Impossible to find a table of the kings of Israel?!

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19
John F Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 27 2017 12:32 PM

I cannot believe how impossible it is to find a chart of the kings of Israel and the kings of Judah.

I know there is one in my print ESV Study Bible ... yet I cannot generate it in Logos.

Please tell me how in the world I would find such a chart in Logos. I use Reformed Gold and I cannot believe that I don't own several tables of the Kings of Israel in my library.

Please help me search my own library.

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 1:46 PM

There is one in the Zondervan NIV Study Bible. I am on a tablet and do not have a simple way to copy the chart to the forums.  It follows the note for I Kings 15:32.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 233
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 1:55 PM

This is from the Zondervan NIV Study Bible mentioned by Floyd Johnson

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 233
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 2:01 PM

The Expositor's Bible Commentary has a nice chart in the introduction to 1&2 Kings under Chronology.  I am too technology challenged to post a screen clip of it as it is pretty large.

Frank E. Gaebelin et al., Zondervan Publishing House, The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: 1 & 2 Kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, vol. 4 (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1988), iii.

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 2:01 PM

There is one in the Zondervan NIV Study Bible. I am on a tablet and do not have a simple way to copy the chart to the forums.  It follows the note for I Kings 15:32.

There is one on my table's installation of the ESV Study Bible immediately following the note on I Kings 14:29.

Hope that helps.  The first I found by checking the Table of Contents; the second I stumbled on while trying to get to the TOC.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 2:27 PM

John F Jones:

I cannot believe how impossible it is to find a chart of the kings of Israel and the kings of Judah.

I know there is one in my print ESV Study Bible ... yet I cannot generate it in Logos.

Please tell me how in the world I would find such a chart in Logos. I use Reformed Gold and I cannot believe that I don't own several tables of the Kings of Israel in my library.

Here's the link to the table in the ESV Study Bible: https://ref.ly/logosres/esvsb;ref=BibleESV.1Ki12.24;off=255 . I found it by searching for "The Divided Kingdom". I also got one in the NBD by doing a Basic search for "kings of Israel" and it categorised it as Media. The table in the ESV doesn't seem to be marked as media, which is probably why you couldn't find it. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 2:32 PM

John F Jones:

Try typing chart of kings into a Basic Search window.

You should get hits for the Standard Bible Dictionary and the Holman Bible Atlas which are a part of the Reformed base package.  The search results may not be a direct link, but will probably have a link on the page they refer to. 

Here's some direct links to those resources:

https://ref.ly/logosres/stdbibdict;art=kings-of-israel-and-judah-chart

https://ref.ly/logosres/hlmnbblat;ref=Page.p_117

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9080
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 3:18 PM

John F Jones:
Please tell me how in the world I would find such a chart in Logos.

You probably have located what you want from the above suggestions. I'd suggest you get the ESV Study Bible in Logos format so you'll have all that good content. There is a file here that you can download and use to create a personal book that will give you an index of all the inline maps in that resource. There is also an index for the charts here.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 3:37 PM

Another way is to use the timeline. I got a list of what I think was them all using 

Subject - keep everything ticked

Type - Individual and then  Reign 

Type - Israel or Judah

This also gives hyperlinks for more information about each king if you hover over them on the timeline

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 3:38 PM

sorry the first type should have been subject

Posts 10126
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 4:04 PM

I assume there is no answer to the OP's question.  Years back, charts and tables were tagged.

The blog below was an interesting deja vu, complete with confused Logosians.

https://blog.logos.com/2013/11/logos-5-locate-specific-charts-and-tables/ 

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 4:05 PM

John C Connell Jr.:

The Expositor's Bible Commentary has a nice chart in the introduction to 1&2 Kings under Chronology.  I am too technology challenged to post a screen clip of it as it is pretty large.

Frank E. Gaebelin et al., Zondervan Publishing House, The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: 1 & 2 Kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, vol. 4 (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1988), iii.

Was this the chart you were referring to?

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 4:11 PM

John F Jones:

ESVSB Links

https://ref.ly/logosres/esvsb;ref=Page.p_622

https://ref.ly/logosres/esvsb;ref=Page.p_628

Posts 9080
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 4:16 PM

No one seems to have mentioned doing a Media search, limiting it to Charts and Tables, and searching for Kings or for "Divided Kingdom". That may or may not bring up the chart you want in your resources. It located some in mine.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 4:31 PM

John F Jones:
Please tell me how in the world I would find such a chart in Logos.

Milestone search of All Text can find chart in ESV Study Bible:

((king,kingdom,kings) NEAR (Israel,Judah)) INTERSECTS {Milestone <1K11-14>}

Media search of Charts, Diagrams, Infographics, Tables, Timelines:

(king,kingdom,kings) NEAR (Israel,Judah)

Basic search of Heading Text, Large Text, Surface Text, Title in English Library without Bibles (Lang:English -Type:Bible)

(divided,kingdom,kings) NEAR chart

Note: Standard Bible Dictionary has Large Text and Surface Text, which needs Surface Text search to find chart.

Basic Search result pop-up does not show chart lines, but does have various years:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19
John F Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 4:57 PM

This is very helpful, thank you. I guess my main problem is that so many of these rich Bible study features (e.g. charts) are not tagged. A search will seldom reveal them, regardless of the size of your library. 

Posts 19
John F Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 5:00 PM

This doesn't yield any results from my library. I don't get any pings from the "media" category. I just don't think charts get tagged.

Posts 19
John F Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 5:01 PM

Yep, this works handily. Good idea. If I want a list of all of the kings together, however, I need to utilize a separate document, like a chart or table.

Posts 19
John F Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 5:07 PM

You know, I use Logos 7, and Mr. Proctor's search advice yielded nothing. I don't get why it is so hard to find a chart of the kings during the divided kingdom. I have probably a dozen example on my bookcase, but if I have any in Logos, I'll have to dig forever.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS