Do you write mostly in Logos or out of Logos?

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 48
Doug Newby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 2:34 PM

This is a great question.  I have been away from using Logos for a couple of years mostly based on the absence of a quality computer to properly run the program.  I have been using the iPad app but am now able to get back into the desktop side of things...long introduction to say that as I look to use the program on a more daily basis I too was wondering the best way to create notes.

It sounds like most people do not use the notes within logos.  Anyone use Google docs instead of Word.  I have both but Google is more robust on all devices i.e. laptop, iPad, Chromebook and wonder if others have gone that route.

Posts 260
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 4:31 PM

Since 2011, I have keep all of my study materials in Logos. I create a notes document and a clippings document for every text that I preach. However, I write all of my sermons in Word.  I noticed that some people on here use Scrivener.  What is the advantage to it over Word? 

Posts 8723
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 4:32 PM

I've never landed on something that I use consistently. I use Logos, Word (and even paper Embarrassed)

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2945
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 6:09 PM

Greg Corbin:

Since 2011, I have keep all of my study materials in Logos. I create a notes document and a clippings document for every text that I preach. However, I write all of my sermons in Word.  I noticed that some people on here use Scrivener.  What is the advantage to it over Word? 

Scrivener allows you to keep your work in multiple documents. Example, if I'm writing a book each chapter can be its own document. It also allows you to clip research and have note cards for brainstorming.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 3621
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 15 2017 7:18 PM

Doug Newby:
Anyone use Google docs instead of Word.  

I do use Google Docs to complete my book reviews. Allows me to write online (preferred) or offline. I then copy and paste into blogger and other retail sites.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3640
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 12:40 PM

David Taylor Jr:
how do you use Logos for writing, if at all?

All my writing is done from a word processor. Early on (circa version 1.6 thru 2), I kept lots of notes & other text files in Logos. But when they changed databases on one release & elected not to carry all the text file formats into the 1st release of the new version, I shifted permanently to a word processor that guarantees upward compatibility.

Posts 48
Doug Newby | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 12:52 PM

BillS:

I shifted permanently to a word processor that guarantees upward compatibility.

That is a great point.  While I think the structure of the Logos information is stable, and the threat of that happening again would seem slim, ensuring the life of personal notes in a user controlled environment is important.  I suppose that nothing is 100% safe but given the limitations of the note system within Logos I am going to try and us Google Docs for my notes.  I like the idea of syncing across all of my devices easily and the ability to download them for personal storage.

I only wonder about personal book creation.  I know that google docs will save in the .docx format but has anyone tried to create a personal book with a .docx file made from Google Docs?

Posts 366
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 16 2017 1:12 PM

I have, over the years, lost many documents that I wanted to hold on to due to computer crashes. Now, I use a combination of Word, OneNote and Onedrive.  I have been able to keep all of my documents safe and I am also able to work on them where ever I am.

Jim

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 6
April Hollingshead | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 10 2017 8:52 PM

I really don't like how the note function works in Logos. I write out of Logos using OneNote.  I really want somthing Like OneNote to be added to Logo so I will not have to use 2 different programs. I want a rich note taking and editing and research bible program. So far nothing is like what I want. I might be asking too much LOL! Logos is the best bible software for research, but is lacking in note taking formatting and editing. This is what I'm look for in my bible study. Right now till they do somthing different I use OneNote with Logos. I link the passage that I'm studying to the OneNote study I'm doing. So when I do go back to the passage in Logos, I find my link in the form of a note. I did take me a while to figure out but I finely did. I also love the awesome inductive bible highlighting panel. One of my main reason why I chose Logos over other programs.  I can easily integrate it into OneNote for my study. No program is perfect but OneNote and Logos comes pretty close especially if you use them together.

Posts 260
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 11:56 AM

I use "notes" and "clippings" inside Logos to preserve my study. Then I write my sermons in Word.  The sermon editor intrigues me, but I have not yet taken the time to fully explore it.

Posts 2814
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 2:28 PM

I never write in Logos, and I have no intention of doing so.  I cut and paste to Word.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1786
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 3:36 PM

I write all my sermons in the sermon editor and I still use the 'handouts' feature for my Bible Study notes.  

I use the 'notes' and 'clipping' feature a lot, for capturing thoughts and ideas as I read and study.

Posts 734
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 3:54 PM

Logos notes are an excellent way to keep track of research.  During "normal" reading, I keep my notes and highlights in resource specific notes files.  Research is collected in topical notes files which will typically span many resources. I tend to copy a lot of the original resource into the note so that the resulting notes file is readable on its own.

My research is normally done for teaching Sunday school.  Following suggestions from this forum, I employ a mind map tool.  I settled on the free version of FreeMind.  Originally, the idea was to use FreeMind just to organize my presentation.  However, when I presented a unit on the Puritans, I found myself informing the class that sermons from hundreds of years ago were much more complex where the preacher might drill down a topical sub-tree only to emerge for the next point after expositing for a very long time.  The attention span of the congregation allowed them to follow him.  It occurred to me that the structure of the mind map that I was using for my presentation would assist the class in following my sub-points.  I have scrapped the use of Power Point, which is quite "flat" and project my mind map to the class. 

I have had no complaints except from my son, who thinks I should not use stark, unadorned text boxes.

When I am taking notes in a class, I use OneNote.

Posts 851
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 5:49 PM

Greg Corbin:
I create a notes document and a clippings document for every text that I preach.

How do you organize all of your notes? That is the one thing that has really kept me away from using Logos extensively for notes or clippings. It seems that it would not take long for the notes management system to become overwhelming, just an endless list of files, without any folder structure.

Posts 3036
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 6:22 PM

Have totally quit using, notes, highlighting, etc. 10 million note files in Logos turn me off completely.

I use Word 2016 (right now)- once I finish a study I create a PBB- that way I reference my resources using footnotes in docx, or create a link to the resource- depending on what I am trying to do with the information.

Also making it a PBB allows me to return to the docx file and update it at anytime.

Posts 4823
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 13 2017 12:35 AM

Naming conventions help with organising notes and other documents. For any document I create, note file, clipping, passage list etc that relates to a specific book and or chapter of the bible I use a numbering system. For instance a general note file relating to the whole of the book of exodus I will name 02:00 Exodus Notes. But if I am creating a block diagram for Exodus chapter 4, say as an example, I will name the file 02:04 Exodus 4 Block Diagram. This assists with sorting and filtering of documents. For instance if I want to look at any document I have created relating to Leviticus I would simply enter 04 in the document search bar to filter the list of documents. If I wished i could then sort by type to further narrow my search.

Other people have used different naming conventions. The convention you use is not important as long as you are consistent in using the convention you have chosen.

Is it a perfect approach no?  Would i like to be able to organise by folders? Yes. And to this end some people use favorites to organise their user created documents as an alternative to or in conjunction with a naming convention.

Michael McLane:

Greg Corbin:
I create a notes document and a clippings document for every text that I preach.

How do you organize all of your notes? That is the one thing that has really kept me away from using Logos extensively for notes or clippings. It seems that it would not take long for the notes management system to become overwhelming, just an endless list of files, without any folder structure.

Posts 21478
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 13 2017 1:11 AM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
Naming conventions help with organising notes and other documents. For any document I create, note file, clipping, passage list etc that relates to a specific book and or chapter of the bible I use a numbering system. For instance a general note file relating to the whole of the book of exodus I will name 02:00 Exodus Notes. But if I am creating a block diagram for Exodus chapter 4, say as an example, I will name the file 02:04 Exodus 4 Block Diagram. This assists with sorting and filtering of documents. For instance if I want to look at any document I have created relating to Leviticus I would simply enter 04 in the document search bar to filter the list of documents. If I wished i could then sort by type to further narrow my search.

That's a nice approach - thanks for sharing it.

Disciple of Christ (doc):
And to this end some people use favorites to organise their user created documents as an alternative to or in conjunction with a naming convention.

I tend to do this but I'm not as consistent with it as I should be.

Posts 510
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 13 2017 7:59 AM

I teach Adult CE weekly at my church. I've abandoned the Logos Notes system as being completely useless in it's current state and has been completely useless since it was first implemented.

I study in Logos and then make my notes in either Evernote or in a free Mac app called Outlineedit because of it's superior outlining abilities and then when i finish i export the outline into Evernote. From Evernote i cut and paste outline elements and flesh out my lesson in Keynote on my iMac and then make the Keynote presentation into a pdf for a handout and to post on my blog. I also (for larger audiences) use the Keynote presentation through an Apple TV (and video projector) to teach in the auditorium.

Evernote and Keynote and an outlining app are the keys to my weekly prep to teach, of course after doing all the studying in Logos on my iMac.

John

Posts 734
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 13 2017 5:24 PM

Hi Doc,

Some people might still object to the long list of Documents->Notes to locate the specific file.  Have you considered creating a Notes folder in Favorites?  You could have a subordinate Exodus folder where you stash the various chapters of Exodus and variants.  The folders can nest for at least four levels deep in order to provide a semblance of organization. 

The only shortcoming that I see is that the Favorites does not have a Search box.  There doesn't seem to be a way to search over the content of Favorites.  This shouldn't be a problem for notes on books of the Bible, but it could limit the usefulness for general topical notes where the nesting might not be clear.

Posts 205
Jim Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 13 2017 7:31 PM

When I prepare sermons, I use Logos layouts. I copy and paste in Clipping as well as Open Office. I finish my sermon in Open Office as well as other places I have written. 

I write a couple of times of week based on my Bible reading. I call these my reflection ("simple thoughts.") I write them in Logos Notes and then post them online. When I come to a sermon I am writing in which have already written a reflection, I build on that reflection. 

When I prepare a sermon, I write a manuscript, a handout, and a Powerpoint presentation for the iPad. I save the files in Dropbox under a system I created based on Bible book order. I post the sermon online after I preach them. Finally, I copy the sermon into a Note file and link the post. 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jimerwin/ - a postmodern pastor in a digital world

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS