Bug: Did you know that "and" could have the sense "wealth" or "children" or "kingdom of God"?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 112
Tim Finlay | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 21 2017 11:30 AM

The Senses ring of the Greek word καί ("and") has several bizarre results including "wealth," "children" and "kingdom of God." By contrast, the Senses ring of the corresponding Hebrew word waw has no results whatsoever. This is despite having many different functions, as the various Hebrew lexicons in Logos attest.

Faithlife has made great improvements in the Senses ring from when it first came out, and it is a very valuable tool which I show my classes how to use. The next step is to add good Senses rings to the parts of speech, including conjunctions, where they are lacking but would be very helpful.

Posts 112
Tim Finlay | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 21 2017 11:32 AM

I copied the Greek word for "and" into my post and somehow it got into the title as well. Whoops.

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 21 2017 1:00 PM

You can edit your original post via the More button and prefix the title with Bug:

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 21 2017 2:31 PM

Tim Finlay:
The Senses ring of the Greek word καί ("and") has several bizarre results including "wealth," "children" and "kingdom of God."

It's matching any phrases that are tagged with a sense, and include the word καί. Wealth, for example, comes from ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον (silver and gold). That's clearly unhelpful, and in my opinion it would be better if it displayed nothing at all.

Tim Finlay:
The next step is to add good Senses rings to the parts of speech, including conjunctions, where they are lacking but would be very helpful.

I think this might be difficult, as I don't think Logos can support overlapping senses. To take the earlier example of "silver and gold", that's better tagged as a phrase, rather than as three individual words. καὶ is already sense tagged when it functions as an adverb (e.g. Matt 5:39-40).

Posts 112
Tim Finlay | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 23 2017 7:56 AM

Dave,

I did not know about the More button--thanks for the tip. And I agree that I should have used the "Bug:" prefix.

Mark,

Thanks for explaining the bizarre results. That phrase tagging causes problems. I was not asking for overlapping senses. But eventually in Logos, there should be some database where every waw is tagged according to function. Perhaps a resource underlying Syntax Searches (AFAT or BHS:WIVU) would be best. I think that there are other things Logos needs to correct first for Logos 8 (get the Logos maps back to the usefulness that they had in Logos 4 and 5; solve the right-click menu problem; and enable proper searching on vowel points). But by the time Logos 9 comes out, there should be the OT equivalent of the capability to do searches for "infinitive of greeting," "attributive participle" or "genitive absolute." This would mean searching for "waw of apodosis" or "reflexive niphal" or "imperatival infinitive absolute."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS