MM Progressive Vote Loss?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 19 2017 4:22 PM

I was just wondering what would account for the attrition as the rounds progress.  In R1 Chappell vs Packer there were 5000 votes cast and Bruce cs Longman had 4700.  Yet in R2 with Bruce vs Packer, there were only 3100 votes.  Wouldn't it stand to reason that there would be about 10000 votes, negating attrition?  Yet there's only 30% of the previous votes cast for the 4 authors.  Is because someones' favorite didn't make it to the next round? Perhaps, but 7000 not voting for the next? 

This makes me think that MM is simply a popularity tool, whether for the actual authors in the event, or people jsut happening by the site and voting.  

(I didn't care to dig too deep into this or look at other brackets.  Just musing.)

Posts 678
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 8:09 PM

I'm not sure if people are losing interest, or if it's not important how much of a discount they are receiving. My big potentials, in number of books possible, were MacArthur and Wiersbe. I'll still vote, but the outcome won't benefit me one way or the other. I played the game to get books, not honor the authors.

Dale Heath

Posts 2315
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 19 2017 9:30 PM

I guess a vast number of Logos users receive the initial email to vote for the first round, and then progressively drop out because they're not interested, don't understand haw the voting works, consider additional voting waste of time, or whatever other reasons.

I doubt that the dropped authors were favourites of the big masses. After all, they dropped out early.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 520
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 2:21 AM

If the choice offered is between two authors regarding whom I have no strong feeling about then I'll simply not vote, so that the winner is decided by those who consider one or another author's works more desirable. I suspect that I'm not alone in this practice although I don't think that by itself it explains the substantial reduction in voting figures.

Posts 10056
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 3:33 AM

Gordon Jones:

If the choice offered is between two authors regarding whom I have no strong feeling about then I'll simply not vote, so that the winner is decided by those who consider one or another author's works more desirable. I suspect that I'm not alone in this practice although I don't think that by itself it explains the substantial reduction in voting figures.

At least it explains the reduction of my votes in MM2017, too.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 7:11 AM

Confused

Probably due to disinterest in the men. 

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 7:32 AM

The votes of those who continue to do so are thus proportionately more important.

Posts 302
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 9:30 AM

I can only speak for myself, but I vote for the theologians who have resources I actually want, hoping to get the biggest discounts for them. Once they get eliminated, I don't see a need to vote for those remaining but I don't actually want.

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 980
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 9:49 AM

ditto

Posts 1426
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 10:38 AM

Denise:

Confused

Probably due to disinterest in the men. 

not sure about that, but based on the history, women don't  pass first round 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 11:45 AM

Wild Eagle, I wondered who would bite.

Note, I took greater care in the inclusion of the limiter 'the'.

Posts 678
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 22 2017 10:18 AM

As mentioned in this thread and other threads, the early rounds have authors who aren't as widely collected as the more seasoned authors are. There is more voting in the early rounds because there will be more titles available for purchase. In the later rounds, those with larger libraries won't have any books available to them, so they lose interest in voting. Unless you are new to Logos, eventually you have all the old books by the popular authors. We need to get the books that weren't offered at a discount in the past.

I was hoping there would be more 24 hr. matchups and that both authors books would be on sale, but at different discounts. A good way to introduce some of the newer or less popular authors.

Dale Heath

Posts 678
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 28 2017 9:21 PM

At the end of each round, half of the contestants are eliminated. You would think that during the next round the vote count for each contestant would double, that is if the number of voters stayed the same. Here's what happened in the case of Moo:

Round 1 4068

Round 2 2605

Round 3 1982

Round 4 2031

Round 5 2097

Round 6 1602 incomplete, Bruce (1009) & Moo combined 2611 incomplete.

Moo pulled 4068 in round one and the total vote so far in round 6 is only 2611 for both.

So, it looks like the total number of voters dropped by half each round after the 1st. It would be interesting to know what the total vote count was for each round.

Dale Heath

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS