What's missing? (No Gk read aloud)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2794
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 24 2017 9:57 AM

After reading Mo Proctor's article on the blog, I was under the impression that since I have the FF dataset-

I should be able to have the Gk text read aloud. But I have no such option-

What am I missing?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2794
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 10:01 AM

Ahhh...don't even bother answering.

I'm sure this was another bait-and-switch article posted by Mo Proctor on the blog. I'm sure I'll learn I can have that capability if only I spend some more money.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 10:01 AM

Doc B:
What am I missing?

The Greek NT Audio resource.

EDIT: If I'm correct, your datasets will give you the pronunciation of lemmas. The read-aloud of bible text, however, requires the resource.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2794
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 10:07 AM

NB.Mick:
your datasets will give you the pronunciation of lemmas

Pronunciation of lemmas has been available since at least L4.

All that additional upgrade cost gives nothing more. No wonder long-time users are souring on FL and Logos.

If anyone needs a wiki article on how to PO loyal customers, that post by Mo is it.

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 10:16 AM

Doc,

I don't know why Mo left that out in the requirements section - probably he owns that resource for so long that he doesn't remember acquiring it. That said: Mo is not on Faithlife's payroll and I don't think his errors and omissions should be debited to FL's account. Adam Borries stepped in on the blog page to answer comments and to clarify the situation there. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 21731
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 10:44 AM

NB.Mick:
I don't know why Mo left that out in the requirements section

The article has recently been updated to clarify this:

"Editor’s Note: The functionality described in this post requires the Greek Audio New Testament, which is available for separate purchase here."

Posts 348
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 11:01 AM

Doc B,

Doc B:
If anyone needs a wiki article on how to PO loyal customers, that post by Mo is it.

Embarrassed You're right, and I'm sorry. 

NB.Mick:
I don't know why Mo left that out in the requirements section - probably he owns that resource for so long that he doesn't remember acquiring it. That said: Mo is not on Faithlife's payroll and I don't think his errors and omissions should be debited to FL's account.

Thanks for that, Mick. We still should have caught it, and we're doing our best to correct it. 

Doc B:
Pronunciation of lemmas has been available since at least L4.

Yep. Logos 3, IIRC. 

Doc B:
All that additional upgrade cost gives nothing more.

Well... you do have Hebrew pronunciation now! And a whole lot of other new features, of course. Small consolation here, perhaps, when you were looking forward to Greek read aloud. But I hope at least you find some value in your Logos 7 upgrade. 

I also made a quick response video to try to clarify the difference between Greek "pronunciation" and Greek "read aloud." Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 2794
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 11:29 AM

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Adam.

I hope the folks at the top of the ladder understand how much damage this kind of thing does. It is unbelievably frustrating. Where Mick is wrong is, it doesn't matter that Mo isn't a FL employee...he is a de facto representative of the company by virtue of his "official" position and access to the blog. A read through the comments on the blog post will verify what I'm saying.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond and for your patience with frustrated customers.

Posts 348
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 2:19 PM

Doc B:

I hope the folks at the top of the ladder understand how much damage this kind of thing does. It is unbelievably frustrating. Where Mick is wrong is, it doesn't matter that Mo isn't a FL employee...he is a de facto representative of the company by virtue of his "official" position and access to the blog.

That makes perfect sense, Doc B. We do have a vetting process in place for blog articles; but even experts like Mo can make an oversight, and even experts like us can miss it. 

But on the larger point: I know it sometimes feels like you have to put up with a lot of mistakes from Faithlife. In a way, the more loyal a customer is, the more opportunity there is to feel like this, just on number of interactions; the longer you are with us, and the more you engage, all the more likely you are to notice when we the drop the ball. And hopefully, by the same token, you also notice that we quickly respond and make it right again--and hopefully not repeat the same mistakes too many times. 

Believe me, the last thing we ever want is to cause frustration. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS