Do you write mostly in Logos or out of Logos?

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 15 2017 9:55 AM

Kevin DeYoung had an interesting article about ministry and writing today at the Gospel Coalition. You can read the article if you want at https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/kevindeyoung/2017/03/15/why-pastors-should-work-hard-to-write-well/

My question is this, how do you use Logos for writing, if at all?

Personally, I take short notes in Logos and I use a combination of Word, Evernote, and Scrivener for longer expositions. Just curious as to what others are doing.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 233
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 10:12 AM

As a layperson I teach Sunday School and lead small groups.  I cut and paste or export text from Logos and work exclusively in Word for Windows.  

Lately  I have been right clicking on highlighted text in commentaries and adding it to a note.  I export the quotes from the note to Word, convert it to PDF and email it to my IPad where I open it in Books.  The notes are pre-sorted within each resource by verse order of the Bible passage we are studying.  A bit of a Kludge, but very useful and actually saves time overall.

If I just open the note on the IPad I can only view the entire text in the original resource and not in the note itself.  I may be doing something wrong, but all I see are identifiers for each note and not the text.

Long answer but great question.

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 2675
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 10:22 AM

I study and take notes on what I learn in Logos notes. But I write sermons or Bible studies or on occasion blog posts outside of Logos. I don't use the Sermon Editor or others in the program.

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 10:24 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I study and take notes on what I learn in Logos notes. But I write sermons or Bible studies or on occasion blog posts outside of Logos. I don't use the Sermon Editor or others in the program.

I haven't given the sermon editor enough of a chance to know if I would use it a lot or not. The concept intrigues me, I just don't have the time to mess with something new.

How to upload logs

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 10:43 AM

David Taylor Jr:
Research in Logos. Use "Notes" in Logos to cite/hyperlink to articles especially for journals discussing bible passages. Write in Word with numerous "comments in Word" hyperlinked to Logos (so I can get back to where I read/quoted). 

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 10:45 AM

Except for a few notes, totally out. 

Sermons are done with LibreOffice

Clippings are done in OneNote

Journaling is done in David Michael's "TheJournal"

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 10:59 AM

Floyd Johnson:

Journaling is done in David Michael's "TheJournal"

I'm not familiar with this, what is it?

How to upload logs

Posts 2787
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 11:36 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Not at all. The Sermon Editor tool hasn't changed that, either.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1525
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 12:30 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Except for a few brief notes in Logos, I write my sermons (and other stuff) in Pages or Keynote. I've tried using Logos to write sermons in notes (and a little bit in Sermon Editor), but once you have a routine going, it's a lot of work and time to establish a new routine. The benefits did not outweigh the effort. I'm also not thrilled about having all my eggs in one basket.

Posts 775
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 12:32 PM

When I sit under my fig tree thinking about the Scriptures, I find that the Logos Notes utility is perfect for jotting down my thoughts.  They are rough notes but at least they don't melt away and escape.  Anything more polished or formal goes into Word.

I am very impressed with Clippings (it has come a long way since I first tried it), but I wish they would cut it loose from the Logos program.  Give us a stand-alone utility where those clippings could be easily accessed - iow, a utility which wouldn't require having to open Logos - similar to the old Cardfile in Windows 3.x.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 2912
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 12:33 PM

I do most of my writing outside of Logos. I wish that the notes were more robust, but until notes are a bit more robust and the mobile app can handle more, I use Word, OneNote, or OmniOutliner depending on what my needs are. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:06 PM

JRS:
I am very impressed with Clippings (it has come a long way since I first tried it), but I wish they would cut it loose from the Logos program.  Give us a stand-alone utility where those clippings could be easily accessed - iow, a utility which wouldn't require having to open Logos - similar to the old Cardfile in Windows 3.x.

you can open your clippings from http://documents.logos.com  - it may even look a bit like Cardfile (well, or not. I've no clear picture in my mind how that looked exactly) . What is missing is an editor to update them (i.e. the notes and tags - this is missing from app.logos.com as well)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:12 PM

Word and OneNote is the way I write mostly everything. I mainly use Logos for research, study, etc. not to write in though. 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 369
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:15 PM

I do all of my writing outside of Logos and use Logos predominately for studying Scripture.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:47 PM

David Taylor Jr:
what is it?

David Michael's "TheJournal"

http://www.davidrm.com/

If you like Journalling etc this is helpful.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 3024
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:59 PM

Looks interesting.

SteveF:

David Taylor Jr:
what is it?

David Michael's "TheJournal"

http://www.davidrm.com/

If you like Journalling etc this is helpful.

mm.

Posts 1347
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 2:02 PM

Completely out of Logos. Also a combination of Evernote (notes), Scrivener (hammering it out), and Word (lame necessity for formatting and distribution.)

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1004
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 2:05 PM

I use Logos for making the kind of notes I would write in the margin of a paper book.  I also find the Scripture lists handy for organizing and printing out the passages that I'm going to teach from - that keeps me from having to keep flipping through my Bible during a lesson.  For everything else, I use Microsoft Word.

Posts 775
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 2:14 PM

NB.Mick:
you can open your clippings from http://documents.logos.com  - it may even look a bit like Cardfile (well, or not. I've no clear picture in my mind how that looked exactly) . What is missing is an editor to update them (i.e. the notes and tags - this is missing from app.logos.com as well)

Thanks, NB, I was aware of that but it has several shortcomings:

Not editable

Can't add new, blank cards/clippings

Can't duplicate individual cards/clippings

Can't move cards/clippings around

Has some formatting issues

Internet connection required

Slow compared to a local utility on a HDD or SSD

What I would like (and I know it's probably a pipe dream) is a very simple, freeform DB for the collection, storage, display, editing, etc. of Clippings outside of Logos (and yet still synchronizes with it).  Plus the ability to populate with data from resources outside of Logos (via copy/paste).  I don't want some humongous piece of software that takes weeks/months to learn to operate efficiently ... just something simple.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 233
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 2:20 PM

Mick said:

you can open your clippings from http://documents.logos.com  - it may even look a bit like Cardfile (well, or not. I've no clear picture in my mind how that looked exactly) . What is missing is an editor to update them (i.e. the notes and tags - this is missing from app.logos.com as well)

I checked it out and opened a Notes file.  Somebody tell me what I am supposed to do with this? The only way I can see the content is in the resource or in the quotes view which is not available outside of Logos unless you export the file in quotes view.

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS