Add sorting criteria to Basic and Bible searches

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3763
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 20 2017 6:41 AM

Okay, yes, I know criteria can be added to searches using syntax. For instance, I can add subjects or date parameters to my search. The problem of course is that (1) as always, it requires keeping tabs on proper syntax and that alienates many users; (2) the more arguments are added, the more chances of syntax errors or conflicts; (3) it is unwieldy in that one cannot simply switch between criteria as one might between ranked, count, or resource. 

What I suggest is to supply an extensive drop-down sorting list that can come next to the other search criteria (what to search, e.g., surface text and where to search, e.g., commentaries). Next to these two would be a "sort by" option that would give access to a list that includes all the library pane column headers one can sort by (and perhaps others that would be found of frequent and helpful use). Thus I could sort my result by publication date, subject, tags, immediately just as I can switch easily between searching footnotes or surface text. 

Again, I know this can all be done by search syntax also, but I am suggesting a more approachable, convenient and faster approach.

Posts 2200
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 8:37 AM

That is a VERY GOOD idea.

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 20 2017 8:58 AM

Francis:
Again, I know this can all be done by search syntax also, but I am suggesting a more approachable, convenient and faster approach.

The syntax makes me freeze; I have never tried a single syntax search since my L3 beginning.

I read the forums: someone ask how to search for X, or maybe x or xY.  Then I look at the replies, with admiration and a stunned affect.  It really is that complicated  >>  Next!!

I am not an elementary user:  needs a Bible, a dictionary, a 1 volume commentary.  They need this drop down methodology.

But, I do, too.  I am finally researching a complex topic with many opinions + do not know how to keep track of this topic, except to use Favorites.  Favs. is getting too cumbersome with files inside files.  Do I create a new file for this author or subsume his pages under an already existent heading?

So, searching......  It feels like I'm searching for sighs.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS