John Macarthur's Blog Today

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 21 2010 8:14 PM | Locked

Peace and Joy to the Logos Community!   *smile*

I am a conservative Lutheran, but I notice that I have 26 Macarthur resources in my L3 & L4 libraries.  On the old newsgroups and here in the forums, various posters have spoken of John Macarthur very highly.

So ..........     I thought I'd share today's issue of his blog     ...........      I found it very "interesting"!    *smile*

The link = http://www.gty.org/Blog/B100303

Yours in Christ,

........   Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2010 11:43 PM

Typical MacArthur. Great truth, but spoken in a tone that would rather invoke a fight than convince those who disagree.

But I enjoy John anyway. Shared with a few others.

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:09 AM

Vintage MacArthur! One of the few preachers in the public sphere that preaches the gospel - that is why he remains a fovourite of mine.

Thanks for sharing this.

Ted.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:42 AM

Danny Parker:
Typical MacArthur. Great truth, but spoken in a tone that would rather invoke a fight than convince those who disagree.

This summarises the problem that I have with MacArthur so often he really does hit the nail on the head but then he seems to switch to a series of more personalised attacks and sweeping generalisations. The blog linked in this thread is a good example I totally agree that many Churches have taken their eye of the ball and are simply copying the ministry of others. Some of the 40 days initiatives are good examples if they are part of God's plan for your ministry they work if they are not they don't. 

Here in the UK Alpha has been hugely successful in some Churches but for every one that should be using it there are many that are doing it because its trendy not because its right.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 6:01 AM

Every time I start to write a critique of his blog, I sound like him, and I don't want to sound like him.  

That said, his books in my library go mostly unread for the very reasons mentioned above.

Posts 90
Chris Hulshof | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 7:18 AM

If you go back a couple days on his blog to the "There's a Wideness in God's Mercy" blog you'll find his take down of Billy Graham.

What is most discouraging to me when he does this stuff is that I think this is something you take up with the person specifically (since he seems content on making it personal by naming names) over the phone, or in a letter, or by email or something.  It's not something you throw out there for all of the public to see on your blog.  How is this any different then the water-cooler chat that pagan's engage in?

Chris

"If heaven ain't a gift I ain't gettin' in." - Lecrae Moore

Posts 588
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 7:22 AM

I have experienced first hand the fallout and seen the susequent body count of some of the latest teaching in the last couple of decades here in America. I have seen those who have tried to raise a hue and cry as well as those who try to "get along" or not debate the issues.

In the end it seems as we in America are experiencing a time of spiritual decline for a multitude of reasons. But no matter the reason the body count still seems to rise unabated. I can take John MacArthur with a grain of salt, but I do thank God for his ministry to say what many would find distasteful to discuss.

My pastor friend from South Africa once said to me, "In America it seems like you are driven by theological fad's" I find it hard to argue the point with him.

Posts 2898
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:19 AM

"If you go back a couple days on his blog to the "There's a Wideness in God's Mercy" blog you'll find his take down of Billy Graham."

I will always be an admirer of Dr. Billy Graham.  He has been so greatly used by God.

I also admire a lot about John MacArthur - especially his emphasis upon the Lordship of Jesus Christ.  I disagree with some of MacArthur's theology, and sometimes I feel he is too judgmental.  However, I like his commentaries, and generally find him helpful.

I was unaware of his criticism of Dr. Graham, so I listened to his blog entitled "There is a Wideness in God's Mercy."  With all due respect to Dr. Graham, I find myself in agreement with John MacArthur's comments.  They were not unfair criticism.  Graham does state that Moslems and Buddhists can be saved without receiving Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.  I am stunned by that.  I cannot agree with that regardless of my admiration for Dr. Graham.  It is just not biblical.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:25 AM

This is indeed an interesting discussion, but, is this forum the place to have it?

Forum Guidelines

Posts 90
Chris Hulshof | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:48 AM

Michael,

I don't agree with Billy's comments either.  However, I am even in greater disagreement with taking it to the public in a blog.  Call up Billy or send him an email or something.  If you're gonna go public then leave the names out.  He could have made the same statements but said something like "Recently I watched a video where two prominent Christian leaders were discussing the mercy of God....."  It would have made the point without slinging mud around.

Chris

"If heaven ain't a gift I ain't gettin' in." - Lecrae Moore

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 9:04 AM | Locked

Kevin Becker:

This is indeed an interesting discussion, but, is this forum the place to have it?

Forum Guidelines

Thanks Kevin, you got here before I did.

Thanks everyone, for letting this be the last post in this thread. (hint)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 9:08 AM

Interesting take on things in this thread! I am completely one hundred percent with John MacArthur in his warnings and stance. I cannot speak of the US but what i see in the UK confirms exactly what he says. I pray we have more preachers like him who have the courage of their convictions.

I watch with disbelief how these ambassadors of Christ go on the Larry King show and equivocate on the gospel. Some say MacArthur is guilty of over generalizing, well i don't think so. I will leave it at that, IMHO the man MacArthur loves sound doctrine. With that i will not quarrel; what is incomprehensible to me is that a man follows the lead of the bible, our Lord and the Apostles in confronting errors, fads and teachers who mislead the body of Christ and a lot of individuals find this to be judgmental, critical, divisive and unloving.

I am sure the heroes of the Reformation would side with MacArthur. I just don't see what is so controversial in what MacArthur says but i am shocked by what the other preachers are teaching!

Forum rules - OK i am done.

Ted

Edit: A good read is, Ashamed of the Gospel:When The Church Becomes Like The World by John MacArthur http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/ashmdgsp

11 When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. 12 Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.
14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1984 (electronic edition.) (Ga 2:11–14). London: Hodder & Stoughton.

Emphasis added by me.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 142
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 9:59 AM

Not a MacArthur fan, but liked this article.

Being the "expert in the law" that I am (no, I actually am not).  Maybe if the OP had placed this in the suggestion forum, under articles to include on LOGOS homepage, then it would fit rule #1 and, if we are civil rule #2 would be appeased. . .

(Please take this email as the sore attempt at humor I was trying to make it) Wink

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:16 AM

Maybe someone could suggest some great Logos resources we could search through and study to come to our own conclusions as to whether Evangelicalism is a mess or not according to Scripture...at least until Logos gives us a forum to discuss personal theological debate.

Posts 33453
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 4:09 PM

Kevin Becker:

No.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 4:48 PM

Thank you very much for the link! 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 4:57 PM

Ted Hans:
what is incomprehensible to me is that a man follows the lead of the bible, our Lord and the Apostles in confronting errors, fads and teachers who mislead the body of Christ and a lot of individuals find this to be judgmental, critical, divisive and unloving.

Ted, YesYes

FWIW, Billy Graham was a public figure and his teaching affected masses of people. Given that fact, MacArthur's approach was appropriate.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:12 PM

One of my greatest Logos desires is to obtain MacArthur's works. If I could ever catch up on pre-pubs, I could order them. Smile I was able to spend just a smidgen of time with him almost 20 years ago and found him to be a gracious and humble man. His motivating desire is the glory of God, and he sees it as proper to warn others of public figures who have gone astray in some line of thinking. It's not a personal attack from MacArthur. It's a matter of truth. I disagree with his eschatology, but I admire his high view of the Scriptures. Lloyd-Jones was similarly criticized as MacArthur in his day.

Now, if I can just catch a breather to get his commentaries and other writings into my Logos library, I'll give the print copies a rest. Thanks for the link.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:38 PM

Bill Moore:

One of my greatest Logos desires is to obtain MacArthur's works.

I agree. MacArthur has been incredibly influential in my life and the life of my church. Incredible man of God, committed to the Scripture, and committed to training expositors who will likewise be committed to the Bible. 

For those who have his commentary series, you may be missing his recently released 1-3 John Commentary. It is in the running at http://www.logosmarchmadness.com/. It's in column 4. Please vote for it so we can all get a huge discount on it to keep our commentary collections up to date.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 6:02 PM

I read John as well.  Remember he is calvinist, but nearly everyone I read is dogmatic and calvinist.  Doctrine and truth are important, BUT we must not lose focus of our first love.  The church of Ephesus was warned (Rev 2) and their light was snuffed out.  There are 7 non-negotiables in Ephesians 4:4-6.  Anyone who disagrees is not a Christian.  O.K., my other point is chpt 4 is about unity and Christ gave gifts to men, not just the leaders but all Christians.  Therefore, there is diversity among us and as long as we agree with and are a part of those 7 truths mentioned above, we need to learn to humble ourselves and seek to grow the kingdom with our supernatural talents.  I think John does that.  He is very dogmatic and in that sense...uncompromising of the Gospel and as long as that part of the body doesn't lose it's first love, they will flourish for the kingdom of God.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS