Hanging

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26
Rev. Todd Ruddell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 20 2017 6:34 AM

I have a recurring problem with Logos 7 for Mac running on Sierra, 10.12.3. Sometimes upon startup the program does not initialize properly, such that it will not go to the home screen. When it does this, I can get to my custom workspaces, but running a search, or looking for a book in the library causes the program to hang, with the "spinning pizza of death". I will attach the Logos logging "sample". 

7140.LogosLogs.toddruddell.20170320-082754.zip

Posts 3183
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 10:54 AM

Hi Rev. Todd

Rev. Todd Ruddell:
Sometimes upon startup the program does not initialize properly, such that it will not go to the home screen.

When this happens what does happen? How are you getting to a state where you can do anything if it doesn't open to the home page? 

Rev. Todd Ruddell:
I can get to my custom workspaces, but running a search, or looking for a book in the library causes the program to hang, with the "spinning pizza of death".

You're able to open a saved layout fine, but if you click the search button (independent of your saved layout) and do a search, or use the find box in the library panel, the app hangs? Does it ever recover? What types of searches? Can you provide the context for the searches (Basic, Bible etc.; what is the scope of the search, etc.) 

The next time this happens can you check your network speed at fast.com and record the final download number it gives you?

Edit: If the hang occurs after loading a layout, are you letting it completely load before running a search? 

Posts 2979
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 11:03 AM

Dang. I thought this thread was going to be about what happened to the spammers.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 26
Rev. Todd Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 4:12 PM

The program opens, and the screen remains plank where the Logos "Home" page would be. No articles, no pictures, etc. The top toolbar is visible, and clicking on "layouts" give me the typical menu for that action. If I do nothing, the program will sit in that state without moving forward to the home screen--I have waited up to about 10 minutes.

As for your second question, no, it does not recover. All kinds of searches yield this result when the program is in this state. There is also a yellow headliner at the top of the library books list (just below the search line) saying that some resources may not be available. 

A separate operation to do a Bible search, or a resource (basic) search, whether searching "everything" or a collection also hangs the program. 

This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes restarting then program seems to reset everything, and all is well. Other times it takes 3 or 4 restarts before it fixes. 

Internet speed is not a problem. I typically run +100Mbps

And finally, yes, the layout is fully loaded before I run a search or look for library resources from the library menu. 

Thanks

Posts 67
Paulo Bechara | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 4:29 PM

very same problem here. I think it has to do with the installation of version 7.5.

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 8:38 PM

Paulo Bechara:

very same problem here. I think it has to do with the installation of version 7.5.

So that you can get the best help possible, Please create a new thread, describing the issue clearly and providing appropriate details (including logs). See my signature line. Similar symptoms does not necessarily mean the "same problem." 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 67
Paulo Bechara | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 8:57 PM

Thanks Alabama. All is well now.

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 9:02 PM

YesSmile

Posts 26
Rev. Todd Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 3 2017 4:38 AM

Here is the latest log on my Logos system, a "sample" during hang:

6431.LogosLogs.toddruddell.20170403-063241.zip

7002.LogosLogs.toddruddell.20170403-063229.zip

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 3 2017 6:09 AM

Rev. Todd Ruddell:
Here is the latest log on my Logos system, a "sample" during hang:

I see over 20 errors about unexpected link sets. Do you have that many linked together? That would certainly lead to sluggishness. Have you tried loading to a blank layout and building a new, simple layout? If so, does that cause the hanging to disappear? 

Posts 26
Rev. Todd Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 3 2017 6:16 AM

I will give that a try. However, I can tell when the system "will" hang, and that is before loading any layouts, because, as I said in my first post, the home page fails to load. When the Logos home page fails to load, I have seen the program hang after loading a layout. Perhaps I could get a sample log before the loading of a layout. The program isn't hung yet, but may reveal errors. 

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 3 2017 6:58 AM

Rev. Todd Ruddell:
I will give that a try. However, I can tell when the system "will" hang, and that is before loading any layouts, because, as I said in my first post, the home page fails to load.

I am not sure, but it is possible that layouts load in the background, even if starting on homepage. 

Posts 26
Rev. Todd Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 4 2017 1:36 PM

After thinking about this, it seems that I will also need to delete the offending layouts, whichever they are, if this truly is the case, correct? 

This may be unrelated, but I have some older E4 resources that are not available any longer from Logos, and are not found in my library. I use them quite often--they are three resources tied together with topical cross references, on the Westminster Standards. Could these be part of the problem? 

By the way: Here's another "sample" from a hang today: Before loading any layouts, just trying a basic search. No SPOD, but no results from the search, only the cyclical progressive movement of the search progress bar. The Logos "Home" page did not load, only the top "bar" with the search, library icons, etc. appeared. Internet speed over 100MBPS. 

1004.LogosLogs.toddruddell.20170404-153143.zip

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 4 2017 5:42 PM

Rev. Todd Ruddell:
they are three resources tied together with topical cross references, on the Westminster Standards. Could these be part of the problem? 

I couldn't see them in the log (only the AV was loaded). But older third party resources can cause problems and Faithlife block them from downloading. Clarify what you mean by "not found in my library"?

Rev. Todd Ruddell:
No SPOD, but no results from the search, only the cyclical progressive movement of the search progress bar. The Logos "Home" page did not load,

There are a number of timeouts and a communication failure that contributed to the Home Page not loading. You might check your network, or contact Customer Service as they can log onto your computer to diagnose the problem.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 981
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 4 2017 9:06 PM

This looks very similar to what I experience on my Mac. 

Does your sync wheel on the right top of the screen spin when Logos becomes non-responsive?

Armin

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS