way. Thank God he is winning.

Posts 3172
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 8:30 PM

Kenute P. Curry:

I am not a fan of John Piper. Have not read any of his books, and I doubt I ever will. He has some warped up and twisted Reformed Theology-Calvinistic teachings out there. I voted for F. F. Bruce all the way. Thank God he is winning.

I understand that you may not agree with someone else's views, and you are certainly free to vote for whoever you want.

But Christ said in Mark 9:40, "For whoever is not against us is for us." I believe John Piper is for -- he exalts -- Jesus Christ, and the Kingdom of God.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 8:32 PM

Kenute P. Curry:

Kenute, may I remind you that the forums are the place to discuss Logos software only and not one's theological preferences or biases?Zip it!

Posts 3172
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 8:45 PM

Bill Anderson:
forums are the place to discuss Logos software only and not one's theological preferences or biases

Thanks, Bill, for reminding us of that.

Posts 3024
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 9:00 PM

Absolutely agree with what you're saying about Bruce. I only hope that FL will get F.F. Bruce: A Life  available soon. I have had my Pre pub order in for years now. Bump :)

mm.

Michael Childs:

mm.

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 9:09 PM

Kenute P. Curry:

This is absolutely offensive.  I would encourage you to retract this statement and apologize.  You may hold your opinion, but your freedom in Christ does not entitle you to speak this way of fellow believers (including myself, who affirm his theology.)

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 9:18 PM

Well, well, I see that 2 of my posts have been removed from this thread, but other people can post whatever they want. 

This is why I hardly spend any money here now; because of things like this. Now I really know and see what FAITHLIFE thinks about me, and how other Christians feel about me here in the Forums.What an Eye-Opener!!!!!!

I expect for this post to be removed also, but am writing it any way. I expect to be kicked out of the Forums, because when things don't go their way, that's it for you! 

What an Eye-Opener for me! Am seeing real clearly now as to what FAITHLIFE is all about, and it ain't good!!!

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 9:29 PM

Oh I would never retract my statement and apologize wherever John Piper is concerned Everett Headley. Christ never taught and preached THEOLOGY; He taught and preached THE GOSPEL of THE KINGDOM OF GOD. Read your Bible.

John Piper's Theology is nothing to affirm - just blasphemous and heretical doctrine. It is an affront to Almighty God!

I will say this again - All I stated was 2 lines here, and everyone goes berserk! Everyone else has been saying just what they want, but I can't. Really? Is that what this is about? Please, I do not need your childish attitudes.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 14 2017 10:12 PM

Recently another Logos user asked for assistance in searching "lashon ha-ra" in  Holy Scriptures: Tree of Life Version (TLV) so created bug thread => 7.5 RC 1 Bug "lashon ha-ra" headword for Tree of Life Version plus thought about this thread discussion.

Thankful for Philippians Precept Upon Precept partnership between Faithlife and Precept Ministries that has a variety of discussions => https://faithlife.com/precept-philippians-study/topics about Paul's letter to the Philippians plus application today: e.g. "Rejoicing in our Lord always allows God's Gentleness to impart Love for one another with Thanksgiving in prayer so God's Peace rules (guards) our hearts and minds. While our thoughts dwell on attributes of God, our actions do His will. When we do God's will, our thoughts glorify Him by dwelling on Him."

"Thankful Rejoicing (Smiling) and Crying (Tears) can be done together: e.g. Gold Star remembrance for MVP (Many Volunteer Posts) in forum discussions" (plus some tears for comments in this thread)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 7:52 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
"Thankful Rejoicing (Smiling) and Crying (Tears) can be done together: e.g. Gold Star remembrance for MVP (Many Volunteer Posts) in forum discussions" (plus some tears for comments in this thread)

Well said.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 348
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 8:22 AM

Kenute P. Curry:

I see that 2 of my posts have been removed from this thread, but other people can post whatever they want. 

Your posts were removed because they were against the forum guidelines. No other people in this thread have made theological statements, or inflammatory comments against another member.

Kenute P. Curry:

I expect to be kicked out of the Forums, because when things don't go their way, that's it for you! 

On the contrary: to my knowledge, no user has ever been permanently banned for their views on the forums. Please treat others here with respect in both your tone and your beliefs.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 8:52 AM

As I have stated Adam Borries (Faithlife)

I now know what FAITHLIFE thinks of me and about me. What an Eye-Opener!

And you just proved my point to be right.

You know, I was going to let this go, until you made these scathingly derogatory comments about my tone and beliefs.

I can also feel your tone lashing out against me in your comments. 

Anyway, I have been moving away from FAITHLIFE, LOGOS, and VYRSO for sometime now, and FAITHLIFE just keeps pushing me further and further away.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 10:57 AM

Kenute P. Curry:

Oh I would never retract my statement and apologize wherever John Piper is concerned Everett Headley. Christ never taught and preached THEOLOGY; He taught and preached THE GOSPEL of THE KINGDOM OF GOD. Read your Bible.

John Piper's Theology is nothing to affirm - just blasphemous and heretical doctrine. It is an affront to Almighty God!

Reported as abuse of the forum guidelines. Please, Kenute, just stop.

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 11:03 AM

Let them delete all of my posts Bill Anderson

I am done with this. 

Whenever you stand on the truth of the Word of God, you will encounter opposition.

Like I said; I am done with this.

You will hear nothing from me anymore in any of the FORUMS. I am leaving. Goodbye and have a nice day.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS